Consolodation = Crap Music?
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2014, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
In a recent post KLAISAINE posed a question about why music seems to be, well, sucking. On a broad scale, especially in "popular" music. It does seem that the forces of economic pressure seem to be pushing music through a very small hose. More and more sounds the same and very little sounds "good". To Wit!!!

Handy infographic!! Most of the media companies that make all this music, have consolidated. Meaning, most everything you watch/see/hear/read/etc. comes from one of 6, yes 6 companies.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 11 2014, 12:58 AM
"The freedom to choose what is always the same" - T. Adorno (1944)

The internet. You can find everything out there. And everybody finds the same thing ... not much of anything really.
I firmly believe that the 'freedom' (of choice) the internet promises is absolutely an illusion. There are so many splintered and fractioned groups and sub-genres of 'stuff' out there that no one has the time to look at even .001 percent of it.

The mechanisms that are supposed to 'help' you filter it are all geared (whether they or you realize it or not) towards the one avenue that they (or you) feel is worthy or cool or good or whatever. Folks are more into their own 'one' thing than in any other time that I've been alive. It blows me away how 1-dimensional people's art experiences and choices are right now.

It's like the 'craft' beer thing here in the states. Which is great, I love beer but now it's all just IPA. All anybody wants to drink or brew is an IPA ... and I don't really dig IPA. We had this great potential renaissance of decent brewing in the states and it's devolved (generally) into one f'ng type. 'The freedom to choose what is always the same'.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 11 2014, 02:26 AM

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Nov 11 2014, 01:42 AM
"you can do it your own way if it's done just how i say" - James Hetfield

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2014, 02:31 AM
Very true wink.gif Even the "indie" blogs fall victim to this. A general consensus develops very quickly on what music is "good" and what music is "crap". and I"ve noticed that even the Death Metal/Black Metal/Sub Genre Here Metal blogs are no better.

Once a prominent critique in any genre "Blesses" a given release, the viewpoint trickles through the smaller blogs and down to the forums and going against the prevailing view will get you nothing but wads of hate.

I myself have fallen victim to this pattern on occasion when I happen to agree with the "consensus". For example CARCASS were under appreciated for 20 years, but to mock or malign them in a Metal Forum was to ask for immediate reprisal posts from everyone reading. This seemed justified to me as I think CARCASS were 20 years ahead of their time and glad to see them finally getting the respect they deserve.

I now realize was just piling on the prevailing view just because I shared that view. Such things are what help eliminate the voices of dissent that are so critical to finding new music/alternative viewpoints etc.

Still, I do love Carcass and I"m glad to see them on tour again, getting interviewed everywhere, and talking about releasing another album. The most recent work of theres was just killer. But I"m open to other things as well, and open to the idea that some folks think "CARCASS SUCKS" smile.gif

Old Carcass

New Carcass

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 10 2014, 07:58 PM) *
"The freedom to choose what is always the same" - T. Adorno (1944)

The internet. You can find everything out there. And everybody finds the same thing ... not much of anything really.
I firmly believe that the 'freedom' (of choice) the internet promises is absolutely an illusion. There are so many splintered and fractioned groups and sub-genres of 'stuff' out there that no one has the time to look at even .001 percent of it.

The mechanisms that are supposed to 'help' you filter it are all geared (whether they or you realize it or not) towards the one avenue that they (or you) feel is worthy or cool or good or whatever. Folks are more into their own 'one' thing than in any other time that I've been alive. It blows me away how 1-dimensional people's art experiences and choices are right now.

It's like the 'craft' beer thing here in the states. Which is great, I love beer but now it's all just IPA. All anybody wants to drink or brew is an IPA ... and I don't really dig IPA. We had this great potential renaissance of decent brewing in the states and it's devolved (generally) into one f'ng type. 'The freedom to choose what is always the same'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:28 AM