John Mayer Style Collab, FINAL MIX & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 14 2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, it's been a while so sorry for the delay and here are the comments of this very fine collab. smile.gif

SUMMARY:

Collab type: John Mayer Style, pop
Participants: 5
Total Length: 3m 07s

Comments:

1. Audiopaal:
Starting off with a beautiful picking, very atmospheric and goes along great with the track. Timing is great with these lines. All that in the same time with some harmonics really adds up to the vibe and putted just in right spots. In the second part you go into small solo/theme, simple but very melodic and thematic. I like the minimalistic approach on this one.
Regarding tone it is great, I really like that shimmering stereo effect you got using delay. Clean sound in general is nice as well, and in the second part the stereo is tempo synced. Cool touch.
Speaking of the structure of the take, you really did a cool job, by doing first part as more of a backing track style, and in the second part you go into that small solo. Sounds really relaxed and cool. Everything simple, and with a great timing, it turned out great.

2. TJCheep:

Nice raking bend with vibrato in the start, and followed by another vibrated note, everything very solid, a small pause, and keep using some nice phrasing elements, keeping the dynamics down, very nice. I like those melodic lines, and occasional prebended notes. THen in the second part first one nice long bend, and then going to a faster part, using a good bend, and some great blues licks, very nice and clean. After that a small pentatonic sequence downwards, again using good raking notes, vibratos, and finishing of nicely on the major key root.
SOund is very good TJ, as always you continue to use that recognizable preset, smooth, saturated, and warm. Good stuff, enables dynamics to be heard as well.
Structure of the solo is good, you tend to improvise a lot, using licks and sequences you have learned through practice. This is IMO the harder way to improve, because it takes time to really connect all the things in a natural way, but the good side of the whole thing is that it will start to sound very original as you progress. Good thing is that everything is clean, and full of emotion, spiced up with some fresh unorthodox sequences. More work is needed on the structure part, but I fear not, because it will definitely come in time, and with every recording you are improving. Good job man.

3. Kaznie:

Starting of with a nice bend, bluesy lick, then going up to high E and doing another nice bend. THen a small sequence downwards with a major scale pentatonic character, good timing there, and a couple of great bends that have very interesting timing. In the second part you go to a more of a minor vibe, and using a minimalistic approach with some bends, and bit bigger pause, and then a nice ending, using bends.
Sound is good and crunchy. It could be a bit fatter if you know what I mean, but I can definitely hear improvement in sound from previous collabs.
About the structure, I think you have a talent for melody and rhythm, just need to work on your theory a bit. From your playing I can hear that you are carefuly listening to the track and chord and rhythm changes, and really try to play according to that. This turned out pretty good, although in the end you made a bit bigger pause, but pause itself is not a mistake, it is always better to pause a bit than to do something you don't want to. Vibratos are good, a bit unprecise, and some more work on bends to make it even more tighter and faster will turn this solo to a pro sounding one. Continue to use your melody and rhythm ideas I like them, and in time it can only improve. I definitely feel how much you improved from some last collabs you did. Rock on mate.

4. Velvet Roger:

Intro is great and melodic, using some nice slide passages, and bends, then another passage similar to the first one, really adds to the great vibe, and your note sustain is excellent, I like the fact every note is just next to the other. After the second passage you even make a small prelude to the second part and going to the minor 6th of the key root, using some nce triplet hammeron/pulloffs before it. THen a nice sequence, and again some slides and melodic lines, another mini sequence, and great connecting with the outro line, with that bend that finishes of on the root. Very good.
Sound wise, everything is nice and smooth, the sound is a bit closed up, like strings are a bit older or something, or lacking a bit of presence. But that is just IMO, if you like the sound, no problem, it is very good and smooth.
Structure of the solo is very good, I like the fact you repeated two passages in your soloing. This really really adds to the quality, vibratos can be a bit wider, and that bend in the end can be a bit more effective and stronger, but all in all you really followed the melody, connected everything in a nice fluid way and it sounds great.

5. Toroso:

starting off with a bend, then a prebend, a dominant note, and a small line finishing of again with a bend and prebend, coming in nicely into the second part, on the minor chord. In there you're playing some nice lines, using bends, then a small pause, and again going up on the pentatonic scale, couple of lines more and finishing of nicely somewhere around the root.
SOund is good, clean is a bit on the thin side, but solid all in all, delay is a great touch, that really feel in a void, so a good choice for preset.
Regarding playing, it is a bit unusual but cool, in the first part we have some big pauses, but if you in that mood it is perfectly normal to play it like that. Those couple of notes can really mean a lot, when used nicely, and you did try to do that, so it is cool. I would say work a bit on your timing, it is not off, it's a bit unsctructured, almost like you searched the notes on the spot, with not enough knowledge where they are. This is normal of course, improvisation is a cool thing, and I always suggest in situations where you see you are not really sure where to exactly to go next, it is better to make a small pause, then play on note, then build on top of that ntoe and so on. If you played the whole part with that minimalistic vibe it would be ok as well. So a great effort, and continue to practice some scales, and runs in a steady tempo to improve your soling abilities, and make this solo even better. Good job.

6. My modest contribution to the collab:
I have played a solo that is basically the same as I did in my lesson on John Mayer recently, it is not the same, but very similar.

Thanks you all for participating guys, see you in the next collab! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Joh_Mayer_COllab_FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 3.7MB ) Number of downloads: 416

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 14 2008, 07:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great takes guys! smile.gif)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 14 2008, 08:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thnx Ivan! You always give nice comments, and you know to point out what I have to improve exactly!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 14 2008, 08:42 PM
Instructor
No problem mate, it was my pleasure to do this collab. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Oct 14 2008, 08:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nice takes all and thanks Ivan for the valuable comments, nice words and mixing smile.gif

I must say you caught me there with the 'old strings', they were indeed a bit too old when I recorded it....

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 14 2008, 08:51 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate fro nice words, yeah I suspected it was strings, no big deal tho. Cheers mate, and thanks again for participation in this collab smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 14 2008, 10:43 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks a lot for the comments Ivan smile.gif

Great collab, and great takes guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Oct 14 2008, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
Great takes everyone! These are fun to do! Thnaks for the comments Ivan, I will take them to heart.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 15 2008, 02:07 AM
Instructor
Thanks guys for kind words, as I said, always a pleasure to do the collabs smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:46 PM