Bass Collab, Final mix and comments
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 23 2010, 04:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello everyone. I pleased to bring you the final mix of the first bass collab at GMC. This has been very interesting and we should do these more often definitely! smile.gif

Here is the final mix : Attached File  Bass_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 4.1MB ) Number of downloads: 201

Guitarrero

Very cool take to open this collab. Your bass sound was very good for recording. All the notes were in place and the line itself is nice. Its a little bit "guitar like" but if you wanted to go for a riff oriented bass line that is a little pushed in front - you got it. I wish you developed it a little more in terms of dynamics as its sounding repetitive when played like this. You could start "shy" and easy and develop it into full riff once drums kick in full. Play softer in the beginning where drums are hitting the side stick. Once they kick in - then go to full drive. That would be more appropriate regarding dynamics. Only downside not regarding details I found was that you were not tight enough in time with the drums. You were rushing and only later on you get in the groove (which you can hear clearly from 0:24)

Great take overall! Hope you find these tips inspiring.
Thanks for joining this collab, hope to see you in next ones too!

NoSkill

Very raw sounding bass sound. Fender can be heard clearly wink.gif This was a well composed classic support bass line. I like the line and the fact that you tried to lock on with the kick drums. I also like the development of the line - its interesting. What I suggest for next time is to play even more tight with the drums as in this take you were rushing in front of the kick drum most of the time and that is so called - anti beat. You will find your bass pocket on the beat or slightly behind it. Just try to relax and be "late" on purpose. Also in licks you were having problems with getting all the notes out (and in time) due to fingerpicking. Try exercising different patterns and string skipping to get your right hand going on those changes. Generally this was a cool take, good job!

Kaznie_NL

Glad to have you in my first bass collab. This was pretty nice and interesting. Only downside is that you missed the progression sad.gif Backing track is playing Am-F-G and you were constantly outlining Am-G-F so that is the reason why bass doesn't sound good against the backing. Overall bass line is interesting. I like the fact you used roots more and didn't go for too many "outside notes". I would suggest concentrating on the listening part though as should be able to "hear" that notes you chose didn't go well with the chords. This is normal though, we all sometimes get concentrated on our part that we just forget to really listen to what others are doing... Thanks for participating in this one - hope to see you in future ones too!

Sonny_NL

Slightly lower level of bass recorded + missing some low end? How did you record it? Generally this was interesting idea for bass line but you had some timing issues. Try to lock in the groove with the drums. Listen to what the kick drum is playing and try to match it by playing root notes. That is the easiest and most effective approach to get in the groove and start building your bass line. If you are not soloing you want to concentrate on supporting chords played by other instruments. Notes that are most useful for that are chord tones (triads). Try to base you bass line around those notes and only after that - add scale notes, approach notes, licks etc...For the next collab I want you to take these ideas in and try to get in the groove better. I have an impression that you tried to go for something complicated and with bass its most often - simple is better smile.gif

Keep up the good work Sonny!

See you in my next collab! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 23 2010, 04:49 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jun 23 2010, 05:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for taking the time to do this collab, Bogdan, and thank you for your constructive comments and suggestions. I look forward to the next bass collab. This was an excellent exercise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
sonny_NL
Jun 23 2010, 06:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey bogdan, thanks for your comment, it can help me with the future bass collabs. i recorded it with pod studio and reaper. but i agree the sound is not ok smile.gif

Greetz, and thankyou! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 24 2010, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jun 23 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Thanks for taking the time to do this collab, Bogdan, and thank you for your constructive comments and suggestions. I look forward to the next bass collab. This was an excellent exercise.

Glad you like the collab! Hope to see you in future ones to! smile.gif

QUOTE (sonny_NL @ Jun 23 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Hey bogdan, thanks for your comment, it can help me with the future bass collabs. i recorded it with pod studio and reaper. but i agree the sound is not ok smile.gif

Greetz, and thankyou! smile.gif

Thanks for participating man! smile.gif Regarding recording next time, just try to capture a stronger signal (volume on virtual amp up) + get some bass frequencies in the mix. See you in my next collab! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 30 2010, 08:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Bole, sory for the hasty take tongue.gif But it was fun anyway, pls do another one!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 30 2010, 08:45 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jun 30 2010, 09:00 PM) *
Thanks Bole, sory for the hasty take tongue.gif But it was fun anyway, pls do another one!

It's ok, we'll do a new one this month so you'll have opportunity to record something more precise smile.gif

Glad I had you in this one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:37 AM