Hybrid Madness Lesson Question, Ring finger > middle finger?
Digisullie
Feb 3 2011, 12:20 AM
GMC:er
I've just stumbled upon your Hybrid Madness lesson and was curious when using your middle and ring finger to do the picking, I felt like it would be easier to use your middle finger after the second downstroke with the pick. For example, in the first riff, the first time you play the D on the 7th fret with the ring finger, wouldn't it be easier to use your middle finger since your hand moves down a string to play the down and upstroke around that D on the 7th fret? Sorry if this is confusing. If there is an advantage to using your ring finger there I'd like to know so I don't create a bad habit using my middle finger when I shouldn't! Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan Cortes
Feb 3 2011, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (Digisullie @ Feb 3 2011, 12:20 AM) *
I've just stumbled upon your Hybrid Madness lesson and was curious when using your middle and ring finger to do the picking, I felt like it would be easier to use your middle finger after the second downstroke with the pick. For example, in the first riff, the first time you play the D on the 7th fret with the ring finger, wouldn't it be easier to use your middle finger since your hand moves down a string to play the down and upstroke around that D on the 7th fret? Sorry if this is confusing. If there is an advantage to using your ring finger there I'd like to know so I don't create a bad habit using my middle finger when I shouldn't! Thanks smile.gif

Hey man! good question, but the easiest way to use this technique is using pick,middle and ring finger. Maybe in this particular case it´s pretty much the same to use middle or ring, and you might feel it easier to use your middle finger, but when you have to use different strings, larger intervals or different shapes it´s much easier to use your ring. If you use your middle finger in these cases you will lose velocity and it´s not a natural feel. Keep in mind that this technique is usually followed by legato so the correct usage of fingers is very important.
If you want I can send you a guitarpro file for more clarity.
I´m also available for private lessons.

Regards,
Juan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
nawak
Feb 3 2011, 07:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi,

I am also practicing this lesson and I have another question smile.gif

Does your palm rest on the bridge (like in palm muting for example)? It seems a lot easier for me when it's not. Actually the right hand position I'm the most comfortable with for this particular technique would be with the wrist far away from the bridge (a bit like a bass player). That way, I can get more strength and my middle and ring fingers can move freely...

Is that correct?

Cheers

PS: Indeed, the downside is that I'm not able to mute the strings with my picking hand that way, so it only sounds good with clean tone for me...

+Quote Post
Juan Cortes
Feb 3 2011, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (nawak @ Feb 3 2011, 07:29 PM) *
Hi,

I am also practicing this lesson and I have another question smile.gif

Does your palm rest on the bridge (like in palm muting for example)? It seems a lot easier for me when it's not. Actually the right hand position I'm the most comfortable with for this particular technique would be with the wrist far away from the bridge (a bit like a bass player). That way, I can get more strength and my middle and ring fingers can move freely...

Is that correct?

Cheers

PS: Indeed, the downside is that I'm not able to mute the strings with my picking hand that way, so it only sounds good with clean tone for me...

Actually, this depends more on what style of music you are playing. If you´re going to play with an overdrive or distortion you will be obliged to use palm to mute the upper strings like Brett Garsed. Try to set a smooth distortion alwalys. If your looking for an Albert Lee sound, it´s ok to raise your wrist since you will have more resonance. It´s important to try it both ways. wink.gif

Regards,
Juan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:06 AM