Practicing W/out An Amp
Opossum
Oct 29 2012, 05:01 AM
GMC:er
I find myself practicing 60 -70% of the time (electric guitar) without an amp. Is this common?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Oct 29 2012, 06:37 AM
I did that more or less 98%, but I've started to use "amp" now more and more since I've gotten my hands on Guitar Rig 5.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
GregH
Oct 29 2012, 06:45 AM
I find myself doing that a lot too. It helps keep the peace around the house to keep the noise down and I usually have the guitar in my hands most of the time after I get home from work. So I limit the amount of time that the guitar is plugged in.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 29 2012, 07:19 AM
Learning Roadie
The Only problem I found practicing with out an amp was I started picking too hard and not paying attention to accenting beats and dynamics.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 29 2012, 07:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
Definitely common. I recall someone (Paul Gilbert?) touching on the subject of playing clean often because playing with distortion and effects can hide unclean picking. On the flip side, playing loud can uncover the same things like not damping strings you're not playing, so it's good to keep balance. When playing live, your mistakes shine because of the volume, so it's definitely worth-while to balance your practice between clean and loud.

my 2 cents smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Nether
Oct 29 2012, 08:43 AM
I have done that a lot too, as a matter of fact i've done almost 100% unplugged. The problem is the with the guitar unplug you don't notice the unwanted noises you'll do when you are connected, even in a clean channel. Another problem is that you'll pick the strings much harder than it's really needed, and you'll do the hammer-ons and pull-offs wrong too.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 29 2012, 09:08 AM
Instructor
I used to do that a lot of the time but that's only because my practising was 100% technique orientated, the most boring kind !

Now I'll always plug in and embrace the power of electricity smile.gif

+Quote Post
Opossum
Oct 29 2012, 01:34 PM
QUOTE (GregH @ Oct 29 2012, 05:45 AM) *
I find myself doing that a lot too. It helps keep the peace around the house to keep the noise down and I usually have the guitar in my hands most of the time after I get home from work. So I limit the amount of time that the guitar is plugged in.

I can relate to this.

+Quote Post
geoboi
Oct 29 2012, 06:06 PM
QUOTE (Opossum @ Oct 28 2012, 09:01 PM) *
I find myself practicing 60 -70% of the time (electric guitar) without an amp. Is this common?

Howdy Opossum
It's not quite the same play as live but is there a reason you don't use headphones?

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 29 2012, 06:55 PM
Care practicing too much without an amp, the best part of learning the guitar is to take control of power. You will miss out on palm muting techniques and managing unwanted noise/feedback. The same can however be said for using too much effects to cover your mistakes. 10%-20% or so of time, without an amp, in front of the tv just doing scale exercises is fine. However, do get some amp practice in, best if practicing clean channel and actually loud. Most beginners turn down volume, however it can muffle it, depending on the amp, lots of emulation hardware or software helps if you want to play lower volumes.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 29 2012, 06:56 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 29 2012, 06:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I'll practice without an amp a lot when I'm working on a lick or lesson that I'm trying to nail down. Mostly in front of the TV. Then I usually return to my amp later to hopefully hear some progress. It helps me avoid the redundancy of playing something over and over and getting that feeling of, "I'm wasting all my time with this damn lick". smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wollace03
Oct 29 2012, 07:22 PM
I practice about 40-50% of my time without an amp. Its often a question of time and family situation. I always look forward to play the things I practice with an amp later.
Most of the GMC lesson I start practicing unplugged until I now what to play.....
And you realise that it is not the effects that make a good riff or melody line when you often play unplugged.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2012, 07:35 PM
When I was "Amp Based" i was the same way, I'd often just grab the guitar. Easier/quicker. Now that I use a lot of emulation, it's almost aways up and running on my computer so I just plugin.

Todd

QUOTE (Opossum @ Oct 29 2012, 12:01 AM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2012, 08:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Oct 29 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Care practicing too much without an amp, the best part of learning the guitar is to take control of power. You will miss out on palm muting techniques and managing unwanted noise/feedback. The same can however be said for using too much effects to cover your mistakes. 10%-20% or so of time, without an amp, in front of the tv just doing scale exercises is fine. However, do get some amp practice in, best if practicing clean channel and actually loud. Most beginners turn down volume, however it can muffle it, depending on the amp, lots of emulation hardware or software helps if you want to play lower volumes.

This is exactly what I was going to add. If you practice too much without amp, then you will find the high gain to noisy and you won't be ready to mute all the extra noises that appear when you play a distorted guitar. So both ways are important.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
geoboi
Oct 30 2012, 11:13 AM
QUOTE (Opossum @ Oct 28 2012, 09:01 PM) *

You may already posses most or what you need to hook up digitally. It might not be as good as live play but it may be better than not and you'll still have the live time that you do. I don't mean to volunteer anyone but I've found everyone at GMC to be the most helpful willing people I've run across. Even I've learned a thing or two as a result.

This post has been edited by geoboi: Oct 30 2012, 11:14 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:08 AM