> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Hiimalex's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Yes! Please practice it for some days and then post a video here to let me check your progress. Don't regret about the past, enjoy the present and future. Practice every day and you'll see great results soon. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Oct 23 2014, 09:51 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey

I have now been practicing this lessons for some days and here is my progress so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_FzW-ywr2c...eature=youtu.be unfortunately I saw now after I already had recorded that most of the time my fretting hand was out of camera but the picking hand is most important in this exercise so it won't matter that much ^^
Also my V-Picks arrived today and I gotta say that they are much better than the picks I had before. I ordered two different V-Picks but for now my favorite is Todd's signature pick SwitchBlade.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2014, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex!

I can say that your alternate picking is slowly progressing but there is still work to do. The slower sections are much better, there is still some room to improve dynamics, but timing is precise. The problem appears when you have to play 16th notes which is a figure that you can't reach tight yet. I can note that you still have sync problems, but the main issue is that the rhythm is not precise.

You should try to keep your right hand relaxed when you play the faster section, I can notice some tension in your hand when it's time for the 16th notes. Try to relax your hand and wrist when you play it. I recommend you to only practice 16th notes over a metronome to get used to the rhythm and to be able to focus on relaxing your hand while you play at this speed.

Finally, be sure that you are playing all the notes. Most of the times you have to play eight 16th notes and I can hear just 5 or 6.

Congrats on your new V-picks! Are you using it on this video? What differences do you note?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Oct 24 2014, 12:30 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey General Leopardi!

I used V-picks in this video, and in terms of sound I notice that they defiently sound darker well I had 0.88 before but I also notice that they sound a bit thicker. Do you want a video of me playing 16th notes ?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Oct 24 2014, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 26 2014, 05:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Oct 24 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Hey General Leopardi!

I used V-picks in this video, and in terms of sound I notice that they defiently sound darker well I had 0.88 before but I also notice that they sound a bit thicker. Do you want a video of me playing 16th notes ?

Thanks for the information soldier! and yes! I want the video. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Oct 27 2014, 02:20 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel!

How are you?? Here is my video of me playing 16th notes smile.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SfCPHAS4Fc...eature=youtu.be
Am I ready for a new mission General Leopardi?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Oct 27 2014, 02:21 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2014, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, your 16th notes need more practice. The notes are note sounding defined and you are not accentuating the first of each 4 notes to make the rhythm sound clearer. Remember that the note that goes with the beat needs to be a bit accentuated in order to make the groups of 4 16th notes more defined. This means that the alternate picking lesson still needs more practice. Please practice it slowly and always over metronome or a backing track.

This is the new routine for the next weeks:

ALEX'S GUITAR ROUTINES - #2

Time to practice: 1.5 hours per day

- WARMING UP

http://youtu.be/1XsLRQFV7rY
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

- RHYTHM

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Punk-Lesson/

- PHRASING

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...nner-solo-in-d/

- ALTERNATE PICKING

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 29 2014, 06:34 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Oct 28 2014, 03:29 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel smile.gif

I think this new weekly routine seems to be fun and good for me. But I have a request if I could have your Pop Punk lesson as rhythm lesson instead? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Punk-Lesson/
Or this one? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Like-Brian-May/
I will also practice to accentuate the first of each 4 notes, I did not know I was supposed to do it before but I will try to apply it now.

Also I really want my alternate picking to be good But it does not feel like I make any progress.

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Oct 29 2014, 03:43 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2014, 06:34 PM
Instructor
This sounds great alex! I updated the routine! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 3 2014, 11:39 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel! smile.gif

How was your weekend?

Anyways pracitce is going great since I started using Guitar Pro 6 Lite everytime I practice smile.gif
Now when I has tried the 1.5 mm picks for 10 days I have come to the conclusion that I prefer 0.8 mm picks, do you want me to practice more with the 1.5 mm picks or can I start to use the 0.8 mm picks? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2014, 04:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Nov 3 2014, 07:39 AM) *
Hey Gabriel! smile.gif

How was your weekend?

Anyways pracitce is going great since I started using Guitar Pro 6 Lite everytime I practice smile.gif
Now when I has tried the 1.5 mm picks for 10 days I have come to the conclusion that I prefer 0.8 mm picks, do you want me to practice more with the 1.5 mm picks or can I start to use the 0.8 mm picks? smile.gif

Hi Alex, thanks for asking! Check out a pic from my weekend. smile.gif

Attached Image

I'm really curious to know how you are using Guitar Pro, and the reasons why it helped to be more motivated to practice. It's interesting!

About the pick. Well, there is not a good and a bad option, there are guitarists that prefer thicker picks while others use thinner. The most important thing is to check that the pick is not so thin that when you pick fast alternate picking is sound sloppy. How to try it? Play open string 16th notes at different tempos, record it and listen to the sound that you get. Feel free to share the audios here.

I would't choose one or the other just because it's easier, I would put tone on the first place. Difficulty can be worked.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 3 2014, 08:01 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel! biggrin.gif

Also the pic of yourself looks totally awesome wink.gif
From what I have seen on Facebook and Instagram I understand that you gig quite alot smile.gif

I use Guitar Pro mainly to check that I play everything correctly in both timing and how it is supposed to be played. I also use Guitar Pro with the built in metronome to practice along. Something very good about it is to break down and slow down specific parts that I struggle with for example in Picking hand basics I have been having problems with these stupid 16th notes but there is also one part in Muris's Beginner Solo in D where you play 16th notes triplets and then I have taken this specific part in put it in a new Guitar Pro file so I can practice this part and get it up to speed slowly.
If you have any other tips that I can use Guitar Pro in a better way, I would greatly appreciate them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, thanks for your words. Yeah, we have been doing lots of gigs this year. We are also working on new music so there are great things coming. smile.gif

About guitar pro, you're doing the best use you can give to it. I find looping and slowing tempo as it's best tools to help you to master the tricky parts of GMC lessons. It's a great software if you use it wisely. Well done!

When are new videos coming?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 4 2014, 02:21 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gab! biggrin.gif

Well I have to practice Beginner Solo in D more, your Pop Punk lesson can maybe be done at the end of this week and Ben's Picking Hand Basics should be uploaded in a couple of days, sounds good? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2014, 05:44 PM
Instructor
Sounds great! Looking forward it. Feel free to post the videos at REC, to also receive feedback from other instructors, and please notify me here as soon as you post it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 8 2014, 05:43 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel!

Here is my second take on the Picking hand basics smile.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWRrbamZyhs...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2014, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex, thanks for this new video.

I can notice a progress in your alternate picking playing. You are trying to accentuate the notes that I suggested and that starts to make the rhythms clearer and your playing more dynamic. The first part is sounding tight, but I think that you should try to make your right hand move more relaxed, it's a bit rigid yet. Remember to also let your arm move a bit from your elbow when you play alternate picking.

When you reach the faster sections, you keep on doing a good job with dynamics but the timing problems start to appear. There are even some notes lacking when you play the 16th notes near to the end. This means that the second half of this lesson still need more practice to feel comfortable with the tempo.

So remember, keep on improving dynamics, try to relax more your right hand while you play, do the movement smoother, and isolate the faster sections to improve picking and timing.

Ok? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 9 2014, 02:33 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hey Gabriel smile.gif

I will slow down and just practice the faster sections separately so I can improve on dynamics and timing better and then get it up to speed. But your feedback sounds good to me, I will keep working hard and trying to do my best smile.gif

Also I am thinking about getting myself a overdrive/boost pedal but I am unsure because I get more than enough gain from my amplifier, what is your opinion?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Nov 9 2014, 03:05 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2014, 04:11 PM
Instructor
You won't regret in the future if you invest on a good overdrive pedal. You can gave them many uses when you play live with a band but also at the home studio for practicing and recording.

It can be used as a preamp before your amp to shape the tone. There is something magical that happens when you turn on a tube screamer before an amp, even with drive (gain) in 1. You can also try setting drive around 4 and 5 and mayb lowering the drive of your amp. It gaves you different colors and possibilities. For playing live, it can also be used to boost solos and arrangements and to have a softer drive sound turning it on while using the clean channel of your amp.

The best option is getting an ibanez tube screamer, but there are lots of clones of it, so you can go to the music store and try some of them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Nov 10 2014, 07:08 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Ah Thanks Gabriel, I will see what Santa can bring to me biggrin.gif

Also regarding the Picking Hand basics lessons, I gotta learn to get good dynamics while being relaxed in my hand. At the moment I can only do one of these things.

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Nov 10 2014, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:23 AM