A Hard Days Night Secret Chord ?
Ben Higgins
Sep 9 2012, 07:38 PM
Instructor
Scientists claim to have identified the weird chord at the beginning of a Hard Days Night by The Beatles. They reckon it's an Fadd9 with a piano adding extra notes.. or something like that.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mystery-beatles-c...-171840692.html

What do you think ? I didn't know it so had to listen to it on YT. (not a Beatles fan, sorry !) smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 9 2012, 08:10 PM
GMC:er
Well what I've heard was pretty much the same..
George Harrison played a Fadd9 as they stated on his 12 string Rickenbacker, but a piano, bass and another guitar added some extra notes, but one way to play it without having a piano and a bass would be playing a G7sus4, I've also seen that someone says its a G7sus4 being played on the 12 string Rickenbacker and then a Fadd9 being played on an acoustic, anyways, I don't really care that much about it, as long as it sounds nice smile.gif, but I think you can play G7sus4 and or Fadd9, I had a DVD where a guitarist named Michael Casewell showed it and if I remember correctly he played a G7sus4 on a 12 sring Rickenbacker.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Blister
Sep 10 2012, 03:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 9 2012, 03:10 PM) *
... I've also seen that someone says its a G7sus4 being played on the 12 string Rickenbacker and then a Fadd9 being played on an acoustic...

"The Beatles Guitar" book I have uses the G7sus4. Whether that is the original chord I'm not sure. Noted in the book says the arrangements were written to embody the essence & style of John & George's guitar playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 10 2012, 09:26 AM
Instructor
Good insights, guys !! It's quite cool that this has remained a talking point all these years smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 10 2012, 09:26 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 10 2012, 10:24 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 9 2012, 07:38 PM) *
Scientists claim to have identified the weird chord at the beginning of a Hard Days Night by The Beatles. They reckon it's an Fadd9 with a piano adding extra notes.. or something like that.

They're rather late to the party as George Harrison said this way back in an interview - see Dominic Pedlar's book 'The songwriting secrets of the Beatles'.

The piano was played by George Martin who was playing a sus2 progression, McCartney was playing 'd' notes on his bass, Harrison (12 string electric) and Lennon (6 string acoustic) both played F add9s. Geroge Martin's piano by the way is documented in the recording session logs so was hardly a secret smile.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bossie
Sep 10 2012, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
Interesting ..but i've been to the beatle festival in liverpool couple of weeks ago..totally full of it now .. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:10 AM