Picked Up A 1988/89 Fender Mij Strat!, What kinda pickups should I install?
fatstrat
Feb 27 2008, 11:56 PM
GMC:er
Hey just thought I'd share that I won a Made in Japan Fender Strat on ebay back from the golden era when they weren't "Crafted in Japan". It's goin on 20 years old so the guitar definitely needs some work done to it, but I love the maple neck and quality of parts. I just thought I'd see what kind of pickups i should get installed to make it have a little more crunch. I was thinking maybe hot rails or holy grail?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 28 2008, 12:04 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fatstrat @ Feb 27 2008, 11:56 PM) *
Hey just thought I'd share that I won a Made in Japan Fender Strat on ebay back from the golden era when they weren't "Crafted in Japan". It's goin on 20 years old so the guitar definitely needs some work done to it, but I love the maple neck and quality of parts. I just thought I'd see what kind of pickups i should get installed to make it have a little more crunch. I was thinking maybe hot rails or holy grail?

Congratulations! wink.gif

I hear Texas Special-set and Fat 50's-set are great

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 28 2008, 12:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, im not sure if its the same thing, but I have a 1983 Stratocaster Made In Japan that they don't make anymore smile.gif Are they similar?

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 27 2008, 06:06 PM) *
Hey, im not sure if its the same thing, but I have a 1983 Stratocaster Made In Japan that they don't make anymore smile.gif Are they similar?

Yea they're definitely related! What's the serial number at the top of the neck? If it's starts with an E, then you have yourself a diamond in the rough! Mine starts with an H so it dates back to 88/89.

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 28 2008, 12:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
The serial number on it reads E643642 smile.gif Does diamond in the rough mean good or bad? huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 27 2008, 06:18 PM) *
The serial number on it reads E643642 smile.gif Does diamond in the rough mean good or bad? huh.gif laugh.gif

The E means that it's an 82-87' (don't quote me on it) model and the 6 after the E means that it was made in 1986. Those guitars if they are in good condition are actually highly sought after on ebay! The Made in Japan strats are highly collectible because they were a limited run and they have great craftsmanship. I'd say hold on to it because the price is only going to appreciate!

This post has been edited by fatstrat: Feb 28 2008, 12:27 AM

--------------------
My Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2008, 01:19 AM
Instructor
Maybe some dimarzio velvets or SD JBjr's would fit there great

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 28 2008, 02:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (fatstrat @ Feb 27 2008, 11:26 PM) *
The E means that it's an 82-87' (don't quote me on it) model and the 6 after the E means that it was made in 1986. Those guitars if they are in good condition are actually highly sought after on ebay! The Made in Japan strats are highly collectible because they were a limited run and they have great craftsmanship. I'd say hold on to it because the price is only going to appreciate!

Sorry that was a typo, its actually a 5 after the E smile.gif So it's E543642

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 27 2008, 08:54 PM) *
Sorry that was a typo, its actually a 5 after the E smile.gif So it's E543642

right on dude....yea id say you have yourself a 1985 Made in Japan Strat....is it standard single coil setup or SSH?

--------------------
My Gear:

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 27 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Maybe some dimarzio velvets or SD JBjr's would fit there great

what kind of tone do the JB's have? i'm looking for something mellow on the neck side and something with a little more crunch towards the bridge.

--------------------
My Gear:

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 28 2008, 03:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
It's a single coil smile.gif Ive never been able to find a fitting whammy bar for that guitar dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 27 2008, 09:07 PM) *
It's a single coil smile.gif Ive never been able to find a fitting whammy bar for that guitar dry.gif

yea i have the same problem, but every strat that i play always knocks out tune when the whammy bar gets used so i dont really bother with the tremolo arm too much

--------------------
My Gear:

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 28 2008, 03:51 AM
Learning Rock Star
Did it make a difference in how much it's worth if it was single coil or SSH? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 03:57 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 27 2008, 09:51 PM) *
Did it make a difference in how much it's worth if it was single coil or SSH? smile.gif

honestly i think the single coils sell better...i mean fender has been doin single coils only for a long time! they pretty much have it down to a science!

--------------------
My Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:11 AM