Lead Guitar, Find a cool riff / melody
Frankster
Nov 19 2011, 09:08 PM
GMC:er
Hi folks!

I need your help wink.gif

I joined a new band and now my job is to play the lead guitar.

The most time I only jammed with people, but now I have to find a structured format huh.gif

The band consists of
1 x drums
1 x bass
1 x rythmn guitar
1 x singer

They have complete songs, and now I should find a cool melody / riff and solo over the track.

How to start ?
- I know the chords
- I know the key
- I know the pentatonic / scale

Are there any theoretical tips ?
Are there any special lessons ?
How to analyse a song ?

Many Many Thanks
Frankster

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 19 2011, 09:49 PM
well i use my Shower Time, when i need to compose somethin; i just go take a shower and start to think, what does the backing track asks for, what do i would like to ear and then i try to transcribe that to the guitar.

but this is just me being too lazy to learn theory and stuff, i am sure other people answers will help you tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 19 2011, 09:51 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 19 2011, 10:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=24001
this is one of my favorite solo that I did
it is filled with melodies from the vocals and the rhythm guitar

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 19 2011, 10:04 PM
Instructor
The thing isn't complex to much, I'll try to answer:
On the first place - experimenting a bit around . Knowledge of pentatonic scales is enough to start, but you have to continue further with different scale training. Songs need to have some kind of structure and some cool riffs so if you're looking for something specific don't be afraid of experiementing with different chords or notes to get that sound.Let members listen in on you as you're developing a song. Also don't be afraid of taking suggestions from members of your band - you're in it together and as such need to bounce ideas constantly off one another to stay strong as a group.
How to analyze a song: here on the site you will find plenty of material about it. You would need to know the structure of progression.
Modal progression - when you learn all of the modes, it will be much clearer for you which scales you can use it and customize it.

What genre you play? Do you have a demo? so maybe you could upload some that we can hear and assist in particular wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2011, 10:36 PM
Some simple tips smile.gif

1.)Land on the ROOT note frequently.

2.)Make sure any bends are in key.

3.)Less is more. Don't overplay, especially at the early stages where you are now. You may have to pull this off live so keep it simple.

4.)Try to stay in the scale (at first) later you can go crazy, for your first steps, stay in the scale the chord progression is in.

Just some simple things to do at the very start of soloing with a new band. Later you will scrap all of this. But now, here at the start, simplicity is key.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2011, 04:11 AM
Instructor
The first thing that I do when I have to arrange a song is to try to think, without the guitar, what melodies and ideas could work. I trust in my mind and ears.. I sing melodies over the song and then transpose them to my guitar. I don't think on scales of chords when I'm doing this... I just think in sounds...
another thing that you can do is just jamming using the pentatonic scale and try to find cool ideas. Record yourself when you are doing it if it's possible...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 20 2011, 10:11 AM
Instructor
Listen to simliar bands, or songs,

Take ideas from them, no one really cares if it's a bit similar, and best yet, no one really notices

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 20 2011, 09:44 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 20 2011, 09:11 AM) *
Listen to simliar bands, or songs,

Take ideas from them, no one really cares if it's a bit similar, and best yet, no one really notices

indeed, today i was listening to Symphony of Destruction's solo and i noticed that the beginnig is part of Little wing's from Hendrix

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor
All great advices mentioned above. Probably the best advice I can give you is the one that is already mentioned: Keep it simple

Don't overdo it, just rely on a strong melody and something you can play perfectly while standing and on stage. The melody you make should be catchy. Use pentatonic scale, and work from there, it will be easier. Try to land on the roots of the chords you have, and it will be great. Record it and listen to it. If it sounds catchy, it's great.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2011, 11:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 20 2011, 03:11 AM) *
The first thing that I do when I have to arrange a song is to try to think, without the guitar, what melodies and ideas could work. I trust in my mind and ears.. I sing melodies over the song and then transpose them to my guitar. I don't think on scales of chords when I'm doing this... I just think in sounds...
another thing that you can do is just jamming using the pentatonic scale and try to find cool ideas. Record yourself when you are doing it if it's possible...

My approach is the same as Gabe's regarding the singing of themes and solos using my voice! If I would go at it by playing the guitar, I would most probably end up playing stuff I usually play smile.gif which is not good biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 21 2011, 02:53 AM
Guitar Pro is also very cool to write, cuz then u can hear how the solo sounds like smile.gif and if you have the song in GP file, you can even see how it goes with the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2011, 08:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 21 2011, 01:53 AM) *
Guitar Pro is also very cool to write, cuz then u can hear how the solo sounds like smile.gif and if you have the song in GP file, you can even see how it goes with the song.

The problem with the GP, is that it alters sounds, making them mechanical enough not to allow you to perceive a solo in its entirety. Now the GP is a good tool for 'knowing where and how things happen in a song' but no more. At least that's what it is for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 21 2011, 06:59 PM
Many thanks for the tips!

But it isn´t only the solo.

What do you play over a rythm guitar.
Do you play some parts like the rythm guitar ?
I think you don´t play the whole time single notes or melodies.

Which technique, chords ..... do you play over the rythmn

- Play the song an octave higher
- Use double stop licks
- Play open chords
and so on.....

That is also my question.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2011, 07:45 PM
Instructor
It depends on the style and your abilities. What type of music do you play?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 21 2011, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 21 2011, 07:27 AM) *
The problem with the GP, is that it alters sounds, making them mechanical enough not to allow you to perceive a solo in its entirety. Now the GP is a good tool for 'knowing where and how things happen in a song' but no more. At least that's what it is for me smile.gif

RSE plugin can make it a little betta!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 21 2011, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
I would start with playing what the singer is singing and then start modifying
you will have to practice this technique
but try starting with this and let me know how it is working

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 21 2011, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Great advice here. I would say talk to your band mates and ask them what they are looking for. If they say it's up to you, well then play what your heart wants you to play. But yes, please tell us what style you play. In a lot of rock/metal bands the lead guitarist will play simple melodies to compliment the rhythm. I know in some Contemporary Christian songs the lead guitarist sticks with small single note patterns.

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 21 2011, 09:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
L33t gu1t4r

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 28 2011, 07:28 PM
Hi!

The typ of music is diffictult to describe, but I think its a mixture between crossover, alternative with a little bit of indie rock wink.gif

I will upload a sample as soon as possible

Thanks
Frankster

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 28 2011, 07:42 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Also think about adding some arpeggios - you want to fill out what the rhythm guitar is doing without fighting it!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:43 AM