New Pedal... What To Buy?
SonofDestiny
Jun 22 2008, 09:52 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

At the moment I have an Ibanez SA260FM, a Peavey Valveking 212 and an Electro Harmonix phaser. I want to improve the sound of my guitar. That is: make it more unique, make sure that it creates more tension and fill the 'empty spaces' so that my band sounds complete (if you know what I mean... smile.gif).

I was thinking of buying a new pedal, but I have no idea which one to buy. I have no preferences when it comes to brands, but it would be cool if it was a 9V pedal. What pedal do you recommend me?

I was also thinking of replacing my single coils (but I have absolutely no knowledge at all about that, so excuse me if I use the wrong words tongue.gif). Do you think that's worth the effort? If so, what do you recommend when I want to sound less twangy and when I want to make the sound of the band 'complete'?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BodomESP
Jun 22 2008, 10:28 AM
Replace the single coil pup's with humbuckers for a less twangy sound and buy a delay pedal imho. smile.gif

EDIT btw what type of music does your band play?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by BodomESP: Jun 22 2008, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 22 2008, 10:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieqJBKNZBfE...feature=related

I guess a delay pedal would be a great choice then smile.gif Any recommendations?

About the humbuckers, can you give me any good types?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 22 2008, 11:19 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
A wah would be a nice addition too smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor
Definitely delay if you don't have it already, and for more modern sound check out Dimarzio, for more vintage sound check out Seymor Duncan. You can find good stuff in both firms and both sites have pickup finder wizards to help you with your choice. Replacing the pickup is something you should leave to guitar tech. It is a fairly simple operation and should cost you much.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
hippiejoe
Jun 22 2008, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jun 22 2008, 09:52 AM) *
Hey guys,

At the moment I have an Ibanez SA260FM, a Peavey Valveking 212 and an Electro Harmonix phaser. I want to improve the sound of my guitar. That is: make it more unique, make sure that it creates more tension and fill the 'empty spaces' so that my band sounds complete (if you know what I mean... smile.gif).

I was thinking of buying a new pedal, but I have no idea which one to buy. I have no preferences when it comes to brands, but it would be cool if it was a 9V pedal. What pedal do you recommend me?

I was also thinking of replacing my single coils (but I have absolutely no knowledge at all about that, so excuse me if I use the wrong words tongue.gif). Do you think that's worth the effort? If so, what do you recommend when I want to sound less twangy and when I want to make the sound of the band 'complete'?

hey,here`s what I would do,given your situation. I used to own an SRV strat with single coil "Texas Special" pickups. It had a great tone but I wanted a fatter sound,so I installed a Seymour Duncan "Hot Rail" humbucker at the bridge. Fat sound indeed,very good pickup. As for a pedal, I don`t know what you can afford to pay but the Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal comes with every conceavable pedal a guitarist could want including delay,wah,voice,rotary,distortion out the yin-yang,much more plus a great tuner easily accessed on stage.It`s well worth the price. cool.gif Peace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 22 2008, 02:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I would suggest a wah pedal (crybaby 535q) and delay (boss DD6 for example) definitly must have pedal effects smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 22 2008, 02:50 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 22 2008, 03:33 PM
Singing Instructor
My guitarist haw this pedal: Visual Sound V2H20 Liquid Chorus and Echo Pedal,and the pedal sounds great.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 22 2008, 04:21 PM
Instructor
the main & important pedals are over drive /delay or reverb /chorus

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 22 2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies smile.gif

I think I'll go for chorus and delay.

One more question: there is no way that a humbucker is going to fit in the space of my single coils... is it still possible to replace the single coils by humbuckers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 22 2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah. They make humbuckers of single coil size. wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 22 2008, 09:09 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jun 22 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Thanks for the replies smile.gif

I think I'll go for chorus and delay.

One more question: there is no way that a humbucker is going to fit in the space of my single coils... is it still possible to replace the single coils by humbuckers?

I got a Boss: DD7 and a EBS Unichorus that I think makes my sound nice.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jun 23 2008, 02:47 AM
Instructor
First off all, compresion pedal, that thing will add "functions" to the other pedals you have.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 23 2008, 08:52 AM
Heard the EBS-Unichorus... wow! I like it more than the Liquid Chorus, but that might be because the demo I saw was with a Les Paul.

EDIT: isn't the EBS-Unichorus a chorus for the bass-guitar..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwm6dT6pxkQ Are they both using the effect or what..

Boss DD-7... I tested the DD6, but I just couldn't figure out how it worked so I only got an airplane ascending, which I hated. However, the preview of this pedal is awesome! I really need one of those. I can't find a good example of the Visual Sound Echo Pedal unfortunately.

About the compressor, what do I have to pay attention to when buying one of these? I'm probably deaf or something, cause I don't hear any difference when that thing is on...

Then the humbucker... I'm gonna go for a dimarzio... I just don't know which one will fit my music. I like this guitarsound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9H5qOKl-4...feature=related . Is it possible to achieve a distortion like that with a Peavey Valveking and an Ibanez SA260FM? And if so, with what humbucker?

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jun 23 2008, 10:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 23 2008, 12:53 PM
Instructor
if you want more distortion try to add an Screamer in your set wink.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 24 2008, 03:56 PM
Okay guys, so I went to the shop today and I bought me an H20 Liquid Chorus + Echo. It was a lot better in real life biggrin.gif I love it! Thanks for helping me out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2008, 10:56 PM
Instructor
No problem man. wink.gif

What did you do about the pickups ?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 25 2008, 03:44 PM
Well, the man who was in the shop said that it wasn't worth the effort changing my pickups, but I'm still thinking of doing it... Or maybe I just need a new guitar. The second option sounds really good to me, just not to my wallet tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:14 PM