Tone Tips/advice, Newbie needs help!
Chief Brody
Jan 27 2008, 01:20 AM
GMC:er
Yesterday i managed to get my hands on a PODX3 and it's really given me a boost in terms of my attitude towards practicing, even with the presets i am getting some great tones that are the kind i was hoping i could use when i first started guitar not too long ago.

Anyway as i now have a wide (vitrual) array of weapons at my disposal in regards to tone creation I want to try making some of my own tones, as well as finding good overall "style example" tones and i was hoping that anyone with a bit more experience could help me out.

I would like to try out the following - Jazz, Funk, Blues (Clapton/Mayer/SRV style) and Progressive Rock (especially Tool/Porcupine Tree) but at the moment i don't really know where to start mellow.gif *shame*

I'm definitely the kind of person who learns by example so if anyone can point me in the right direction with regards to achieving the right kind of tone for the above styles it would be greatly appreciated, hopefully with a few "reference" tones to play around with i'll be able to start doing some real experimenting of my own!

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chief Brody: Jan 27 2008, 01:21 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2008, 02:35 AM
Instructor
If you're after the tone of some other guitar player, the best solution is too experiment and research. Find out what they are using of gear, watch closely their live performances, see how they play etc.. If you're after your own's tone, you need to practice a lot and it will come in time don't worry. No preset can replace "the tone" just keep playing and it will come one day unannounced wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
Jan 27 2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks. I guess sometimes it's hard for the beginning player because when you decide to get involved with playing guitar there is so much history, variation and so many unique styles (and ways of achieving them) that sometimes even the smallest details can become daunting.

Of course i think it's also human nature to want everything perfect right away, when in reality it doesn't really work like that hehe.

I'll definitely listen to your advice and welcome any more!

Time to get experimenting! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 27 2008, 06:58 AM
I bought my x3 not long ago, and withing a week or 2 I had a tone that was "mine"....I record with it, I play with it, everything....but this tone develops...I'm constantly tweaking it, sometimes more treble, sometimes a little delay, etc...depends on what my ears what to hear that day.
Listen to yourself....what YOU want to hear, and try it out smile.gif
The Pod makes this SO easy, take advantage smile.gif
Cheers

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Luc Hébert
Jan 28 2008, 05:40 AM
I agree with the above replies... You basically have to play around with it and learn for yourself what sounds good and what does not. I for one own a Pod XT Live and it's fully loaded. I totally dig the versatility, I'm just waiting for my Atomic Amp to get delivered right now smile.gif It should sound amazing through that if you've read about it. If not I suggest you do some search on them if you play with a modeler smile.gif

As for advice I can give you... play with it through Line 6 Edit which makes things much quicker, just download different tones play with them, adjust presets, add effetcs, try different amp combos with different cabs. Eventually you'll get to know it in and out. It'll take some time but it's well worth it once you get used to it.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Luc Hébert: Jan 28 2008, 05:43 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:13 PM