2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Guage Strings To Use?
Challisman
Jun 20 2008, 02:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

now I've truly got the bug now and started playing again I was wondering what guage string of choice is for the instructors and students in general. I'm looking to concenrate more on the shredding side of things at the moment so looking for some nice speedy runs and some cool bends. I'm finding playing with my 9's bending to high notes and at speed can be a little tough (soul of the world being a prime example, Great by the way Kris & Marcus!!).

After a few days practising my fingers a sore as you like so I'm having to rest for a day to recover between practices. Will the lower guage help?

Cheers

Rob

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 20 2008, 02:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lower gauge needs a bit less strength from the fingers. But 0,09 is not very thick I believe, I have 0,10 and that's prety average I think. The thinner the strings, the less power is needed and the thinner the sound sounds.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 20 2008, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (Challisman @ Jun 20 2008, 03:26 PM) *
now I've truly got the bug now and started playing again I was wondering what guage string of choice is for the instructors and students in general.

.09 (XL) is what most people around here use. wink.gif

QUOTE (Challisman @ Jun 20 2008, 03:26 PM) *
After a few days practising my fingers a sore as you like so I'm having to rest for a day to recover between practices. Will the lower guage help?

Sorry, but you just have to endure it. tongue.gif
Don't worry, your callouses will grow strong and hardy in a couple months. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jun 20 2008, 02:49 PM
10's for me cuz they just feel right to my hands.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 20 2008, 02:54 PM
Instructor
09's here smile.gif Suits me perfectly

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 20 2008, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Used 11's before, but too heavy on the fingers. Now I use 10-46 - light. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 20 2008, 04:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have become quite fond of Ernie Balls super slinky .09s. Might be a bad habit, but I find them a bit easier to play, bend etc.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 20 2008, 04:53 PM
I prefere 010 for legato, but I am thinking of going back to 009 to make bends easier.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
The Spartan
Jun 20 2008, 04:54 PM
12's on D standard tuning.They feel great specially for my picking hand and I can easily bend and do vibrato with them biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by The Spartan: Jun 20 2008, 04:55 PM

--------------------

Practicing Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 4 at: (16th notes triplets)

89BPM 101BPM 110BPM 122BPM <-----Goal
86BPM 98BPM 107BPM 119BPM
83BPM 95BPM 104BPM 116BPM
80BPM 92BPM 101BPM 113BPM
77BPM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 20 2008, 04:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah using 9s is a good choice...

I use 40-60-70-95 though wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jun 20 2008, 06:34 PM
Instructor
mines are 0.09 wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bali
Jun 20 2008, 06:50 PM
I've used D'addarios .09 all my life, but since I've had this problem with my left pinky tendon I've switched to .08 so I don't strain my finger so much when doing bends.

I had to re-calibrate my floyd rose though.

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 20 2008, 06:58 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I use .10's on my main guitar E standard and .13 on my les paul tuned down 1/2 to Eb sometimes D. I also have some zakk wylde's on my bc rich so I can drop to C nice!! I am pretty sure .9's are standard, someone correct me if I am wrong dry.gif
when your fingers hurt take SRV's advice and "play till they bleed!!" Just kidding of course cool.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 20 2008, 11:03 PM
Instructor
i use extra light gauge 0.08

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 20 2008, 11:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I really like Ernie Ball Super Slinky (0.09-0.42). smile.gif They last way longer and have a nicer sound than any other kind of string i've tried.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 21 2008, 12:09 PM
I have 12's on my esp viper and 11th on my mexican strat, no problem to bend here... Okay, 1 1/2 step bends are impossible, and a whole step bend on the higher frets hurts, but, it's just for practise tongue.gif But I really like the 11's. I think I'm gonna stick with those, gets a really nice sound and feeling.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 21 2008, 02:13 PM
One more thing, Challisman.

Since you are already using 009 which should be fine for bending, maybe your action is too low? That also makes bending harder.
If you want to use the action really low, maybe you should try 008 (I guess this is the setup from Yngwie Malmsteen)

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 21 2008, 02:14 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jun 21 2008, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gus @ Jun 21 2008, 09:13 AM) *
One more thing, Challisman.

Since you are already using 009 which should be fine for bending, maybe your action is too low? That also makes bending harder.
If you want to use the action really low, maybe you should try 008 (I guess this is the setup from Yngwie Malmsteen)

I don't know if he does anymore, but Ynqwie as far as i know uses custom sets, the bottom three strings are 9's and the top three are 8's,

Actually there was a time back around Trilogy he was actually using 3 gauges, 10's for the low E, 9's for A thru G and 8's on the E and B.

I don't think he does that anymore, now he just uses a custom 2 gauge set up.

(like i said, far as i know)

Me personally i use 9-42 D'Addario, i actually prefer the 9-46's but on my guitar the extra meat on the bottom strings makes some of the intonation problems even worse so for now i use the 9'42's

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
redhandedhaze
Jun 22 2008, 09:47 PM
I've been using 08's for a couple years now. Listening to recordings with thicker strings on the same guitar, I can't tell any difference in tone or volume of any kind, but I only switched form 10's.

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Jun 23 2008, 04:28 PM
I pretty much never use anything else than tens. They came stock on my first guitar and I have this notion (and maybe that is all it is) that they sound "bigger". When I play nines I definately notice it and it is easier to bend, in that less force is required to push and stretch the string, but on the other hand I find that on the thinner strings there is less to grab on to in a way. All in all tho, I think that lower gauges a easier on your fingers.

I use D'Addario EXL110.

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Jun 23 2008, 04:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:51 PM