Recording A Second Guitar, with the same guitar...
SonofDestiny
Jul 21 2008, 10:46 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMC,

I've uploaded a short recording I did with two guitars. I'm just not happy with the second guitar. Do I just play it too sloppy or does it have something to do with my recording? How do I make sure that the lead guitar sounds better?

I hope you know what to do. Thanks! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  voor_niels.mp3 ( 204.99K ) Number of downloads: 158

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 21 2008, 10:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jul 21 2008, 11:46 AM) *
Hey GMC,

I've uploaded a short recording I did with two guitars. I'm just not happy with the second guitar. Do I just play it too sloppy or does it have something to do with my recording? How do I make sure that the lead guitar sounds better?

I hope you know what to do. Thanks! smile.gif

Your lead doesn't realy jump out of the rhythm guitar. If you make the sound more edgy, you'll get a better result.

::Dutch:: probeer het geluid iets scheller te maken, dit krijg je het best door met je EQ te spelen::Dutch::

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jul 21 2008, 12:06 PM
Learning Roadie
if i was you i'd add around a 1.5db increase to the mid range frequencies of ur lead guitar, add a small amount of delay and get rid of the reverb on the lead.
having a mess around with the tone of your guitar would definatly benefit you, getting 2 different tones that compliment eachother is a great thing.

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jul 21 2008, 01:58 PM
Did you pan the two channels? Having two different presets for the guitars will make a world of difference as Munta suggested.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 21 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the comments smile.gif I'll give it a shot later today, but I can't now because there's somebody sleeping dry.gif (My amp has to be pretty loud to sound well).

What do you mean by pan fatb0t?

@ Munta: I got rid of my reverb and my rhythm sounds waaaayy cooler now!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jul 21 2008, 03:28 PM
Send one to each speaker. You can use varying degrees of pan. Sometimes hard right and hard left sounds good. Sometimes around 35-40 % pan each way, experiment..... Pan is a huge part of getting a great recording.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 02:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Panning is the good way to make it different than the rhythm guitar..Other thing is the sound, you want to make a different tone for leads , more bright , try using different pickups position...Adjust the amp differently...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 22 2008, 02:42 PM
Instructor
I agree, use the pan to find the best way to mix them !!! it's very important to distribute the guitar in the stereo field wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 24 2008, 04:59 PM
Instructor
There is two acoustics facts you must know.
1- If the tone for two sounds is the same the louder one mask the weaker. (use some eq)
2-Be careful with cancelations.

And anotherthing is the rythm if you put some guitars in parael rythm (the same exact rythm) you can expect a strong and may be colorfull line, but not independency of lines.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:19 PM