Best Shred Metal Axe
Azzaboi
Sep 26 2011, 06:39 AM
GMC:er
Hey Metalheads and Shredaholics (and other infectious diseased),

I was wondering what other guitarist experiences are with metal/shred axes and there favourite(s).

I'm quite interested in a EMP M-II, 6 String with duel EMG 81s, floyd rose tremolo, and double cut / neck thru. It looks sexy as, plays like a dream, and it's hard for me to put down. There's something in the way it feels for me that's so natural and similar to my Les Paul Gibson feel except silmmer and faster. I also was kinda keen on a tremolo so long it doesn't kill the playing position or tuning. It's kinda pricey thou (maybe I can save up a bit more). What kind of price tag should it be?

On the side note:

For a cheap price I could possible score a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR, if they are any good, i've heard it's quite hot?

I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut 24 fret, which I love the feel of and quite enjoy as an all rounder guitar. It's possible, but just maybe lacking a bit in the metal/speed side?

Anyone compared a Gibson vs EMP vs Schecter vs Ibanez Prestige?
What's your favourite axe for metal/shred?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 26 2011, 06:42 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 26 2011, 07:12 AM
Instructor
Hmmmm, if you were to ask me, I guess you can make a shred machine out of anything, IF you make a shred machine out of yourself in the first place! I've seen people do it on Strats, Les Pauls, PRS's and all sorts of guitars, so I think it's only up to you, to become a shredder and use the machine you have for that EXTRA spice which belongs to you only, in order to shred and shine in the same time wink.gif hope this makes sense!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 26 2011, 07:40 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 26 2011, 06:12 AM) *
Hmmmm, if you were to ask me, I guess you can make a shred machine out of anything, IF you make a shred machine out of yourself in the first place! I've seen people do it on Strats, Les Pauls, PRS's and all sorts of guitars, so I think it's only up to you, to become a shredder and use the machine you have for that EXTRA spice which belongs to you only, in order to shred and shine in the same time wink.gif hope this makes sense!

Hey mate I agree....not that i have the speed yet to claim myself as a shredder, but i find myself really particular about my guitar's....the neck, access to higher frets, where the volume and tone knobs are, and the pickup seletor switch are is very important. Because you can always change pickups....can't really change the tone the wood gives and the other features.

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 26 2011, 07:52 AM
Instructor
I agree with Cosmin's words about this. You can be a shredder with every guitar but the idea is that you feel comfortable with it so I suggest you to try every model and choose the one that feels better in your hands.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 26 2011, 08:12 AM
Totally agree with you, a lot comes down to the fingertips and playing style/skills. I would of never thought I could shred if I wasn't for GMC, Todd's lessons and a load of practice! I find my current Gibson comfortable to jam on, even to shred. I'm not complaining about it and I love it to bits.

For the Gibsons, will they stop producing them due to the wood shortage? I'm wondering if in years to come it would become more a collectors items, if so should I be treating it with more care, I don't thrash or scratch it. I'm not looking to get rid of it or replace it anytime soon.

However wondering, would you get more high gain, harmonics and cleaner metal with active pickups or do I lose out some dynamics and clean tone? I've always amired the tremolo, would a tremolo add another element of fun, dive bombing, etc, or do they just tend to get in the way? How many axes do you guys have, do you actually use them all or just pick one as a fav?

Testing this guitar, the ESP M-II out, felt so natural to me. Has anyone else played it before? Fret access is very important for me, I perfer double cut guitars, but getting the balance right is tricky.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 26 2011, 08:17 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 26 2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor
You will loose some dynamics and warmth to the tone, depending on the pickup. But what you loose there, you will gain in clarity and sustain. What type of balance you need, it's all about experimenting with various different pickups and models until you find the one that you like the most. Try in stores, it will be best if you could feel the differences for yourself. They are hard to describe.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 26 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies, I guess I got carried away a bit by the feeling/playablity of the guitar. The active pickups maybe however a huge issue, a bit problematic for me? The fact that they are active will make them drive the effects and amp harder, therefore the setup wouldn't run both guitars nicely without entire re-setup when swapping over? I also quite using like the dynamics in a tone. Can't you get the best of both worlds?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 26 2011, 10:14 PM
Instructor
Sure you can, it just depends what your preferences are. As I said, you need to sit down with plenty of different models and form a solid stand on what you need, based on what you tried out and what you like to play and sound. Then you can choose your best of both worlds.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 27 2011, 03:15 AM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 26 2011, 04:18 PM) *
Thanks for everyone's replies, I guess I got carried away a bit by the feeling/playablity of the guitar. The active pickups maybe however a huge issue, a bit problematic for me? The fact that they are active will make them drive the effects and amp harder, therefore the setup wouldn't run both guitars nicely without entire re-setup when swapping over? I also quite using like the dynamics in a tone. Can't you get the best of both worlds?

Thanks for the kind words smile.gif Glad the lessons are turning you to a MONSTER! The guys are right about the standard EMG active set. Less dynamics, more gain/sustain/harmonics. However you might try the new James Hetfield EMG set which are rumored to be a bit of both. As James grew to dislike standard EMGs over time for the same reason. He had an entirely new pair built from scratch with more dynamics. They are brand new and I"ve not tried them but it sounds like they might work. But I don't know if they are an option on the guitar you are looking at. Just a thought, see if you can find a guitar with them. More info on the EMG site.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/148/1

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 27 2011, 07:06 AM
Spot on Todd, that's what I might be after the EMG JH Set! I remembered you posted something about them (active pickups with passive qualities) before, I was actually going to look it up and then you post this, nice!

See if I can order a custom built ESP M-II with them installed and test it out.

I'm amused, while I like Metallica and love their tone, I never actually went into thinking the ESP M-II is a Metallica Axe just with one less tone pot and a different pickup. I've also never really been a fan of signature brand, but with those Pickups I'll make an exception - more bassy and got the needed dynamics, clarity and punch of a passive pickup.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 27 2011, 07:08 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 27 2011, 07:12 AM
Instructor
I was just browsing through EMG's site and noticed a lot of cool facts about their pickups, including the monster 8 string pickups they designed. Tosin Abasi from Animals as Leaders uses them biggrin.gif

This dude is pretty stunning laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 27 2011, 07:56 AM
That's some crazy 8 string monster! Maybe for those that master the 6 strings, can move onto the 7th then finally that beast. However, for those that fail at the 6th, there's always the 4 string... bass guitar, lol jokes.

I like how they test, test and retest these quality control, it will alway sound the same and was originally designed for jazz guitarist. With a Gibson, it's almost a hit or miss to what quality/sound you get, I guess each sounds unique thou.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
moleman
Sep 28 2011, 09:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I have a hellraiser with a fixed bridge, and emg 81 and 89 pickups, and I am very happy with it.
I bought the guitar looking for a warm, thick sound with strong high end for solos etc. I also wanted a bit of range, so I got the model with coil taps, and the sound differs drastically between engaged and disengaged pickups.
Plus it has a through-neck, and it just looks and feels amazing to play.

I'm not good enough to really understand the subtle nuances between different axes, but I would be happy to answer any questions you might have smile.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 28 2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds pretty sweet, do you just focus on metal or can it do a range of styles? I do have a question about the amp used with active pups, do you use solid state or tube amp? How does it drive the amp compared to a passive pickup?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 29 2011, 04:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 28 2011, 08:56 PM) *
Sounds pretty sweet, do you just focus on metal or can it do a range of styles? I do have a question about the amp used with active pups, do you use solid state or tube amp? How does it drive the amp compared to a passive pickup?

I forgot to tell you that my new guitar is a hellraiser and I was disappointed with the lack of dynamics,solution,spend a little more money customizing it, and I did ,keep the 81 in the bridge and put a passive SD Jazz in the neck
the 2 pick-ups cannot interact with one another so since I had 3 knobs
the first is volume for the 81
second is volume for the Jazz
third is tone for the jazz

I never have used tone on the bridge ,so that was my choice in the configuration and the 3 way switch is
bridge-----jazz--------jazz with coil tap

and I just have to say that this set up is the most dynamic I have ever heard-------for what it is worth

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 29 2011, 06:12 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Check out Bareknuckle Nailbombs. My favourite any day of the week. In fact, when I manage to get a PRS Custom 24 ( Black Tortoiseshell with Gold Hardware), those are going in straight away. I am debating on putting EMG's or Bareknuckles on my Schecter Damien FR, because it is my black metal guitar( I use it for all song writing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCVMIDp8jt4

Hope this helped.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 29 2011, 06:08 PM
Interesting setup with the hellraiser, would like to know how that sounds.

Wow those Bareknuckle Nailbombs Pups are a beast.

As for a PRS Custom 24, sweet as pick. I would say it's more of a classic rock style guitar. Not sure about changing pickups in them, they're designed so well with the originals. WIth a turn of the 5 way selector you can go from a Strat to a Les Paul sound. If that works just as well on those Bareknuckles I would be shocked and amazed!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 29 2011, 06:10 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2011, 06:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 29 2011, 05:08 PM) *
Interesting setup with the hellraiser, would like to know how that sounds.

Wow those Bareknuckle Nailbombs Pups are a beast.

As for a PRS Custom 24, sweet as pick. I would say it's more of a classic rock style guitar. Not sure about changing pickups in them, they're designed so well with the originals. WIth a turn of the 5 way selector you can go from a Strat to a Les Paul sound. If that works just as well on those Bareknuckles I would be shocked and amazed!

Mate trust me on this one biggrin.gif my PRS Custom 24 is a roaring beast just as it came out smile.gif no alterations whatsoever wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 30 2011, 03:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 29 2011, 05:12 PM) *
Mate trust me on this one biggrin.gif my PRS Custom 24 is a roaring beast just as it came out smile.gif no alterations whatsoever wink.gif

Opeth uses PRS customs with Bareknuckle Nailbombs wink.gif

They will always be my favourite band and I have to agree with their choice in guitar setups. I prefer Orange amps over Laney, though.

I am aware of the Mikael Akerfeldt signature PRS, and I will most likely get it, but I still think that the black tortoiseshell is the most flattering paint-job I have seen on a guitar. Personally, it fits my tastes very much. I have had the honour of playing one, and while I think that $3600 USD is a bit steep, I am willing to sacrifice for it.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
moleman
Sep 30 2011, 09:06 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 28 2011, 07:56 PM) *

I primarily use it for metal, but can get pretty good tones utilizing the coil taps and my pod x3.

I only have a small solid state Fernandes amp, so I tested it with my hellraiser, and an old BC Rich warlock, and I really noticed that the active pickups added a much stronger low end, and a more throaty overdrive. It felt like chords were much fuller, and palm muting sounded way better with the EMGs.
It might just be me, but I feel like I have to really control my hands more when playing with the active pickups, and make sure not to brush unneeded strings etc.

I don't really have the language to describe guitar stuff sorry, I'm still a newbie. Sorry if this is all incomprehensible :/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:51 PM