> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2012, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Hi MonkeyDAthos! This is your thread for the Gab's Army!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not really just kidding...)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Mar 6 2012, 01:45 PM
GMC:er
Well my taste, well too many things to name, so check this, contains everything i listen to http://www.lastfm.com.br/user/WheckYeah
So as goes by influences; i got always something from there, and there, and there and there.

strengths and weaknesses? - well biggrin.gif ahah weaknesses pretty much eveything, strengths..well i am not shy when i am at stage, i guess we can count that as a strengths tongue.gif

i have been playing for 2,5years and my main goal, is to achieve control and awereness over the instrument!

i have wrote a few things: (Working flower view at Cosmin's)

I will try upload videos as soon as i can.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Mar 6 2012, 01:50 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Crazy_Asian_Washing_Machine.gp5 ( 6.54K ) Number of downloads: 491
Attached File  Bath_With_the_Dead.gp5 ( 3.86K ) Number of downloads: 527
Attached File  Flower_View.gp5 ( 20.39K ) Number of downloads: 509

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 6 2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the description. I checked the three songs and I think that there are some cool ideas to develop there! Morning Flower is the most promising right now but I think that the other two ones has some potential. We could work on any of those if you want.

Regarding your playing, we will work on technique using exercises and lessons. Also I would like you to choose any of the active collabs to join. The idea is that you post your ideas for the collab here and after some feedback record the final take. What do you think?

I'll wait for the videos to know your current level.

Welcome again! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 28 2012, 10:44 PM
Io Gab, sorry i can't post videos atm cuz my arms are in recovering, but there is something i would really like to work with you.
that is analyzing structurally songs but i have 0 experience xD

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2012, 04:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 28 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Io Gab, sorry i can't post videos atm cuz my arms are in recovering, but there is something i would really like to work with you.
that is analyzing structurally songs but i have 0 experience xD

Ok! Please post here a least 5 songs that you like.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 30 2012, 08:49 PM

xD ps: i have no idea how to do it, so i might need your guidance at the beginning

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2012, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Ok, let's start analysing those songs... this is a template of what you should do.

Name of the song:
Name of the band:

Structure // What is happening? // Chords & Scalesnull

Structure: You will divide the tune in Intro - Riff - Verse - Prechorus- - Chorus - Solo - Part C and so... You can add the letters A, B, C to the sections when you find different ones in the same tune (Ex: Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Solo A, Solo)

what is happening?: Here you will describe each part. You can explain how is the part, if it has vocals, screams, melodies, harmonizations, how much is last, how many measures, etc. Every information that could be useful to understand the part.

Chords & Scales: Here you will post the tonality, the chord progression and the scales used for the melodies and solos.

Post you analysis using this concept here once you have it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 29 2012, 01:30 AM
Hey Gab, i shall update this in a few days, been busy with exams and stuff, but finally got some free time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2012, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ May 28 2012, 09:30 PM) *
Hey Gab, i shall update this in a few days, been busy with exams and stuff, but finally got some free time.

Ok mate! Thanks for the notifying! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 11 2012, 03:46 PM
Hey Gab, sorry i haven't been around lately:

there's something i would like to know:
for example how do you define things like; intro, Verse, bridge, breakdown; what are those things?; if i listen to a song i can find a chorus; but what's the definitions of a chorus?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2012, 07:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 11 2012, 11:46 AM) *
Hey Gab, sorry i haven't been around lately:

there's something i would like to know:
for example how do you define things like; intro, Verse, bridge, breakdown; what are those things?; if i listen to a song i can find a chorus; but what's the definitions of a chorus?

Well, the chorus is usually (like the main riff), the most memorable part of a song, is that part that uses to appear many times in the whole structure and is usually repeated after the verse to make it more catchier. The most common song structure has the chorus after the first verse, after the second verse and after the solo section or bridge. The intro is the first part of a song and as its name says, it functions as the introduction to the song. Some songs starts with a riff or with the chorus chord progression. The verse is the first part that appear after the intro and it includes vocals. The bridge connects the verse, with the chorus and it usually includes a vocal melody and contrasts with the chorus.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 2 2016, 03:31 PM
Hey Gab, hows life going!

I was lurking some older threads and noticed you sharing some Chon goodness.
I find their playng very appealing, probably one of my favorite guitar driven bands. But i am not very experience in their style. What would you recommend, for someone who is trying to get into it, mechanical and theorical wise.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2016, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Nice to see you here!

The answer is get into Jazz vocabulary, and being more specific, learning chord melody. That would be the first step. Learning deeply triads, chords, extended chords, inversions and all the theory behind tonalities.

For example, this lesson is not in the style of Chon, but you'll find many shapes and ideas used in their music.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-Melody-Technique/

Chon music is some kind of modern progressive band with strong jazz, and modern jazz influences, not only from guitar stuff, also from pianists.

In order to know where to start, we need to know what you already know.... what can you say?

If you have some time this weekend, check this beautiful clinic which will bring lots of creative ideas:

Also, here is a cool interview:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/211h...nd_chon_ask_us/

"[–]CHONofficial[S] 17 points 2 years ago
we take a lot of influence from pianists.
sometimes one of us will be playing lower notes like the left hand of a pianist and the other will be doing higher stuff like the right hand of a pianist"

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 10:27 AM
Oh man you know how to get into my heart tongue.gif , in all seriouness I love the chord/melody approach on guitar.

I have been getting into jazz since last year.
Funny enough i am not very found of the "classic" form of jazz where guitar is the driven force. I tried to listen to guys such as Wes Montgomery or Allan Holdsworth, while I do agree they are gigantic monsters in their instruments, it doesn't ring a bell to me. :/ i much rather listen to piano/singing/sax driven jazz.

Like:

They have actually played here in Portugal 2 weeks ago and i didn't know, was completely heart-broken. sad.gif

But when it comes to chord/melody, is something i actually have a strong desire on improving.
Imagine the savings on gig! One man band biggrin.gif I've always admire guys like Tommy Emmanuel and Ted Greene, their ability to sound so full, yet have only one instrument is something baffling!

I have actually seen that clinic, more than once. I have his books Chord Chemistry and Jazz guitar single note soloing. I have learnt some tricks, actually learnt -still learning- how to sight write because of them. Although sometimes i can not help but to feel overwhelmed, you literally have pages of alternatives ways of fingering one chord!

I've actually did an arrangment on my own for Autumn Leaves. I am still a bit of hesitating to share it, mainly because I would be probably cruficied by Jazz Purists! haha mellow.gif

And second I am still trying to figure out, how to match video and audio, so i can start doing some Rec stuff.

Chon wise. Yes I have "stolen" some things from them. For instance:

I really like 1-5-7, 1-3-7, 1-5-m7, 1-m3-m7 instead of regular power chord.

x--------------
x--------------
x--------------
x-4--7--9----
x-2--5--10---
x-3--7--8----

Stuff like that. Even in a more "rock environment".

Another one I like to use is the 1 inversion of the 7th chords.
Example:
x-----
x-8--
x-9--
x-7--
x-----
x-8--

But that's pretty much it, nothing too impressive.

At the end of the day, I really enjoy rock music that mixes up jazzy elements, stuff like. As oppose to classic jazz, I kinda like the guitar driven on this tracks.

Sorry for the long wall of text.
I am going tackle around that chord/melody lesson you posted, let me just figure out how to record at least so that doesn't sound like farts.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 3 2016, 12:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 01:56 PM
Was messing around with Vegas and the clapping technique to synch things up. I think the audio might be off by a fraction of a sec though.
Anyways here is the take on Autumn Leaves i am arranging.

I will renovate the subscription to the site later on. So, tomorrow i will start to work out on the lesson. Most likely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2016, 02:01 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that's a beautiful post. smile.gif

I think that most of those bands and artists doesn't play jazz deeply, they have the basic concepts, they listen a lot of music, and keep on composing.

The best way to learn how to make music in that style is creating music. One idea. What about creating an instagram account and start composing and recording some 1 minutes ideas?

Your question is how to create guitar videos?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 02:10 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 3 2016, 01:01 PM) *
The best way to learn how to make music in that style is creating music. One idea. What about creating an instagram account and start composing and recording some 1 minutes ideas?

To be honest, i really like the idea, but. I am not the most confident of guys. But i will give it a thought.

About creating music, I am actually writting an EP atm. Have two tracks 70% done and one just with 3 main riffs.
I'v put it on idle atm, mainly because i want to get my chops a little bit tight. Both guitar and piano speaking.

I am actually using Guitar Rig 5 atm. The issue was that I had both audio and video files seperated and was having trouble having them both synch. I am still a green bean, but working in out.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 3 2016, 02:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2016, 03:33 PM
Instructor
I would go for the instagram idea. It's a good way to practice, promote yourself, and try your ideas out there. You can share small fragments of your songs in progress. You'll feel shy at first, then you won't care.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 4 2016, 05:49 PM
I'v started with theory of the lesson today and it would be great if you could help me out analyzing the chord progression of the Diego's Lesson.
I am going in blind, haven't read his notes.

I understand basic diatonic harmonization, but it's far from being my strong point.

So:

| C G/B |

| Am7(no5) Esus2/G# |

| Fsus2add13 | Ab7(b5) Abm6(5#) |

| C/G Ebsus2(b5)add13 | Dsus2/F# Fm7 |

| Cadd9/E Am | Dm7 G7/9# (5#) |

| C7M G/B | Am7 Esus2/G# |

| Fsus2add13 | Ab7 (b5) Abm6 (#5) |

| Csus4/G Adim/Eb | Dsus2/F# Fm7 |

| Em7(no5) Am7 | Dm7 G7sus2add13(no5) |

| C |

----
| I V |

| VI Esus2/G# |

| IV | II II? (Abm6(5#) |

| I VI | Dsus2/F# Fm7? |

| I VI | II V |

| I V | VI Esus2/G#? |

| IV | II II?(Abm6 (#5)) |

| I Adim/Eb | Dsus2/F# Fm7 |

| III VI | II V|

| I|

Esus2/G# => I know the E in C major progression is minor, but this one is Major. So i am guess Diego is going out C major. But i am not sure how to treat it.

Ab7(b5) Abm6(5#) => So I know that C major progression "has" no accidents so i assumed this guys are working as substitutions.
I am not sure if i am speaking the true, but you can harmonize every degree of the scale with a dominant expect the IV and you can apply a tritone substitution.
So.

C7 (=) Gb7b5
D7 (=) Ab7b5
E7 (=)Bb7b5
IV
G7(=)Db7b5
A7(=)Eb7b5
B7(=)Fb7b5

So i guessing both Ab7(b5) Abm6(5#) are working as substitution for some kind of D7, therefore working as II chord, i am not sure about the Abm6(5#) I just assumed because i saw it as a Ab chord.

Ebsus2(b5)add13 => same way i saw the Eb i thought it was some kind of substitution for a A7, i am not really sure thought because i didnt see a 7 on the Eb chord.

Dsus2/F# Fm7 => By best guess is that Diego is doing chromatic passages? But i don't really know how to treat it aswell.

Adim/Eb => Same boat as the previous stated

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 5 2016, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 5 2016, 06:41 PM
So I've started tackling the lesson this morning,
Here it is the first practise season of it.
Far from perfect! That little part of G7/9(#5) still gonna take a bit, i am really not used to that chord.

Sorry about the sound quality, i literally just click record with laptop webcam. Did 1000 takes and picked one.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 5 2016, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:37 PM