Thanks To The Mtp And Smells, This one is for you Chris
-Zion-
Feb 28 2009, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
*ding*
You've just reached "Guitar Soloing" Level 2
*ding*

First a little back story
Back in october/november (if I remember correctly), GMC wanted to test out what was called the "Mentor Training Program". The idea was that instructors on GMC would act like mentors for a certain amount of students, but before launching this grand idea on a big scale, the mentors assigned to try it out needed some students.

So in the GMC spirit we had a little "try-out" and those lucky enough to get picked would be mentored in the test phase to see if this MTP idea would end up being a thing of the future on GMC.

Amongst all the students wanting to get into this MTP Test Phase, I was one of the 6 lucky guys who got picked as guinea pigs. What an honor.

The great thing about this whole mentoring thing is that you have someone to guide you. Someone who can see the "mistakes" in your playing that you cannot see yourself. Someone who notice the little details. When you have someone who is doing *all* that for you, you feel like you have certain responsibilities towards your mentor as you do not want to let your mentor down.

At least, this is how *I* see it.

We just finished our own Student Instructor lesson a couple of weeks ago, and that was a great learning experience, and those of you who have been following my particular mentor program (if any?) know that we are now currently working on particular songs.

I play as a lead guitarist in a band, where we play cover songs and I've always felt that the solos in the songs were more or less the same. And they were, but who can blame me? Here I am, a "lead" guitarist who has played guitar for 9 months. Who only knew the minor pentatonic scale and only knew very few licks. How can the solo *not* be the "same" for every song?

The other band members have always thought that I was awesome. Not because they couldn't hear what I was playing, but rather the fact that I have improved SOOOOOOO much since I picked up the guitar those 9 months ago. They can see improvements EVERYTIME we have band practice. EVERYTIME.

Going from beginning to learn the minor pentatonic, to knowing the pentatonic but not actually being able to use it. To play pentatonic licks. They were impressed everytime we practiced.

It all culminated the first time we practiced after new year. This was the first time we *really* played together as a band. Before we played and jammed together. This time we played together as a unit.

It's hard to explain but those of you who have tried it knows exactly what i am talking about. This was also around the same time I really noticed that all the solos I played sounded the same, so I really began thinking about how I could phrase the solos, and I could almost instantly notice a difference.

Phrasing is *SOOO* extremely difficult.. It's gotta be one of the hardest things to do on a guitar..
Does it become easier with time?

"GEEEEEZ, this guy keeps talking and talking.. what's the point?" - you are probably all saying (or at least thinking) laugh.gif

Just as a reference: when I now talk of the MTP I am referring to the other guys in the program who, like me, were lucky enough to be chosen. (opeth.db, coffeeman, canis, wollace03)

I wanted to make this post to thank and show GMC what the MTP have done for me, but more importantly this is a post to thank Chris with all the things he has done to help me accomplish what I have accomplished thus far.

I constantly try to thank him whenever possible, and I hope he knows how grateful I really am, but I wanted to express my gratitude in a broader sense, so all of GMC would know what a great guy this "Smells" character really is.

Thanks Chris, for everything you've done for me.

edit: using a flanger, which i've never used before

As you can (hopefully) see, there is a major difference in the way I played the solo before and the way I am playing the solo now, and besides the "original" beginning and ending, the solo is entirely my own.

Chris helped me out by showing me how a solo for this song could be done, and while I in prior videos almost ended up trying to sound exactly like Chris, this time was different. We talked a lot about phrasing, bending, vibrato, using more than one box etc. and he was able to somehow push me up to "Guitar Soloing" level 2.

The solo is not perfect, but I cannot believe how awesome I felt breaking down that invisible "wall". It's hard to describe, but I felt like I could finally use all the things I have been learning the last 9 months.

I would almost describe it like a baby taking his or her first steps. This is how awesome I felt doing this solo.

This one is for you Chris.

*ding*
You've just reached "Guitar Soloing" Level 2
*ding*

Only 998 more levels to go.. laugh.gif

Thanks for reading this very long post

PS. Looking forward to continue working with you Chris. And thanks again for taking the time and effort to mentor a guy like me.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Mar 2 2009, 01:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 28 2009, 04:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Chris is the best tongue.gif He also helped me out quite a lot when I just joined! Now I'm also lucky enough to be mentored (by our one and only Dentis: Monte! ) and it's a good way of practicing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2009, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Such a great post, cheers. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tolek
Feb 28 2009, 05:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very authentic post. I can really see a progress when watching those videos. Well done, both of you!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 1 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
ohmy.gif wow thanks David! I really am quite touched by that smile.gif

I dunno what to say except that its a pleasure helping you out where I can, ultimatly though its your hard work and dedication, willingness to listen and accept some advice here n there that has made you improve.

Your beginning to notice the difference yourself as well which will breed confidence to push that little bit harder.

so a huge well done to you, and again thanks for this post, very nice of you smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
berko
Mar 1 2009, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
Such a great improvement ohmy.gif

This was a truly amazing - and inspiring - post to read.

Rock on, man

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2009, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Very inspiring post !
So great to see you work hard and be happy with your improvement. Keep up the good work wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 1 2009, 11:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great post, and very cool to see this progress happening smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Mar 2 2009, 12:47 PM
GMC:er
Cool post, I actually liked reading it.

As for the video's : I really think you did a very good job there.
Sure you're only playing for 9 months ?? The progress you've made in that time must've been amazing.

Also, when I watched that first vid, it reminded me a little of the way that I solo, which was kind of an eye-opener, so thanks !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 2 2009, 12:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
that was cool of you to write that man, sometimes a little thanks goes a long way!

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Mar 2 2009, 01:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks everybody. It's been a learning experience, and will continue to be that for a very long time..

I really *dig* this guitar business.. hahaha.. laugh.gif

btw.. i just listened to the take again, and i dont even like the sound of the guitar.. on that take i was playing around with my flanger pedal, which i've never used before.. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Smells @ Mar 1 2009, 10:06 PM) *
ohmy.gif wow thanks David! I really am quite touched by that smile.gif

I dunno what to say except that its a pleasure helping you out where I can, ultimatly though its your hard work and dedication, willingness to listen and accept some advice here n there that has made you improve.

Your beginning to notice the difference yourself as well which will breed confidence to push that little bit harder.

so a huge well done to you, and again thanks for this post, very nice of you smile.gif

I wanted to express my gratitude and give you the credit you deserve, and this "assignment" really boosted my overall confidence and i cannot wait to play the solo for the first time in the band..

QUOTE (djohnneay @ Mar 2 2009, 12:47 PM) *
Cool post, I actually liked reading it.

As for the video's : I really think you did a very good job there.
Sure you're only playing for 9 months ?? The progress you've made in that time must've been amazing.

Also, when I watched that first vid, it reminded me a little of the way that I solo, which was kind of an eye-opener, so thanks !!

Around 9 months pretty much.. i joined GMC roughly the same time i picked up the guitar.. which according to GMC happened may 20th..
progress is of course relative, and i have been working hard, practicing nearly every day, and while i've always thought that my progress has been very slow and non-existant, other people around me have constantly noticed and commented on it.. which is one of the reasons i've kept on going, and it's one of the reasons i am in a band and not "just" practicing at home..

I've had this discussion with many people and while it's not for all, I *need* to hear these "wow.. you have improved since last week.. awesome..".. Comments like this is what keeps me going, and my band mates have been extremely good at noticing, as well as commenting on it..

I'm glad you liked it and hope you are able to use it somehow.. for me, i hope i can continue doing solos like this one, and maybe even push myself to do even better solos..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Mar 2 2009, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 2 2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Very nice!
It's great to see the improvement man!
Your lead is much more structured after MTP for sure.
Keep up the great work!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:33 PM