2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Lefties Who Play Right Handed - Who Else?, Any notable guitarists?
midnight
Sep 9 2008, 10:13 PM
GMC:er
I'm right handed but play lefty. I could not get my left hand to work on the fretboard. I couldn't even really get my fingers down on 4 frets...chords were about impossible.

It sucks because I'm so limited in my selection of guitars.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 9 2008, 11:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm left handed and play right handed guitars ...

At the end both hands have to be in good shape ... one needs more work, but i think it doesn't matter if it's the fretting or picking hand. Piano player don't really have this choice and they manage it as well ... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 10 2008, 12:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is very interesting info you are posting guys, thanks!! I really wondered about this and didn't have a clue right handed players were doing the same thing too (reversing and doing the fretwork with primary hand) smile.gif
Now I'm really interested in benefits of such approach in playing...Strong and weak points...Better fretting hand coordination , dexterity , speed ? Harder to learn fast picking with the right hand ? Basically how it compares to the other way around approach ...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Sep 10 2008, 12:39 AM
Dan Swanö is left handed, but plays right handed guitars. Only, he plays them upside down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
Sep 10 2008, 01:38 AM
Wow, i went to sleep soon after i posted this expecting only a couple of replies but this has turned into a really interesting discussion!

Well i can't really talk about the "benefits" of playing right-handed as opposed to left-handed but i will say that initially i found strumming/picking to be where most of my errors were coming from and my fretting wasn't really something i had to be concerned about, it was pretty much always simple.

So i had to spend a bit of time doing strumming exercises to get that up to a good level.

Speed training i feel helped considerably in improving my right hand ability. All that time doing scale runs at increasing speeds definitely increased the fine control in that hand and as a consequence my playing improved also.

So i'd be tempted to say that there's no real disadvantage in playing the opposite way to your natural handedness, but perhaps initially you need to pay more attention to the strumming/picking hand and invest some time in technique exercises so as to prevent developing a sloppy style of play.

+Quote Post
midnight
Sep 10 2008, 03:14 AM
Yeah, One hand is going to need more work than the other no matter what, be it the picking or the fretting hand.

I'd say if you can play right handed, even if it takes more work, do it. It sucks being a lefty and having less to choose from, instrument wise.

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Sep 10 2008, 01:26 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 9 2008, 01:25 PM) *
I think that is pretty cool what you do. Jimi Hendrix was right handed but he played lefty guitars, so that is similar in a way.

I had no idea... thanks for sharing!

QUOTE (midnight @ Sep 9 2008, 04:13 PM) *
I'm right handed but play lefty. I could not get my left hand to work on the fretboard. I couldn't even really get my fingers down on 4 frets...chords were about impossible.

It sucks because I'm so limited in my selection of guitars.

Thanks for posting this! I haven't heard of many people from this perspective.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 10 2008, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Sep 9 2008, 04:18 PM) *
I am confused now, I though Hendrix played right handed guitars flipped because he was left handed. He was actually right handed?

No. Hendrix was left handed and played that way with flipped righty guitars.

I'm left handed, and play right handed, but want to play a left handed guitar flipped.

I think I'm confused now.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:10 PM