3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Satriani Sues Coldplay!, What do U think?
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2008, 12:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 6 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Oh I forgot, no one will sue you unless you make millions of dollars from the song, we're safe mellow.gif

Good point! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 6 2008, 01:02 AM
GMC:er
Hmm... I'm not sure about the authenty of this news item..

Yeah I read it on Ultimate-guitar, but it doesnt even contain a single quote, plus there's no mention of it on Satriani's site..

So I dunno how true this is, but if it is, than I'm sure that satch has a strong case to sue them, his not the one to just go blazing about copyrights, like metallica for example tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 6 2008, 01:24 AM
QUOTE (Kapto @ Dec 6 2008, 12:55 AM) *
That's gonna be a good publicity for Satch. That's all he's after winning or not. That's what I think

Joe Satriani is a gentle soul. I would find it hard to believe that he had even an ounce of greed in him. It just doesn't fit his profile. It just doesn't make sense that Satch is after publicity, good or bad. He's got a legitimate case here. He could have let it slide, but he has a right to the integrity of his music.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 6 2008, 02:28 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 5 2008, 11:37 PM) *
This is interesting - makes me think... What if you or me happen to write something which sounds like someone else's song, and if you then get sued..?! unsure.gif

Better stop writing music ph34r.gif

Or what if Paul Gilbert sues me for a pattern I thought invented ph34r.gif

Oh I forgot, no one will sue you unless you make millions of dollars from the song, we're safe mellow.gif

I agree fully. Satriani is only sueing Coldplay because they made millions off the song. There are only a finite amount of chord progressions and riffs and Coldplay wrote there song without listening to Joe at all I'd imagine. If he wins it's just wrong because it isn't the same. Just because his solo can be played over their song doesn't mean it's copied. They don't do his solo. I hate this stuff.

Gary Moore just lost a case also

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=110167

QUOTE (FrankW @ Dec 6 2008, 12:24 AM) *
Joe Satriani is a gentle soul. I would find it hard to believe that he had even an ounce of greed in him. It just doesn't fit his profile. It just doesn't make sense that Satch is after publicity, good or bad. He's got a legitimate case here. He could have let it slide, but he has a right to the integrity of his music.

Satriani knows he is nothing and he wants a bit of cash to live. He is like most people these days. Full of greed but hopefully he loses and they get him to pay the court charges. I'd laugh forever biggrin.gif Satriani is a money grabber. Just because he can't make money he sues a band that does make money. He is a joke.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2008, 02:31 AM
GMC Founder
To be more specific this is probably is not about what Satch thinks - but his publishing company (or anybody else who has interest in the legal aspects of Satch's productions - in most cases the actual artists have very little influence on these kind of situations), who of course should defend the rights to their product etc.

Where artistry and business meet is a contradictory territory.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 6 2008, 02:58 AM
The Dark Canuck
I'm not that familiar with Satch's song but I am a fan of Viva La vida. I enjoyed the whole album actually.

Do both songs sound similar? YES

Does Satch have a case? Not sure but probably. (I don't know a lot about copy-write infringement)

What I find interesting is the album has been out since June, the song has been on the charts since May, but he waits until it's nominated for some Grammy's before filing a suit. But good luck to all and if Coldplay are in the wrong then they do deserve to pay up... I'm just suspicious of the timing.

rok

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 6 2008, 03:12 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Dec 6 2008, 02:58 AM) *
What I find interesting is the album has been out since June, the song has been on the charts since May, but he waits until it's nominated for some Grammy's before filing a suit.
rok

It could very well be that Satch wasn't even aware of the music until it was hyped for a Grammy. Like I said, it's just not like Satch, in my opinion, to be the greedy sort. He really has a case if Coldplay is getting recognition based on that particular songs' popularity. He probably wouldn't even be aware of it, otherwise. I'm pretty sure Satch makes, and has, plenty of money from all the great music he has produced over the years. smile.gif

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 6 2008, 04:23 AM
Man please, I am not endorsed by Satch but listen to this I dont care about the chord progression but there are 8 notes identical in both melodies and lets make the calculation, if there are 12 notes available and 7 notes in a scale that is directly related to the chord progression, probablity to make the same melody is 7x7x7x7x7x7x7x7 to 1. That makes 5.764.801 to 1. And lets say you have to use the roots to chords that are switched, as there is 4 chords progressing, it still makes 1x7x1x7x1x7x1x7 to 1 and that makes 2401 to 1. Isn't that clear?

wink.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 6 2008, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 6 2008, 02:28 AM) *
Satriani knows he is nothing and he wants a bit of cash to live. He is like most people these days. Full of greed but hopefully he loses and they get him to pay the court charges. I'd laugh forever biggrin.gif Satriani is a money grabber. Just because he can't make money he sues a band that does make money. He is a joke.

Beautiful! Your insight is staggering. There's no way I can argue with that kind of logic. Bravo! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Dec 6 2008, 05:32 AM
I just looked up online about plagiarism laws, and I guess you need to have 8 consecutive "plagiarized" notes for it to be considered plagiarism, or copyright infringement.

I only counted 4 or 5. sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
inertia
Dec 6 2008, 05:38 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 5 2008, 08:28 PM) *

You're right, he is nothing, I mean because YOU're saying it, it must be true mellow.gif

+Quote Post
N4085B
Dec 6 2008, 06:21 AM
Even Rush has run into a similar situation before. Take a listen;

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...ymond-scott.mp3
(takes a few seconds to download)

Severals fans have reported hearing the "Monsters" section of La Villa Strangiato in a recent VISA commercial. But it turns out that it was not Rush's La Villa Strangiato at all - it was a version of the song Powerhouse which was written, performed, and first recorded by Raymond Scott in 1936. The song is very familiar to many people because of its wide usage in cartoons. This FAQ from the Raymond Scott website sheds some light on the relation between Rush's La Villa Strangiato and Powerhouse:

Q: Did the rock band RUSH get sued and have to pay royalties for their unauthorized use of Raymond Scott's ''Powerhouse'' in their 1978 recording "La Villa Strangiato"?

A: By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord RS partial songwriting credit on the.piece.

Take a listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn's playing.....Just about every lick he ever played was done before by the blues guitar greats decades prior to him....I remember seeing an interview where he readily admits this. I think its true of all of us...we listen to our favorite bands and either consciously or unconsciously pick up on licks, melodies, and techniques and use them in our own playing.

This post has been edited by N4085B: Dec 6 2008, 06:43 AM

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 6 2008, 11:19 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 6 2008, 03:28 AM) *
I agree fully. Satriani is only sueing Coldplay because they made millions off the song. There are only a finite amount of chord progressions and riffs and Coldplay wrote there song without listening to Joe at all I'd imagine. If he wins it's just wrong because it isn't the same. Just because his solo can be played over their song doesn't mean it's copied. They don't do his solo. I hate this stuff.

Gary Moore just lost a case also

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=110167

I hope you'r not serious in this post, even I got offended by how rude it was.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 6 2008, 11:26 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Dec 6 2008, 05:19 AM) *
I hope you'r not serious in this post, even I got offended by how rude it was.

putting OC's opinion of Satriani aside, I feel he made a few fairly good points. Yes it is quite suspicious that the song in question is written inthe same key, and and at the same tempo, with the same melody... but its only the chorus part fo the song right???

I mean the rest of the song is completely different...

and besides... as Kris mentioned earlier... it is entirely likely that it is the record label that is taking care of this legal issue, and that Satriani has little/nothing to do with it.

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Dec 6 2008, 12:06 PM
Singing Instructor
Melodies seams to be similar,but suing is just wrong if atentions are not bad.I personaly think that Viva la Vida is one of the best albums this year,and this little what I think coinsidance will not change my view on this band or Satrianis music for that matter.

What mater in this or any case when it comes to music is,atmosphere that you bring tho the whole thing.I think that Coldplay is very original band,that is why I never taught about this before,until this theard(and I'v heard bout songs beffore).

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Gus
Dec 6 2008, 12:59 PM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Dec 5 2008, 10:28 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I .. i agree with Satrianis case. It's quite obvious really.

OMG. The part where the guy mixed guitar and voice together is absolutely awesome! tongue.gif
Really, if they wanted to copy they should have invited Satch to play the song with them in the recording. I am quite sure he would be glad.

QUOTE (enforcer @ Dec 6 2008, 04:23 AM) *
Man please, I am not endorsed by Satch but listen to this I dont care about the chord progression but there are 8 notes identical in both melodies and lets make the calculation, if there are 12 notes available and 7 notes in a scale that is directly related to the chord progression, probablity to make the same melody is 7x7x7x7x7x7x7x7 to 1. That makes 5.764.801 to 1. And lets say you have to use the roots to chords that are switched, as there is 4 chords progressing, it still makes 1x7x1x7x1x7x1x7 to 1 and that makes 2401 to 1. Isn't that clear?

wink.gif

I fully agree with you. Equal Tempo and chord progression do not mean a thing. But, same melody is totally suspicious . Just look at our recording collaborations. Different people sound totally different given the same chord sequence to work over it. I'd say the probability is smaller than 2401, because not all combinations sound nice. But it would still be very unlikely they did not copy it.

This post has been edited by Gus: Dec 6 2008, 01:02 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
J.E.
Dec 6 2008, 01:25 PM
You say i have a bold oppinion on the matter if Coldplay is in it for the money or not, but that is just my oppinion smile.gif Im not the biggest fan of Satch but i think he outplays those guys any day! tongue.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Dec 6 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't know much about this thing nor do I care that much either, but did you guys know that Coldplay was accused of plagiarism last summer by Creaky Boards. the "plagiarised song" was the same Viva La Vida. They didn't sue though, chord progression was the same and melody similiar, not as similiar as Joe's song though.

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 6 2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Hmm,I heard rumor about it but haven't really compared
both tunes until now.
Chord progression is the same but that is pretty ordinary one tho.
Problem is the key,melody and the tempo,just the same.
Dunno,I believe court is the right solution for this,
lets see what experts in this field of law gonna say.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
J.E.
Dec 6 2008, 01:54 PM
I agree with Muris smile.gif

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:28 AM