jstcrsn
Apr 16 2020, 11:08 PM
GMC:er
ok guys , looking for a good buy
1 16 -32 ram
2 at least 250 ssd
3 at least 15 " wide
4 thunderbolt port

I have one i am looking at but want to see what you find , PC or Mac , I am just tired of clicking from usb when you have multiple plugins

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2020, 04:06 AM
What do you mean by "Clicking from usb when you have multiple plugins"?

Phil66 just bought a new PC laptop a bit ago and has been very happy with it. Maybe shoot him a PM. I forget which vendor he chose If you shoot him a PM I'm sure he can add some info to this thread.

If you are a REAPER guy, then PC can save you money over going with a MAC of similar spec

Looks like you want a thunderbolt port? Some PCs have that but it's mostly a "Mac Thing", do you have gear that requires thunderbolt? I love thunderbolt but I'm a mac guy.

I bought a 2012 Macbook pro used with quad i7 chip in it and upgraded the ram to 15gb and 1TB SSD and it's been solid as a rock.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 16 2020, 06:08 PM) *
ok guys , looking for a good buy
1 16 -32 ram
2 at least 250 ssd
3 at least 15 " wide
4 thunderbolt port

I have one i am looking at but want to see what you find , PC or Mac , I am just tired of clicking from usb when you have multiple plugins

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2020, 11:19 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is what I got and I put my own 500gb ssd in as a storage drive. Superb machine extremely low latency in fact its undetectable.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs...top-no-firewire

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 17 2020, 04:06 AM) *
What do you mean by "Clicking from usb when you have multiple plugins"?

Phil66 just bought a new PC laptop a bit ago and has been very happy with it. Maybe shoot him a PM. I forget which vendor he chose If you shoot him a PM I'm sure he can add some info to this thread.

If you are a REAPER guy, then PC can save you money over going with a MAC of similar spec

Looks like you want a thunderbolt port? Some PCs have that but it's mostly a "Mac Thing", do you have gear that requires thunderbolt? I love thunderbolt but I'm a mac guy.

I bought a 2012 Macbook pro used with quad i7 chip in it and upgraded the ram to 15gb and 1TB SSD and it's been solid as a rock.

USB sends in blocks , if block is to big from too many plugins ,it clicks /scratches or pops unless you lower latency and with ez drummer , midi bass a left and right guitar with a center lead track ( all plugins )it will click and pop if the record is armed but paused . I have found out it does not matter how bitchin your computer spec are , it still sends it in the same size block and once the block is to big , your'e screwed.

I think you might have me talked into the Macbook Todd , i have been searching reaper thread and can't find moving PC reaper files to the mac .. any ideas .. is it as easy as sending to storage then sending to the mac

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Apr 17 2020, 07:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *
USB sends in blocks , if block is to big from too many plugins ,it clicks /scratches or pops unless you lower latency and with ez drummer , midi bass a left and right guitar with a center lead track ( all plugins )it will click and pop if the record is armed but paused . I have found out it does not matter how bitchin your computer spec are , it still sends it in the same size block and once the block is to big , your'e screwed.

I think you might have me talked into the Macbook Todd , i have been searching reaper thread and can't find moving PC reaper files to the mac .. any ideas .. is it as easy as sending to storage then sending to the mac

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with USB and clicking still. Do you mean you have it on a USB stick or a USB connected hard drive and it needs to transfer? I have no problems on my desktop unless I run all my heaviest VSTs at once. My desktop is 3 years old or more now.

I always thought the plugins were primarily RAM heavy and didn't really have anything to do with USB?

EDIT: Or are you talking about recording to an external drive? Or loading samples from an external drive?

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Apr 17 2020, 08:04 PM

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2020, 07:53 PM) *
I'm not entirely sure what you mean with USB and clicking still. Do you mean you have it on a USB stick or a USB connected hard drive and it needs to transfer? I have no problems on my desktop unless I run all my heaviest VSTs at once. My desktop is 3 years old or more now.

I always thought the plugins were primarily RAM heavy and didn't really have anything to do with USB?

clicking with Usb connectivity with audiobox ( back and forth for monitoring )..Ram helps the computer talk to itself so the more ram the better , but nothing can change the usb block size going back and forth thru the usb . USB 3 sends multiple blocks but the sizing is still the same so I think that is why they don't make usb 3 interfaces as I believe they will still have the same problem.
and it seems in my case my latency gets too much to record
my specs are I7 , 16 ram , 512 pci-e ssd
did not quite understand usb and block sizing when I got it
So my only conclusion would be to make sure there is a thunderbolt port

now if I want to record without plugins and only ez drummer it is fine , but limited time and space , it is just way easier to create using plugins and midi, not to mention the noise reated by a half stack load enough to get tone and then a loadbox with impulses is as expensive as a new computer so thats were i am heading

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-thun...n-to-musicians/

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 17 2020, 08:24 PM

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Apr 17 2020, 08:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 08:07 PM) *
clicking with Usb connectivity with audiobox ( back and forth for monitoring )..Ram helps the computer talk to itself so the more ram the better , but nothing can change the usb block size going back and forth thru the usb . USB 3 sends multiple blocks but the sizing is still the same so I think that is why they don't make usb 3 interfaces as I believe they will still have the same problem.
and it seems in my case my latency gets too much to record
my specs are I7 , 16 ram , 512 pci-e ssd
did not quite understand usb and block sizing when I got it
So my only conclusion would be to make sure there is a thunderbolt port

I'm asking my computer tech friend who asks if you are running things from an external hard drive and how much you are running from an external drive if so? And how many tracks you have running?

I can't say I have ever had the problems you've mentioned here with just those few plugins running, even on my older laptop with 4 GB ram I ran superior drummer 2, BIAS FX, bass plugin and such. On my current system I have no problems with A LOT of tracks, plugins and such, with 16 GB of RAM and a buffer size at either 64 or 128.

--------------------

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2020, 08:20 PM
You can always export your "Stems" from your existing projects. However, REAPER is cross platform so you should be able to open any project you made on PC on your MAC. As long as your mac is running the same or newer version of reaper. I do love my ancient mac smile.gif Never had any glitches or latency. However, Phill can say the same thing on his monster PC laptop.

If you do get an older macbook pro, make sure you get one that has a quad i7 processsor and that has ram that can be upgraded. Some newer macbooks can't be upgraded since the ram/drive is soldered to the motherboard. This is a list of macs that you [b]can't upgrade the ram in.

NO RAM UPGRADE ON THESE MACS
iMac Pro (All Models)
Retina MacBook (All Models)
MacBook Air 11” (All Models)
MacBook Air 13” (All Models)
MacBook Pro 13” with Retina Display (All Models)
MacBook Pro 13” with Touch Bar (All Models)
MacBook Pro 15” with Retina Display (All Models)
MacBook Pro 15” with Touch Bar (All Models)

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 10:44 AM) *

Very good point! IF you run projects from an external drive, that drive should be as fast as possible. An external SSD attached with THUNDERBOLT is as fast as an internal SSD which is very handy. Few PCs have thunderbolt but some do. Most have USB 3. If you have an external SSD with a USB 3 connection, It should be very fast as well.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2020, 03:14 PM) *
I'm asking my computer tech friend who asks if you are running things from an external hard drive and how much you are running from an external drive if so? And how many tracks you have running?

I can't say I have ever had the problems you've mentioned here with just those few plugins running, even on my older laptop with 4 GB ram I ran superior drummer 2, BIAS FX, bass plugin and such. On my current system I have no problems with A LOT of tracks, plugins and such, with 16 GB of RAM and a buffer size at either 64 or 128.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 17 2020, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 08:37 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 17 2020, 11:19 AM) *
This is what I got and I put my own 500gb ssd in as a storage drive. Superb machine extremely low latency in fact its undetectable.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs...top-no-firewire

what kid off usb cable are you running

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2020, 08:41 PM
He's running standard USB 3 cable from what I remember?

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 03:37 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2020, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 08:37 PM) *

I've just checked and I'm using a USB 2.0 cable into a USB 3 port so I might get even better results using a USB 3 cable BUT, the USB type B port on the back of the Scarlett isn't like a USB type B 3.0 which looks like two connectors stacked so I don't know if my Scarlett even handles USB 3.0

I have to say, I had it plugged into a powered USB hub and noticed no difference going direct into the laptop.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 09:04 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2020, 08:14 PM) *

internal ssd storage , i just ran an experiment
1. ez drummer
2. midi bass with bias fx bass amp plugin
3. left rythum bias fx guitar plugin
4. right lead bias fx plugin
at 64 with clicks and scratches

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 17 2020, 08:20 PM) *
MacBook Pro 15” with Retina Display (All Models)
MacBook Pro 15” with Touch Bar (All Models)

Very good point! IF you run projects from an external drive, that drive should be as fast as possible. An external SSD attached with THUNDERBOLT is as fast as an internal SSD which is very handy. Few PCs have thunderbolt but some do. Most have USB 3. If you have an external SSD with a USB 3 connection, It should be very fast as well.

I am actually looking at a 2015 , but it has I 7 , 16 ram and a 512 ssd , figured it had the specs you had so I won't need to upgrade any more

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
Apr 17 2020, 09:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 09:01 PM) *
internal ssd storage , i just ran an experiment
1. ez drummer
2. midi bass with bias fx bass amp plugin
3. left rythum bias fx guitar plugin
4. right lead bias fx plugin
at 64 with clicks and scratches

I just checked my setting now, and I have it set at 128 buffer size. That gives me a round trip of 6+6 ms, I think, and I don't have any problems with that. I think they say below 20 ms is fine, but it's been a while since I checked up on that. Of course you'd want as little latency as possible.

Also, I'm not even running from an SSD, just running from a regular hard drive, but can't say I have those issues. I just can't help but wonder if something else is causing the issue. Not that I know what it could be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2020, 09:06 PM) *
I just checked my setting now, and I have it set at 128 buffer size. That gives me a round trip of 6+6 ms, I think, and I don't have any problems with that. I think they say below 20 ms is fine, but it's been a while since I checked up on that. Of course you'd want as little latency as possible.

Also, I'm not even running from an SSD, just running from a regular hard drive, but can't say I have those issues. I just can't help but wonder if something else is causing the issue. Not that I know what it could be.

well ..On top of this , my computer renders into oblivion , i can neither find or open where ever it is I render to and if i render again it asks me if i want ti rewrite , i have tried to rewrite and incrementally render , but can't find it

my wife always says computers hate our family , we do never seem to have great luck

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 17 2020, 09:12 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2020, 09:16 PM
I would also guess since all vst, vsti works on ram likely the problem is related to recording audio to the external HDD.

There are soundcards that have 8 inputs with USB2 for outdoor recording, but with all channels enabled they're limited to 44.1khz samplerate. And during recording no fx is used so the ram can act like a buffer if needed. Your mix likely has more tracks or data than that.

Is buying the internal HDD 500gb or 1tb too expensive? you could work the project there then send them to an external and always have enough space in the computer. You can still use EZdrummer from the external HDD.

As for a reaper project thats made in pc to open with mac, I also have no experience. Even if impossible (must ask forum), as Todd mentioned you could always render as stems.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 08:10 PM) *

If you're rendering from the external drive, maybe carring the project folder to your system drive and rendering there might make a difference?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 17 2020, 09:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 09:34 PM
Ben ,Mertay ,Todd , Phill , anyone else I left out..thanks for your help , much to think about

your'e alright ..I don't care what Kris says about you

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 17 2020, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2020, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2020, 09:34 PM) *
your'e alright ..I don't care what Kris says about you

Kris loves us tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2020, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 17 2020, 10:11 PM) *
Kris loves us tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

okay..what ever it takes to get you thru wink.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 17 2020, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2020, 10:22 PM
Bollox cool.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2020, 10:59 PM
laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 03:21 PM