2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Love Cheap Guitars
MHD Pickups
Feb 4 2013, 11:50 PM
GMC:er
I got this about 2 years ago. 70 bucks for it. So the other day I decided it needed a face lift. A couple rattle cans of black nitro a new set of pups with black nickel covers and the harness and here she is.

Before

The new harness

And After

I love it. It is now my new number 1. What cheapos do you guys have that ended up being amazing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MHD Pickups: Feb 4 2013, 11:52 PM

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Feb 5 2013, 03:23 AM
Wicked! I bought this thing when I was on vacation in London. Bought it for 50 GBP (About $75 USD) and it's the best Strat I've ever played in my life, to this day.

It's the one I used in this video. Sounds and plays great!!

Can you talk a bit about how you painted your Tele? I've always wanted to paint a guitar myself with some spray cans.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ConnorGilks: Feb 5 2013, 03:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 5 2013, 05:32 AM
I did completly with Rattle Can Nitro from Stewart Macdonald. I got a can of clear snading sealer ands 2 cans of black paint. The sanding sealer got sanded back to 400 gritt every 54 coats to level. Then I just sprayed the nitro over it. I warmed the can up with some warm water and just went at it. Just make sure that the guitar is smooth and free of any dust or crap.

--------------------

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2013, 10:49 AM
Now that thing cleaned up NICE!!!! Looks Gig Ready! Videos coming?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2013, 11:31 AM
Instructor
Awesome transformation!! I have the same "The starving musician" sticker in my fernandes guitar! A friend that lives in USA gave it to me.. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 5 2013, 12:42 PM
Awesome biggrin.gif I'm sending my guitar to you for a makeover laugh.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 5 2013, 10:13 PM
Maybe guitars should be left as they are? old bashed up guitars like Rory Gallagher's for example. The worn look, the history intact.
Just my 2 centimos!!! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 6 2013, 02:20 AM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 5 2013, 09:13 PM) *
Maybe guitars should be left as they are? old bashed up guitars like Rory Gallagher's for example. The worn look, the history intact.

If it oooozed the collnes of Rory's guitar it would have been left alone. I just had look and vibe in mind for it from day 1 and finally got the chance to do it. So i did.

As far as vid clips yeah soon as I can get a chance to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2013, 06:04 AM
I"m a big fan of Cheap Guitars myself smile.gif I usually try to stick around 3-400 for guitars which means buying lots of used gear. I"ve got a few new axes that have been pretty good but at that price, they all really lack a bit in the pickup area smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 5 2013, 08:20 PM) *
If it oooozed the collnes of Rory's guitar it would have been left alone. I just had look and vibe in mind for it from day 1 and finally got the chance to do it. So i did.

As far as vid clips yeah soon as I can get a chance to.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 6 2013, 10:51 AM
QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Feb 6 2013, 02:20 AM) *

Yeah it helps if its cool...BTW I thought you did a great job on painting your guitar...that one was probably worth the effort! Its always better to clean moss off old guitars at least (even Rorys). biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 6 2013, 11:14 AM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 5 2013, 10:13 PM) *

Yeah, i partly agree with you... they should be left as they are if they're old and have some story behind them...

2 centimos, that's very tiny bro?? ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
osiris
Feb 6 2013, 11:15 AM
Here's my officecaster:

It's the only one I have time to play. Can't say it's awesome, sustain on high E is crap. But at least it's got a hotrail :-). Got it for €115 including shipping, which is what a hotrails alone costs new :-).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 6 2013, 11:16 AM
Btw, great job MHD, i really like how it looks now! and how it sounds?

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 6 2013, 07:24 PM
I also love the cheap price..... not cheap made cheap guitars... smile.gif

For instance a Jackson DK2M for $275

Or the black strat below that is one of my favorite guitars that I put together from several different sources...

Squire Affinity Body - on purpose, I wanted a thinner body
DiMarzio Pickups - Air Norton bridge and Heavy Blues Mid , Vintage Blues Neck
Fender licensed scallopped neck (Was made for a Floyd, but works fine in this application)
Gotoh Tuners
New 3 Ply Pick Guard
Fender replacement saddles
Custom kill switch at the jack that I made because I didn't want to drill the pickguard. smile.gif

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Feb 6 2013, 07:31 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 6 2013, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2013, 05:04 AM) *
I"m a big fan of Cheap Guitars myself smile.gif I usually try to stick around 3-400 for guitars which means buying lots of used gear. I"ve got a few new axes that have been pretty good but at that price, they all really lack a bit in the pickup area smile.gif

Todd

Lets see if we can't fix that.

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 6 2013, 09:51 AM) *
Yeah it helps if its cool...BTW I thought you did a great job on painting your guitar...that one was probably worth the effort! Its always better to clean moss off old guitars at least (even Rorys). biggrin.gif

Rory's guitar is one of my faves. I almost bought a replica body from a friend over seas. I ;love the relic on his. Just ooooozes Mojo.

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 6 2013, 10:16 AM) *
Btw, great job MHD, i really like how it looks now! and how it sounds?

Sound wise, everything from 80s to early VH to Aldrich. To heavy blues. It truly is my most versatile guitar. It has a proto wind in the neck that I think i am gonna start doing more of. It is an A3 wind which is just crystal clear. I have some stuff on the bench right now and have worked out something with someone here. I am also when time allows gonna give a set of proto types away just for shits and giggles. Just gonna take time. It is pretty much me and a part time helper aka my brother in law. So be patient.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 7 2013, 11:24 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Nice job on that guitar man cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 7 2013, 12:52 PM
Mroberts70 and Osiris...Nice Geetars guys!!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 7 2013, 04:03 PM
Instructor
What's wrong with cheap guitars ? Nothing, if you're lucky to find a really good piece of wood smile.gif
Many years ago I got a tip from an old experienced musician on how to check the quality of the wood, no matter of brand - and that's Holy Grail for me, till these days !

Always try a guitar without amp ! None amp, processor or pickups will not give you a true picture !
Sit and stick the guitar to belly, (now, it's key moment, goal is to feel the vibration of strings),and play something .
The next part requires a bit of experience, and is a bit difficult to explain, but I believe that you will get a point what I want to say smile.gif
- If you feel shallow, hollow vibration and sound (unless it's a hollow guitar smile.gif ) - get away from it, but if you feel Big "O" in the stomach- that's it !!
- Play vibrato tones and listen sustain, dull and short tones are quickly recognized- the neck wood is bad, ducts are clogged..

Amps,proccs,pickups are later just cherry on the the cake wink.gif

These days in my country, one brand of guitars( $100-250 price range) made ​​a real panic among guitarists biggrin.gif !
I witnessed a hilarious situation - a man brought his $3000 worthy Gibson to compare it with that clone...He left shop confused unsure.gif !!!!
(I don't want to advertise them yet hehe, I expect couple of guitars )

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 7 2013, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 7 2013, 06:52 AM) *
Mroberts70 and Osiris...Nice Geetars guys!!

I'm not completely done with the black strat. I'm considering painting the headstock black as it looks too plain, probably fill the string tree holes and add rollers. Also replace the nut with a winlinson roller I've seen that is about as wide. Just a project guitar...

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 7 2013, 10:03 AM) *
What's wrong with cheap guitars ? Nothing, if you're lucky to find a really good piece of wood smile.gif
Many years ago I got a tip from an old experienced musician on how to check the quality of the wood, no matter of brand - and that's Holy Grail for me, till these days !

Always try a guitar without amp ! None amp, processor or pickups will not give you a true picture !
Sit and stick the guitar to belly, (now, it's key moment, goal is to feel the vibration of strings),and play something .
The next part requires a bit of experience, and is a bit difficult to explain, but I believe that you will get a point what I want to say smile.gif
- If you feel shallow, hollow vibration and sound (unless it's a hollow guitar smile.gif ) - get away from it, but if you feel Big "O" in the stomach- that's it !!
- Play vibrato tones and listen sustain, dull and short tones are quickly recognized- the neck wood is bad, ducts are clogged..

Amps,proccs,pickups are later just cherry on the the cake wink.gif

These days in my country, one brand of guitars( $100-250 price range) made ​​a real panic among guitarists biggrin.gif !
I witnessed a hilarious situation - a man brought his $3000 worthy Gibson to compare it with that clone...He left shop confused unsure.gif !!!!
(I don't want to advertise them yet hehe, I expect couple of guitars )

Good advice to know, thank you sir!

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Feb 7 2013, 04:14 PM

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 7 2013, 04:49 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 7 2013, 04:15 PM) *
I'm not completely done with the black strat. I'm considering painting the headstock black as it looks too plain, probably fill the string tree holes and add rollers. Also replace the nut with a winlinson roller I've seen that is about as wide. Just a project guitar...

Well actually one of the things I liked about your guitar was the headstock. I liked the small design on the tip.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:31 PM