2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Speed Picking Video
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2013, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys ! I just wanted to share a new video with you that I made about speed picking. I've always talked about the importance of the angle of your hand.. and how it is one area that is often neglected when talking about picking. If any of you guys are having picking problems this is one area you should look at smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 11 2013, 10:06 AM
Instructor
Just finished watching this 30 minutes ago! Great explanations and energy coming from a great player! Next time I'll be in London, you'd better be there too, young man! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2013, 10:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 11 2013, 09:06 AM) *
Just finished watching this 30 minutes ago! Great explanations and energy coming from a great player! Next time I'll be in London, you'd better be there too, young man! biggrin.gif

Thanks C-Maestro ! Yes, I would love to be. I hate having to miss out on things because of money, I'm tired of it ! dry.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 11 2013, 10:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 11 2013, 09:16 AM) *
Thanks C-Maestro ! Yes, I would love to be. I hate having to miss out on things because of money, I'm tired of it ! dry.gif

Mate, I understand you - totally - I mean, the UK is VERY expensive place... London at least. In Romania, a normal guy can live for two weeks without missing out on almost ANYTHING with the money I spent there in 2 days and a half for food and transport .. about 180 pounds that is. I came back thinking that there's no place like home smile.gif This sort of stuff makes you re-evaluate some situations... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2013, 10:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 11 2013, 09:32 AM) *
Mate, I understand you - totally - I mean, the UK is VERY expensive place... London at least. In Romania, a normal guy can live for two weeks without missing out on almost ANYTHING with the money I spent there in 2 days and a half for food and transport .. about 180 pounds that is. I came back thinking that there's no place like home smile.gif This sort of stuff makes you re-evaluate some situations... smile.gif

Yep, we even have a phrase for it 'London prices' huh.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 11 2013, 11:05 AM
Instructor
This is a really educational video Ben,bravo and keep 'em coming wink.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Nov 11 2013, 11:39 AM
GMC:er
Great video Ben, a few tips there that I'm deffinately taking on board. As for books, I love Wilbur Smith books.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 11 2013, 12:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ben, this video is really great. I've experimented with this a bit myself and must say I'm very slowly but hopefully surely converging to a hand position that helps my picking. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2013, 12:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 11 2013, 11:00 AM) *
Ben, this video is really great. I've experimented with this a bit myself and must say I'm very slowly but hopefully surely converging to a hand position that helps my picking. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

That's great to hear ! Your picking has been looking very good lately so I hope it only enhances the progress you've made ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 11 2013, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Ben smile.gif

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 11 2013, 05:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 11 2013, 10:06 AM) *
Next time I'll be in London

May I ask when this is planned to happen? smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 11 2013, 09:22 PM
Tone Seeker
Great great video, Ben smile.gif

But work on those video transitions wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2013, 09:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 11 2013, 08:22 PM) *
Great great video, Ben smile.gif

But work on those video transitions wink.gif

Yeah, I only noticed that after I'd uploaded it.. it took nearly 2 hours to upload a 10 minute video. Our internet sucks ! dry.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 11 2013, 09:43 PM
Very good video, funny I'm currently teaching a student the tremolo technique which is highly connected to such goals. This video will also be helpful for him smile.gif

The harder part for him was musically thinking different, of course till now he was so used to the metronome (highly controlled speed) such approach was too "musically free" for him to recognise at first. Rather than counting he had to musically feel when the next bar is coming in order to move along the solo. The solo example can be bombay vindaloo solo from Dream Theater although there are many examples...

For speeding up the right hand I recommended short busts of picking but the concentration was to listen to his body. Like trying to figure out what was limiting the movement for example shoulder angle, how hard the pick is held etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Nov 11 2013, 10:50 PM
Awesome tips, well done in the tutorial. Quite helpful Ben.

As for the questions: I'm reading the book, Stephen King - Under the Dome (along with watching the TV series), I wouldn't say it's his best book but I quite enjoy his large horror novels considering I don't read too much other times.

Also, from NZ - the land of the hobbits! Read the Lord of the Ring / Hobbit books...

Thanks for the vid tips, I'll work on that wrist idea it's interesting but gone unnoticed smile.gif
Does it matter on the leg you place your guitar? I think you idea works better on the right leg, but a bit confused about it on in classic position?

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Nov 11 2013, 10:58 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Nov 12 2013, 01:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
I really liked this video, it has answered a few questions I've forgotten to ask. When I listening to a song and either air strumming or picking my hand is in this position and very relaxed. It would seem that I could play just as fast as the record. So I tried to pick like this but since my hand is basically floating above the strings, accuracy and the ability to palm mute dropped. However even with the awkward hand position I could see that if I could pick accurately with my hand not tethered to the body then this could be very powerful tool. I had forgotten about it until today!

I practiced it for just a moment today and realized palm muting seems very difficult with this technique. Anyone else have experience with this?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 12 2013, 09:47 AM
Instructor
We spoke with Ben for a moment. Our right hand technique is very similar at the most important basics. I think that the key is the wrist angle that makes You able to play relaxed, similar to playing chords method. The differences come when we play on high strings. He keeps his hand position while I usually get exactly opposite wrist rotation to mute low strings.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2013, 10:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Nov 11 2013, 09:50 PM) *
Thanks for the vid tips, I'll work on that wrist idea it's interesting but gone unnoticed smile.gif
Does it matter on the leg you place your guitar? I think you idea works better on the right leg, but a bit confused about it on in classic position?

It's hard to give an insightful answer as I never play in the classical position. One reason I don't do it is because I don't feel it gives a true representation of your hand positions when you would be playing standing up. The other position doesn't either but is still a bit closer to it. But I don't think it should matter. If you can develop it with the guitar in 'side saddle' as Todd calls it, then when you can do it you could revert to practising in classical if you prefer smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Nov 12 2013, 12:49 AM) *
I really liked this video, it has answered a few questions I've forgotten to ask. When I listening to a song and either air strumming or picking my hand is in this position and very relaxed. It would seem that I could play just as fast as the record. So I tried to pick like this but since my hand is basically floating above the strings, accuracy and the ability to palm mute dropped. However even with the awkward hand position I could see that if I could pick accurately with my hand not tethered to the body then this could be very powerful tool. I had forgotten about it until today!

I practiced it for just a moment today and realized palm muting seems very difficult with this technique. Anyone else have experience with this?

Yeah I try not to float it away from the guitar so I don't lose the connection with the strings. If I move my hand a bit higher and closer to the bridge, then it turns my wrist away and out.. this enables me to use the little finger side of my hand to rest against the strings and mute smile.gif

It will take a bit of fiddling around.. I had to mess around for a while before I 'got it'. You may find yourself doing it one way for several days and then discover that a small adjustment will work better, then try that. That's what I did smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 11 2013, 08:43 PM) *
For speeding up the right hand I recommended short busts of picking but the concentration was to listen to his body. Like trying to figure out what was limiting the movement for example shoulder angle, how hard the pick is held etc.

Excellent advice.. that's what I recommend smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 12 2013, 08:47 AM) *
The differences come when we play on high strings. He keeps his hand position while I usually get exactly opposite wrist rotation to mute low strings.

Yeah it took a lot of experimentation to be able to get the right feel for picking the high E string in the same way as I pick the rest of them. A lot of players can pick really well on the low E, for example, but struggle on the top E.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2013, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 12 2013, 09:20 AM) *
It's hard to give an insightful answer as I never play in the classical position. One reason I don't do it is because I don't feel it gives a true representation of your hand positions when you would be playing standing up. The other position doesn't either but is still a bit closer to it. But I don't think it should matter. If you can develop it with the guitar in 'side saddle' as Todd calls it, then when you can do it you could revert to practising in classical if you prefer smile.gif

Yeah I try not to float it away from the guitar so I don't lose the connection with the strings. If I move my hand a bit higher and closer to the bridge, then it turns my wrist away and out.. this enables me to use the little finger side of my hand to rest against the strings and mute smile.gif

It will take a bit of fiddling around.. I had to mess around for a while before I 'got it'. You may find yourself doing it one way for several days and then discover that a small adjustment will work better, then try that. That's what I did smile.gif

Excellent advice.. that's what I recommend smile.gif

Yeah it took a lot of experimentation to be able to get the right feel for picking the high E string in the same way as I pick the rest of them. A lot of players can pick really well on the low E, for example, but struggle on the top E.

My band mate Cezar, is picking in the same manner out of what I noticed and he is a very proficient alternate picker and aside from that, he is holding the guitar really low - I can't understand how he does it, holding it that low. I think it's in the way we are all built - a different way for each guy and gal.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2013, 06:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 12 2013, 02:07 PM) *
My band mate Cezar, is picking in the same manner out of what I noticed and he is a very proficient alternate picker and aside from that, he is holding the guitar really low - I can't understand how he does it, holding it that low. I think it's in the way we are all built - a different way for each guy and gal.

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed. If you have your guitar low then it automatically guides you to this type of hand position. Look at people like James Hetfield - they can play down strokes so fast because of that loose wrist ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:03 AM