2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wah Purchase ?
lee
Aug 9 2009, 04:30 AM
GMC:er
Hi All,

I'm gonna purchase a wah in the near future.I lova all kinds of music.
I mean everything from delta blues to metal.I want my wah to produce
a classic wah sound.The wah sound of the 60s.Which models should I try
before I buy?Any input will be much appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 9 2009, 05:37 AM
How about a Dunlop Cry Baby?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Aug 9 2009, 07:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Aug 9 2009, 05:37 AM) *

My thoughts exactly wink.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 9 2009, 08:38 AM
Lets go fishing!

I had a Dunlop Cry baby they are excellent, highly recommended wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Aug 9 2009, 11:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q and it's really neat and covers a lot of wah-styles, so if you need versatility it's worth a try smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 9 2009, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Aug 9 2009, 05:37 AM) *

+1!!!

I have 2, an original late 60's and a much more recent one.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2009, 12:15 PM
Instructor
I have Crybaby 535Q as well, but I think it's a more modern, darker sounding wah unit. If you need vintage wah I would say something like Clyde Mccoy wah. There are two options available that should be checked out, on is mainstream Vox:

and the other one is Fulltone (recommended)

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 9 2009, 12:17 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2009, 12:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
Crybaby for versatility, Vox for a more vintage vibe or signature crybabys if you are looking for a certain sound...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 9 2009, 12:51 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
And in addition to those mentioned the RMC McCoy III. AFAIK it's the only wah that lets you alter the voicing.

Any Geoff Teese wah is however good. I replaced a new Crybaby with it - the McCoy has a much nicer tone, particularly at the top end - and much more like the original Crybaby.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Thanks for this recommendation Tony, I will check that wah myself, I need something more vintage than 535Q.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 9 2009, 02:00 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I have a crybaby and it sucks at lot of tone when it's switched off.

I plan on getting a Crybaby 535Q as it seems to be true bypass, hopefully that shouldn't eat tone when it's off.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Aug 9 2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor
Although I have a VOX Wah, but I have to say that wasn't the best decision to buy it.
I think Crybaby is better:

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 9 2009, 03:52 PM
The Crybaby has a lot of versatility. That's why I recommended you that. I think that you are a "starter" on using Wah, so, I think that it could be the best choice. But, once you have all the experience, buying a new one will depend on your taste and the sound you're looking for. There are tons of nice ones out there

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 9 2009, 05:18 PM
My local guitar shop recommended me one a week ago, but i cant find the name in my memories, it sounded like a good and cheaper aternative to the cry baby. It was around 50 Euro and as far as he told me it should have a better sound and a more reliable interior thant most of the twice or more costing ones.

Tomorrow i can take a look at it, as i am planning on buying some stuff smile.gif I hope i dont forget to ask for it again and then i will come back with a name smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
lee
Aug 9 2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions.I think i'll buy two.
A modern and a vintage.I do prefere the old school tone though.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 10 2009, 12:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Crybaby 535Q is a very good and versatile wah...Its pretty standard and will do the job fine! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
lee
Aug 10 2009, 12:24 AM
I read alot of good reviews on the 535Q.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 10 2009, 04:04 PM
I've had a few wahs now, and not yet found one I like. I've had a couple of vox v847s (various modded versions), cry babys, a few digital ones including the EX-7 digitech multi FX, which was the best of the ones I tried because it was quite versatile, but I can never get the use out of it because it's so difficult to turn it on/off when I want it.

I'm gonna get a bad horsie or ibanez WD-7 next, as they have the auto-on feature that I'm hoping will make it a bit more useable.

Anyone have one of those two? Just wondering what the bypass is like on them, is it a true bypass? It seems unlikely but thought I'd check.

-Adam

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 10 2009, 04:21 PM
Instructor
I only know that 535Q has a true bypass. Even when it is without power the signal goes through (when switched off).

--------------------

+Quote Post
twist
Aug 10 2009, 08:11 PM
I asked and the brand is Onerr. Could be worth a try for around 50 Euro here.

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:37 PM