2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Apprentice Bushido 41
Ben Higgins
Nov 9 2012, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Task 41: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-De...Is-In-The-Diad/

Gentlemen, I bring forth a rhythmical feast of crunch !! 2 note chords that, once learned, can be moved around in any scale using just 2 finger positions. You can play them as a chord or separate the notes as I also do in the lesson, which is something you can put into a solo.

It's a strangely lilting backing track but once you get used to the odd timing, it's nice and flowing.

Deadline is next Friday 16th November or you'll be feasting on raw onions for the next week.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Nov 9 2012, 02:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Nov 9 2012, 03:53 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Nice one ! There is something like "Call of Ktulu" in those diads... cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 9 2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 9 2012, 02:53 PM) *
Nice one ! There is something like "Call of Ktulu" in those diads... cool.gif

Do you think so ?? Well, get groovin' on it Monsieur !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 9 2012, 10:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great, I was starting learning it biggrin.gif (I can't tell your lessons I'm not practicing on, ahahahaha).

Gonna learn this one tonight, I'm craving for donut ohmy.gif

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 10 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 9 2012, 09:14 PM) *
Great, I was starting learning it biggrin.gif (I can't tell your lessons I'm not practicing on, ahahahaha).

Gonna learn this one tonight, I'm craving for donut ohmy.gif

Excellent, that's really nice to hear ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 12 2012, 04:46 AM
Hey Ben,

The second fast part is quite hard to play ^^

Let's say I can't play it as clean as you but the overall is good (not sure aboiut the 6/8 part), can I ask you the settings you use for this lesson ? Your sound is quite thick and not too overdriven. I can't get that cleanliness.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 12 2012, 03:46 AM) *
Hey Ben,

The second fast part is quite hard to play ^^

Let's say I can't play it as clean as you but the overall is good (not sure aboiut the 6/8 part), can I ask you the settings you use for this lesson ? Your sound is quite thick and not too overdriven. I can't get that cleanliness.

Thanks smile.gif

Morning Christophe !

I can't quite remember but it will be something like this :

Marshall JVM OD1, Red setting. Bass - 1 or 2, Mid - 5, Gain -3.

Not sure if that's any use to you though unless you have a JVM !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Nov 12 2012, 01:00 PM
Learning Roadie

The Devil is not in the Diad! It's in how #@%$^&* hard this is to play at speed. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Nov 12 2012, 12:00 PM) *
The Devil is not in the Diad! It's in how #@%$^&* hard this is to play at speed. smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Is it the busy strumming part that you're talking about ? It's ok to let your wrist poke out and become more loose, almost so it looks like an EVH picking style thing.. strum as if you were shaking your wrist, if that makes sense ?

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Nov 12 2012, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone,
It's harder that it seems... The fast part is hard to get in time. With a metronome, it's diabolic !:)
Here is my offering :
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/the-devil-is-in-the-diad
Sorry Christophe, I won't let you eat anything else than a potato this week wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 08:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 12 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Hey everyone,
It's harder that it seems... The fast part is hard to get in time. With a metronome, it's diabolic !:)
Here is my offering :
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/the-devil-is-in-the-diad
Sorry Christophe, I won't let you eat anything else than a potato this week wink.gif

Nice offering GG... you play the chords the wrong way around at 0:08 and 0:13 though !

I think your timing here was really good... just a few missed notes here and there where the pick didn't quite catch it.

You have a really unusual tone here. It's hard to describe but it almost sounds 'squeaky' laugh.gif

Congrats on your Donut.. Christophe is going to be plotting his revenge now !! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Nov 12 2012, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 12 2012, 09:05 PM) *
You have a really unusual tone here. It's hard to describe but it almost sounds 'squeaky' laugh.gif

By unusual, you mean it sucks, don't you biggrin.gif
I've learned a new word : squeaky. Didn't know this one. We learn a lot of different things here in the temple wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 09:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 12 2012, 08:06 PM) *
By unusual, you mean it sucks, don't you biggrin.gif
I've learned a new word : squeaky. Didn't know this one. We learn a lot of different things here in the temple wink.gif

No it doesn't suck !! laugh.gif

It squeaks ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 13 2012, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 12 2012, 07:57 PM) *
Hey everyone,
[...]

I don't agree ! This shouldn't be allowed ! Since you failed the first chords which was the easier part of the lesson I'll call my laywer and I'll get donuts interests !!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 12 2012, 08:05 PM) *
Nice offering GG... you play the chords the wrong way around at 0:08 and 0:13 though !

I think your timing here was really good... just a few missed notes here and there where the pick didn't quite catch it.

Congrats on your Donut.. Christophe is going to be plotting his revenge now !! ph34r.gif

Takes coming from Rock Star should be perfect Ben ! Am I wrong ? If you allow this, it's the end of the world as we know !

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 13 2012, 09:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 13 2012, 01:27 AM) *
Takes coming from Rock Star should be perfect Ben ! Am I wrong ? If you allow this, it's the end of the world as we know !

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well... I hear ya, man ! Although the rules do state that the first submission of a take gets the Donut.. I'm sorry !!

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Nov 13 2012, 08:40 PM
Hum, I understand your frustration. I didn't think I had made a mistake there, because it was the way I thought it was played. Sorry about that... mellow.gif

It sounds good that way too, doesn't it ? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Nov 13 2012, 11:02 PM
Just to make things easier, here is a second take without that chord changes.
Hope my tone is a bit better. If I should post this in the REC corner, what would you say Ben ?

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/the-devil-is-in-the-diad-2

Bonne nuit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 14 2012, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 13 2012, 07:40 PM) *
Hum, I understand your frustration. I didn't think I had made a mistake there, because it was the way I thought it was played. Sorry about that... mellow.gif

It sounds good that way too, doesn't it ? biggrin.gif

Hey man, there's no frustration here... I'm sure we all meant this in a fun way !! You're deserving of the Donut, don't worry ! smile.gif

It does also work with the chords the other way, yes !

QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Nov 13 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Just to make things easier, here is a second take without that chord changes.
Hope my tone is a bit better. If I should post this in the REC corner, what would you say Ben ?

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/the-devil-is-in-the-diad-2

Bonne nuit.

Yes man, this is very good ! Your first tone was also ok.. just unusual biggrin.gif

I think it's the sound of natural compression when you're on a mild distortion that gives it that weird squeaky sound.

I would definitely say that's worthy of a REC cool.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Nov 16 2012, 08:24 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 13 2012, 02:27 AM) *
I don't agree ! This shouldn't be allowed ! Since you failed the first chords which was the easier part of the lesson I'll call my laywer and I'll get donuts interests !!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif

Very funny Christophe - I think we need to come up with a strategy to slow down the donut king. Grind is eating far to many donuts!
maybe we should get cookie monster over from sesame street! But then again he may only like cookies laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey Grind very impressed mate good job on this one. I couldn't believe how quick you got this down it's taken me all week to get
here. I'll watch out for your rec video.

Mr Ben - This has been a great workout this week. I really thought I wasn't going to get a take up at all,
I would keep getting lost all the time. My key in the end was to use guitar pro and go from 75bpm play through up to 80 bpm
play through up to 85bpm etc. I love tight timing stuff it sounds great and something I need to really work more on.

Cheers Ben

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/devil-in-the-diad

Love your backing track Ben! Drums are awesome.

This post has been edited by zoom: Nov 16 2012, 08:28 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 16 2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Nov 16 2012, 07:24 AM) *
Mr Ben - This has been a great workout this week. I really thought I wasn't going to get a take up at all,
I would keep getting lost all the time. My key in the end was to use guitar pro and go from 75bpm play through up to 80 bpm
play through up to 85bpm etc. I love tight timing stuff it sounds great and something I need to really work more on.

Cheers Ben

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/devil-in-the-diad

Love your backing track Ben! Drums are awesome.

Good stuff here Z !

Can't believe how much your timing has improved... you'll be playing second guitar for Megadeth in a couple of months time I reckon ! cool.gif

I really like the single note bits starting from 0:36 and again later.. the note separation could be a bit clearer so watch out for unwanted string noise by using your right hand to clamp down onto the strings in between hitting the notes. Do you remember my palm muting video ?? I talk about this kind of thing in it somewhere..

Well done warrior !! cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:04 PM