External Hard Drive
JVM
Aug 9 2008, 08:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys. I'm having a problem with my external hard drive. The one with all my music on it. The problem is, I recently moved my computer from one house to another. In the process, of course, everything was disconnected and reconnected. All of the files on my music player (I use foobar) are linked to my external by way of the D drive. However, when I reconnected my hard drive to the computer, it shows up as E.

In the "my computer" window (I'm using XP), the external shows up as "External (E:)" and the d drive shows up as "CD Drive (D:)". However, there is nothing in the "CD Drive", and its not actually a cd drive. I have one cd drive built in my computer which is "Q" and an external dvd drive labeled "G". This computer is a bit old (2004-5) and lots of things have been reconnected over the years, including having to reinstall the OS once or twice. How it got all whacked up to have my main cd drive (the only one it came with) as Q is beyond me, but I'm just worried about my music.

Now, I COULD go and redirect all of the files on my external (over 150GB total, but specifically my music) in Foobar, i.e. the path Foobar takes to find the music, to E, but this is time consuming, tedious and aggravating, not to mention that I've already had to do this once or twice.

I have no idea what could be taking up the D drive. Is there any way I can simply reassign my external, now labeled E, to D, so that the file paths in foobar are correct? Or is there any other solution that does not involve rebuilding my library into one going through E?

Hope I made clear my problem, thank you in advance.

Also, this came up when I tried to download Juan's album. When extracting it from winrar, I attempted to extract it to the supposed "D" drive just to see what would happen, and it said "Cannot create folder D:\" ... what is up with this thing? I tried to delete it even, using the delete button as no other option was really available.. but nothing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Google is your friend:

http://www.petri.co.il/change_a_drive_lett..._windows_xp.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 9 2008, 04:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well that D drive can be a virtual drive , something like Daemon tools

Here is the solution to your problem :

How to change a drive letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Change.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

How to remove a drive letter
To remove an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Remove.
6. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the removal.
The drive letter is removed from the drive, from the partition, or from the volume that you specified.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 9 2008, 05:07 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 9 2008, 05:51 AM) *

It's true Ivan biggrin.gif Last night I was just up a bit too late.. probably could have gotten a google answer in 30 seconds. But thanks anyway guys, I appreciate it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 9 2008, 05:48 PM
Learning Roadie
One problem though guys.. the D drive isn't even showing up in the computer management window. Or if it is, it's the blank one that I can't do anything with (rename, delete, anything).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 9 2008, 07:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 9 2008, 06:48 PM) *
One problem though guys.. the D drive isn't even showing up in the computer management window. Or if it is, it's the blank one that I can't do anything with (rename, delete, anything).

Have you checked if you have any virtual cd rom devices installed ?? Like Daemon tools , alcohool 100% software etc ???

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:02 PM