$300 Tube Screamer Clones Abound
Todd Simpson
May 31 2020, 03:53 AM
GMC:er
GODLYKE distributing who make some great tube screamers have a new one called the APEX which streets for $300. I remember paying that for my hand built, boutique, Bulb Drive back in the day. It does seem a pinch much for another screamer. It sounds nice and all, but they make other screamers for about half that price. Here is a vid about it. Whaddya think? Worth the price?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 31 2020, 10:52 AM
Learning Roadie
It's got more haunting mids and much more mojo.

People keep buying them and then justifying why they bought it to others. Rather than learning their gear and practicing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 1 2020, 07:27 AM
I think your right smile.gif About everything. It's good some very cool tone going on. But yeah, gear lust causes folks to spend more time working to get money for gear than actually spending time practicing. I see folks with really impressive gear setups on youtube and then they start playing and it's a bit of a letdown. Almost like they bought a pro touring musicians rig without bothering to learn to play like a pro touring musician.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 31 2020, 05:52 AM) *
It's got more haunting mids and much more mojo.

People keep buying them and then justifying why they bought it to others. Rather than learning their gear and practicing.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 1 2020, 06:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Yep... Says I who owns a James Tyler Burning Water and has been using Fractal Audio gear since 2008 sad.gif

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jun 1 2020, 06:35 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 1 2020, 07:06 PM
The coveted original TS808s and TS9s, which were $49.00 in 1979 (I remember them listing at $79.00 in 1983 or '84) were meant to plugged into a cranked tube amp (Marshall specifically) to 1) increase gain and 2) tighten it up. Exactly what everybody still uses them for - even in software.
Ironically, the boutique $300 Screamers are now designed to stand alone as your overdrive. In order for them to IMO sound good in that application, they sort of cease to be Tube Screamers.

I did buy a new Maxon 'Earthquaker Devices' edition TS recently (OD808-40E) and it's really awesome ... but it's not a Tube Screamer. In fact, it would probably flub out a cranked amp because it's got more low end. *I found it for a reasonable price on Reverb.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 2 2020, 04:31 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2020, 06:35 AM
The "coveted" TS original pedals are starting to spike up in price it seems. Who knows, they may start heading to KLON territory at some point, in terms of price. These units are getting more rare as time goes on. Even the ones that are said to be identical reproductions don't quite seem to have the mojo of the original. Thus the units get harder to find and get more expensive to buy. Looking back, it's amazing how far the humble tube screamer has come.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 1 2020, 02:06 PM) *
The coveted original TS808s and TS9s, which were $49.00 in 1979 (I remember them listing at $79.00 in 1983 or '84) were meant to plugged into a cranked tube amp (Marshall specifically) to 1) increase gain and 2) tighten it up. Exactly what everybody still uses them for - even in software.
Ironically, the boutique $300 Screamers are now designed to stand alone as your overdrive. In order for them to IMO sound good in that application, they sort cease to be Tube Screamers.

I did buy a new Maxon 'Earthquaker Devices' edition TS recently (OD808-40E) and it's really awesome ... but it's not a Tube Screamer. In fact, it would probably flub out a cranked amp because it's got more low end. *I found it for a reasonable price on Reverb.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:08 PM