Floyd Rose Drop D Tuning!
braer1
Apr 14 2010, 03:19 PM
GMC:er
OK! i was at Metallica consert last night and got inspired to learn sad but true smile.gif
But i cant get my floyd rose in D tuning, when i tune one string another will get untuned. Annyone knows how to do it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Apr 14 2010, 03:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is exactly the reason I just bought a new guitar, LOL!

The best tip I can give you to tune your Floyd Rose is to tune it in this order: Low E, High E, B, A, G, D. Tune the first couple strings slightly sharp and they will balance out once you do the later strings. I do my Low E about 20 cents sharp, around 10 for the High E, and 5-8 for the next couple. You will get the feel for it after you have done this a few times.

I saw this on a YouTube video a little bit ago when I was restringing my Floyd Rose and needed a refresher course. It's the best video I ever found on how to do so and the best tip ever received on how to tune it.

Repeat that order over and over until it is in tune. With new strings this took probably 20 times... it should take less with strings that are not new but still in usable condition.

You may already know this, but the reason it's such a pain to tune these things is because everytime you down tune a string, it releases some of the tension on your bridge and causes the rest of them to come out of tune.

You might also have to adjust your springs for D Tuning because it will require different tension than Standard. Though if it's Drop D and not D, you'll probably be okay.

Hope this helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by relaxenjoy: Apr 14 2010, 03:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 14 2010, 03:24 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
you need to change the spring tension of the bridge itself to balance out, I found this from a website that might help a bit, just for info, all my guitars are floyd rose set ups, 2 of them I use for the band which are detuned half a step, I did this with no problem by pretty much doing what these following instructions say smile.gif ......

Changing Tuning

You want to drop D?

Some people would unlock the nut for the E and A strings, drop the E, lock again, fine tune and here you go. Well unfortunately... Your strings will still be relatively in tune with each other, but they won't be perfectly in tune.

As Damage mentioned, open tunings really won't work well. I wouldn't try them. I haven't yet myself. I usually keep mine in E standard but right now it's in Dropped C. Here's what I had to do (it still is tuning. Tune with the locking nut unlocked, and when you lock it again, fine tune)

1) I tuned all the strings a full step down.

2) I slackened the spring claw at the back to re-establish balance

3) I tuned again

4) I slackened again. By now the bridge should be in the position you want it. It may take more, depending on how you do it and how you want it.

5) I dropped the D, and tuned it all over again a few times until it was perfectly in tune.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
braer1
Apr 14 2010, 04:52 PM
ah, i ment i needed to tune d(D,G,F,A,D).

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 14 2010, 05:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (braer1 @ Apr 14 2010, 04:52 PM) *
ah, i ment i needed to tune d(D,G,F,A,D).

be the same process smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 14 2010, 05:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's D G C F A D^^

I have my Jackson in this tuning and the first thing you want to get is thicker strings! One whole step down reduces the string tension quite a bit 10s will feel like 9s and 9s will become almost unplayable... I use 11-54 strings for D standard.

And from there it's basicly like setting up a floyd Rose to any othere tuning:
-Release the nut
-Tune the strings
-Adjust Bridge hight by tightening/loosing springs on the back
-repeat tuning and spring adjusting until the deisred tuning is reached and the bridge is leveled correct
-tighten up the nut and go for it!

If you want to tune arround a lot then I recommend a fixed bridge. Floyd Rose are best to stay in one tuning...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
braer1
Apr 14 2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks zakk!

This post has been edited by braer1: Apr 14 2010, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
Shime
Apr 14 2010, 08:47 PM
If it's only the low E string you want to drop tune to D, another solution is to use +1 heavier gauge for just this one string, for example .52 in stead of .46 for a set of 10s. This keeps the overall tension of your strings leveled vis-a-vis the Floyd Rose - or so I think (it works for my licensed FR). But for standard D tuning, you will need to adjust the spring tension as others here have suggested.

Shime

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 15 2010, 07:16 AM
Zakk's right. You need to get thicker strings. .11 should be a nice option

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 16 2010, 04:54 AM
Instructor
You should check out tremol-no as well,
I have 2, 3rd on its way, great tool imo.

http://www.tremol-no.com/

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
helo92
Apr 16 2010, 06:05 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 16 2010, 05:54 AM) *
You should check out tremol-no as well,
I have 2, 3rd on its way, great tool imo.

http://www.tremol-no.com/

I started looking into that...
how does it affect the tone and tuning stability??

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 16 2010, 10:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (helo92 @ Apr 16 2010, 07:05 AM) *
I started looking into that...
how does it affect the tone and tuning stability??

No effects regarding tone, you get some extra sustain tho
and its purpose is to provide better tuning stability as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:42 PM