5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Noskill's Mtp Thread
Emir Hot
Sep 5 2009, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Hi NoSkill

Finally we have it all set and ready to go smile.gif I hope we will both have some good experience with this. The first thing I would like to know is what you would like to learn and we can take it from there. Please write down your current playing abilities, post some recordings or a video (if you have) and specify which area you would like to focus on. That can be anything from theory, technique, some of my lessons - just whatever you want. I am looking forward to this and I hope that you will learn many useful things throughout this program.

All the best
Emir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 5 2009, 05:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Emir,

I'm quite excited to get going with this MTP.

My playing abilities would be in the beginner/intermediate range. I've been flirting with the guitar for 25 years, but have never made any concerted effort to follow a pathway to proficient playing. I've mostly dabbled with live lessons and quit for variety of reasons, ranging from time issues to some lame excuse after another. Mostly due to being frustrated with exercises that I was unable to translate into making music. These were generally the fault of my lack of direction and having a low frustration threshold.

I studied theory in school with 3 years of music, but this was more than 20 years ago and I'm rusty...perhaps as rusty as the Titanic, so I need to do some reading.

I want to be able to play more melodic and technical leads. I have no aspirations to perform, but I have aspirations to be able to play and record music. My musical interests are varied from pop, to metal, to rock with progressive rock being the genre that I most listen to. I grew up listening to Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis. I also enjoyed listening to Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Kiss and Metallica. I'm currently enjoying some Neal Morse and bands like T-square and Casiopea.

As for playing styles, I would really like to be able to play country, rock, blues and shred. I know there is a variety of genre there, but I really enjoy playing music that I might not ordinarily listen to.

The neoclassical genre is very intriguing to me as it seems to have a heavy technical and theory aspects to it.

So, I want to increase my skill set. I would like, if it happens, to be able to increase my knowledge of guitar and composition, even if I hit a wall with playing abilities.

I guess, as disjointed as this sounds, I'm very open to explore as I am not married to any one idea/style/genre.

Here is my Wiki Page from GMC REC Program for examples of playing. They are, actually, fairly good examples of my playing. **shrug**

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Noskill

Now, in recording I tend to struggle with inconsistent bends and vibrato. In playing without the little evil red light, I still struggle with inconsistent bends, but that is improving I feel. I think my vibrato, however, when just playing is better than I am when I record. I do have trouble with vibrato with bends, worsening with full step or more bends.

The use of computers, headsets and DAW's has progressed my playing, in my opinion, considerably. I am able to spend more time enjoying the guitar through choosing a variety of video lessons and working with the computer in a "safe," environment. This is what has drawn me to GMC and this style of teaching.

I hope this is a start, but please, if you need me to be more specific let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Sep 5 2009, 05:07 PM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 5 2009, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Ok thanks for this helpful post. I will prepare some starting exercises for bending and vibrato to get us started. Check back here later and we'll take it from there smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 6 2009, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Hi

I have checked your videos. You have a very solid rhythm feel and that's a great thing. There is something about the control we could change. I suggest that we try my Robben Ford blues lesson for the first bigger goal. I can do a spoken video of the first couple of parts if you want.

For now I would like you to learn at least 5 licks from my Yngwie Malmsteen thread. This is good if you want to explore the neoclassical playing. Download GP file and some of the exercises. You can do video of these when you're ready but I want you to play with the metronome. Later we will make a backing track where you will use all these licks and make a solo out of them. In that part of MTP program we will talk about the recording techniques until you produce a decent sounding track. You will program midi drums yourself, bass guitar and record solo on top. Then we will mix it and master it. Let me know if you like this concept. Which DAW do you use? I have Sonar and Cubase. If you're using Reaper I will download it so we can work together. I will require you to send me the project files on email so I can check how you're progressing with the track.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 6 2009, 03:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'll look at those lessons and thread this morning and get started.

As for the DAW, I've been working on a Mac, but I have a PC on this desk too so I can work in whatever environment is most efficient for this. As for the DAW, I'll get whatever you suggest and whatever makes it most efficient for us to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 6 2009, 03:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 6 2009, 03:27 PM) *
I'll look at those lessons and thread this morning and get started.

As for the DAW, I've been working on a Mac, but I have a PC on this desk too so I can work in whatever environment is most efficient for this. As for the DAW, I'll get whatever you suggest and whatever makes it most efficient for us to work.

Sonar would be the best as that's my favorite smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 6 2009, 06:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Okay...I'll try and run to the city to get it or order it online today. I'm working on the Robben Ford lesson this morning and spent some time with the first three YM licks. I'm noticing a bit of coordination trouble with alternating fingering between my ring and my pinkie in lick 2...feeling like I'm wearing oven mitts again...I'll keep hammering at it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 6 2009, 07:29 PM
Instructor
Cool, we'll get to all those weak points you have. When you get Sonar and stuff we can start doing some recordings. Work on the lesson by then and those exercises. When you get some of it done post a video smile.gif What soundcard do you have?

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 6 2009, 08:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have the SB Audigy SE. I'll post video soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 09:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 6 2009, 08:55 PM) *
I have the SB Audigy SE. I'll post video soon!

Does that card use ASIO drivers? You need that to avoid latency when recording. I hope Sonar will do a good job with that card.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 7 2009, 04:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a firewire controller that I can use. I'm using amplitube now so I'm not tied to USB and a pod. That should take care of latency. From what I've read, anyway.

I was working on Santiago's collab for the last two days working on bending and vibrato, exercising with the YM licks and working through the dynamics of the first video of the RF lesson. I'm fighting with tone for Santiago's collab.

The RF lesson is coming good so far, but I'm just a short way into it. I just have to get used to a silly thing that is snagging me. In the third bar, after I play the triplet ending on G, I seem to stall and lose time moving to the F#, F, D part...my pinky won't move off the b string. I've been playing the next F with my ring finger...I wonder if this is a bad technique habit, or an acceptable compromise?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 7 2009, 04:38 PM) *
I have a firewire controller that I can use. I'm using amplitube now so I'm not tied to USB and a pod. That should take care of latency. From what I've read, anyway.

I was working on Santiago's collab for the last two days working on bending and vibrato, exercising with the YM licks and working through the dynamics of the first video of the RF lesson. I'm fighting with tone for Santiago's collab.

The RF lesson is coming good so far, but I'm just a short way into it. I just have to get used to a silly thing that is snagging me. In the third bar, after I play the triplet ending on G, I seem to stall and lose time moving to the F#, F, D part...my pinky won't move off the b string. I've been playing the next F with my ring finger...I wonder if this is a bad technique habit, or an acceptable compromise?

Take your time, do a video of at least first 8 bars when you feel comfortable then we can make corrections smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 13 2009, 03:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Quick update. I've mostly been working on the YM licks. It's been a busy week, but I have made some progress with them...I think.

I continue to work, cleaning them up, speeding up a couple of others. Me and Robben Ford aren't seeing eye to eye this week, but I'm going to beat him down tonight and tomorrow!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Sep 13 2009, 03:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 13 2009, 03:47 AM
Instructor
This video shows a great stuff. Your posture is perfect. The second lick has a note on the 1st string as well, you missed that smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 13 2009, 04:31 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Whoops. rolleyes.gif Fixed now in my practice. Not a difficult addition, thanks for the heads up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 17 2009, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Any updates?

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 17 2009, 03:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Continuing to practice the licks. I shelved the Robben Ford lesson this week and will come back to it on the weekend. I have isolated my speed issue. I am having a lot of difficulty alternating my pinky and ring finger when fretting. I have slowed down some of the licks and am working on that. I was also stabbing the pick into the middle pickup when I started picking fast, more like a chicken head plucking in a barnyard. So I'm working on this issue as well. I'll have some video this weekend I hope. I corrected lick 2 but it's been dark anytime I'm playing so the video looks awful. the other licks that involve alternating the pinky and ring have stalled me but that is getting better as I drill them. I have another Strat at my work and when I have moments during the day, I play the licks, even for 3 minutes, working on the ones where I have to alternate those fingers...lick 3 for example.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 17 2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the update. Take your time and post video when you're ready smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 24 2009, 01:00 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Update: Doing a burn in on the new pc tonight and tomorrow. Will get Sonar installed tomorrow night. I'm out of town for three days and back Sunday or Monday. I will have internet, but will not likely have a guitar. Everything is cruising along well.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 24 2009, 02:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 24 2009, 01:00 AM) *
Update: Doing a burn in on the new pc tonight and tomorrow. Will get Sonar installed tomorrow night. I'm out of town for three days and back Sunday or Monday. I will have internet, but will not likely have a guitar. Everything is cruising along well.

Cheers!

Cool smile.gif Let me know once you're ready and we'll move on.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM