Firewire Audio Interface On A Firewireless Laptop
Nobody
Nov 11 2009, 12:40 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

i'm pretty confused here. I am planing on getting a new audio interface and the one I've chosen is connected trough firewire.
But on my laptop I only have a USB port. Is it possible to get a Firewire Interface working on a laptop that doesn't have this port? And if I connect somehow the Firewire to a USB port am I going to have delay because USB is slower?

Please help :]

Cheers,
Hristiyan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 11 2009, 01:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm if your laptop has a possibility of extension slot, maybe you can get a firewire card for it :
http://www.firewire-1394.com/cards-firewir...ook-cardbus.htm

I'm not sure how process goes though...

There are firewire to usb adapters around but I'm not sure how they work. USB 2.0 is not that slow at all in comparison to firewire 400.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nobody
Nov 11 2009, 02:22 PM
Well I saw those cards but I'm not pretty sure what's the difference between them and this (except for the price):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1M-USB-2-to-Firewire...=item4837304ed6

I just want to make sure that I can make it work without having extra latency or something like this :/

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 11 2009, 02:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm those express cards go in a certain slot on a laptop (instead of CD drive I guess), someone with laptop should be able to explain better and they would provide the best speed and same experience as if you had firewire integrated. I don't know about those adapters (usb to firewire), price is pretty small you could test it out how it performs...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
twist
Nov 11 2009, 03:22 PM
Either a USB 2.0 to Firewire Adapter or an express Card Firewire Adapter would work as USB 2.0 transports 480 Mbit/s and Firewire 400 is at 400 Mbit/s. If you realy need firewire 800, it would be a problem... If i remeber it correct PC Card Adapters could go up to 1066 Mbit/s but the share the bandwith with other system parts.

I would go with an express card or usb adapter.

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Clare
Nov 11 2009, 03:42 PM
Learning Roadie
When i first bought my equipment for recording i bought a PRE-SONUS firewire audio interface, i got it home and no way would windows recognize the driver, i even had pre-sonus tech support on the line at the time and even they couldn,t figure it out so i took it back to the music store and bought a USB audio interface an EDIROL UA-25EX and it,s been working perfectly since the day i installed it.......don,t know if this is any help to ya????

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Nov 11 2009, 03:54 PM
If your laptop has an PCMCIA slot, then you can buy a card like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nisis-16801-PCMCIA...d/dp/B00027YIJ0

Those cards should run everything at full speed, just like any internal firewire port.

This post has been edited by Gilmore: Nov 11 2009, 03:56 PM

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2009, 02:17 AM
Instructor
Did you buy the audio interface already? If not, you should consider getting USB one. USB will not create latency by itself, don't worry.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:29 PM