Is Is Possible To Get A Injury From Playing Guitar, could i get that repeated strain injury thing
Kevin98497
Aug 31 2007, 05:03 AM
GMC:er
i have been doing lots of extended times of tense fretboard work, and i was just wondering if it is bad to practice like that. could the cartatrige in my finger get worn out? could i get that strain injury people get?
because my piano teacher always tells me never be tense when im playing music.... so it just got me thinkin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 31 2007, 06:22 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Aug 31 2007, 12:03 AM) *
tense fretboard work

IF you are tense you will make less progress (believe me I know!). Its well worth working on the tenseness as a thing in its own right because it will hold you back. You make the best progress when you are perfectly relaxed - thats one of the reasons that playing slowly to a metronome is so good - at slow speeds you are relaxed and your body learns what you need it to. If you are not relaxed you can;t play as fast or smoothly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 31 2007, 08:54 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Exactly. and an injury is possible, ive injured myself recently overdoing it. and i think Kris himself overdid it once and couldnt play for 6 months!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 31 2007, 12:05 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 31 2007, 01:54 AM) *
Exactly. and an injury is possible, ive injured myself recently overdoing it. and i think Kris himself overdid it once and couldnt play for 6 months!

yeah i also recall him saying that. So be careful, remember to always Warm Up, stay relaxed, and start slowly. 6 months without playing is alot of progress lost!!!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 1 2007, 01:13 AM
Instructor
Yeah, when it hurts take a break!!!
My left hand got completely paralyzed at some point for a few days.
Had to get courtizone shots. Almost got surgery, but thank God the problem fixed itself with rest..
Be careful!
Practicing guitar seriusly is similar to athlete training for the Olympics..
Take it easy and be careful.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 1 2007, 01:24 AM
yea if it starts to hurt stop!. You don't need to be tense to play and thats where many injuries come from. Try slowing it down and working on going nice and smooth and this should help with not getting injuries smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Sep 2 2007, 08:36 PM
ok, from now on im gonna stop when i get tense and stuff like that to avoid injury, but if i still get injury, im gonna blame it on the guitar =]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:46 AM