Trying To Clean Up My Hard Drive
dcz702
May 31 2013, 11:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
ive already moved itunes and iphoto to a external hard drive, all music and pictures i add go on that drive automitically.
when i go to, about this mac tab it shows i have 144 gb of movies on my main drive. i have already loooked in my movie files on this drive and i cant find anything! i have looked all over my main hard drive still cant find it.

i have been doing my rec takes by recording into logic and then importing video from quiktime pro into logic to do the video and audio sync right inside my daw, so im assuming its gotta be in there somewhere but i still cant find it. im trying to figure this out cause it wont be long till my hard drive is full anyone knwo whats going on with the videos i import into logic? is this whats taking up space? the purple bar is videos

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 31 2013, 11:09 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2013, 11:35 PM
GMC:er
The videos are not actually imported in to the project file itself but are pointed to by the project file. If you know the file name, you can run a simple search to see where it lives on your drive even after import smile.gif That's what handy about logic, it keeps other files discrete and separate.

You could put it together in Imovie, or FCPX in which case the movie is actually pulled in to the project file which is why those projects get so bit.

Also, you could do it in Garage band, but the video editing in garage band is very very limited.

I usually record using quicktime pro while I"m doing a take in logic then export the audio from logic and put the video together in FINAL CUT PRO 7 or FCP X. That way I've got more options on the Video itself.

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 31 2013, 06:07 PM) *
ive already moved itunes and iphoto to a external hard drive, all music and pictures i add go on that drive automitically.
when i go to, about this mac tab it shows i have 144 gb of movies on my main drive. i have already loooked in my movie files on this drive and i cant find anything! i have looked all over my main hard drive still cant find it.

i have been doing my rec takes by recording into logic and then importing video from quiktime pro into logic to do the video and audio sync right inside my daw, so im assuming its gotta be in there somewhere but i still cant find it. im trying to figure this out cause it wont be long till my hard drive is full anyone knwo whats going on with the videos i import into logic? is this whats taking up space? the purple bar is videos

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2013, 11:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
On Mac, some "duplicate" files can be found in iTunes folder and also in "project files" folders of video editing software (like iMac). It would make a copy of the files and you might want clean it up afterwards. I don't have experience with logic, but if you are seeing a lot of data which you can't find, maybe try searching by video extension (for example .mp4) in the finder and then sorting files via file size. That should show you some big files and where they are located.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 1 2013, 12:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Todd I don't know the file names. What I've been doing is after each time I edit my movies or rec takes in either logic or I movie I save the finished product a separat mp3 and movie rec take and put it on my external drive. Then I delet the takes and video off my main drive cause I don't need them anymore. But it seems I have video I can't find. That I want to delete.

Bogdan
I will search for the extensions I have not tried that yet. I just don't want to delet essential files. In the past when I bought a external hard drive and moved things over I accidentaly deleted some logic files so how do I know which ones are safe to delete?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 1 2013, 10:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 1 2013, 01:27 AM) *
Todd I don't know the file names. What I've been doing is after each time I edit my movies or rec takes in either logic or I movie I save the finished product a separat mp3 and movie rec take and put it on my external drive. Then I delet the takes and video off my main drive cause I don't need them anymore. But it seems I have video I can't find. That I want to delete.

Bogdan
I will search for the extensions I have not tried that yet. I just don't want to delet essential files. In the past when I bought a external hard drive and moved things over I accidentaly deleted some logic files so how do I know which ones are safe to delete?

Too bad I don't have Logic experience but if it works like other DAWs, you should be able to find complete project files folders for your songs/projects. Basically, you want to save the full project files folder to external drive if you want to keep the project intact and working (when you decide to re-record something, edit etc). No files from the actual project should be deleted.

When it comes to video and itunes - if you have added it externally (imported the video to itunes), there will be a copy of the video file in the iTunes folder. It is usually safe to delete this file from iTunes as you might have the original source somewhere else on the hard drive.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 1 2013, 10:21 AM
You can try this program, it scans your Mac and gives a visual representation of where all your files are stored.

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jun 2 2013, 05:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Did you check on Finder - All my Files/on the top of the finder list ?

then sometimes with some programs could by some folder into documents ?

and maybe after all that try a p-ram reset !

Do you work with different users ? maybe under public folder ?

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jun 2 2013, 05:44 PM) *

and what i recognize !!!

I can not see your complete hard drive on folder list !

So as hardware there is only ``my Book `` what is your external drive and your mac s complete harddrive is not visible !

So go under Finder Settings ( sorry my english !) the third part ( in german Seitenleiste) lateral strip - i hope the right translation !?

and click on your MAC to get it to view on finder now !

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jun 2 2013, 05:53 PM) *

and what i recognize !!!

I can not see your complete hard drive on folder list !

So as hardware there is only ``my Book `` what is your external drive and your mac s complete harddrive is not visible !

So go under Finder Settings ( sorry my english !) the third part ( in german Seitenleiste) lateral strip - i hope the right translation !?

and click on your MAC to get it to view on finder now !

here is my example my iMac is called Adminles iMac this is the whole hard drive !

[attachment=32131:Ohne_Titel.tiff]

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 2 2013, 05:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Don't forget your hidden p0rn folder, that is probably taking up at least 50 Gb tongue.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2013, 05:55 PM
BOGDAN is spot on smile.gif Use finder and search for .mov files and arrange by SIZE. You'll see the big ones.

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 31 2013, 07:27 PM) *

Bogdan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:31 AM