3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Lcsdds (monte Stevens)/ Jesse Mtp Thread, Hi Jesse!! Lets get going
Jesse
Jan 10 2009, 05:30 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the response^^ I know the pentatonic and the 4 diatonics and the triads, just waiting for my batteries to fill!

EDIT*Theire full!!!!!! Will be recording after I finished my dinner!
Synching might be off by like, 0.2 seconds, because I use windows movie maker.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 10 2009, 05:42 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 10 2009, 06:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 10 2009, 05:30 PM) *
Thanks for the response^^ I know the pentatonic and the 4 diatonics and the triads, just waiting for my batteries to fill!

EDIT*Theire full!!!!!! Will be recording after I finished my dinner!
Synching might be off by like, 0.2 seconds, because I use windows movie maker.

Awesome Jesse!! biggrin.gif I will upload GP file with the sliding pentatonics and sliding diatonics in the morning. I will also start giving you a couple simple 3 string sweeps using the triads going across the neck. Now you will be able to see how we use triads and scales in our playing.

Jesse can you tell me what major and minor triads can be built off of the notes of the A major scale?

A major is spelled A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#. Answer me back so I can see where your theory knowledge is.

I hope you are not too dissapointed that I am not going to be showing a bunch of lick, but like I said GMC is full of that. Since you have commited for a month to this MTP program I want you to have A BUNCH of tools in your tool bag at the end of the month to start making up your own licks and your own music. These scales and triads are gonna be what you need. Keep working and I will get you the GP file tomorrow.

Also Jesse for your practice sessions I would do this:

-Make one day your Diatonic and Major day. So on this day you will focus your hour on Diatonic scale shapes and Major triad shapes.

-Make the next day your Pentatonic and Minor day. On this day you will focus your efforts on the Pentatonic scale shapes and Minor triad shapes.

By doing this on alternating days you will be able to cover all this material thoroughly 3 times a week. By the end of the month if you are dedicated and consistent with the hour a day that you said you could practice this stuff these shapes will be pretty ingrained into your muscle memory and your brain. You will then just need to maintain the knowledge by using it. You will do this by making up your own riffs and licks. We will work on that too, I promise. Good job with everything Jesse. Seems like you have the desire and that is 99% of the battle. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 10 2009, 06:30 PM
lol, I had to redo about 20 times, because of me being stupiod, for not entering memory card, and my mother being funny ;X And now, its not picking up my signal.. holy mother of god, is this ever going to work!:D

This is really annoying...... reaper wont reckognize the signal from my pod anymore.

A major is spelled A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

major triad is 1-3-5 So

A-C#-E But for the B you could go B-D-F# And C#-E-G# and so on, right?

and for minor,
A-C-E, same as the majors, but the 3ths are Half step lower, b.

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 10 2009, 07:04 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Week__Scales_triads..wmv ( 12.56MB ) Number of downloads: 176

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 10 2009, 06:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 10 2009, 06:30 PM) *
lol, I had to redo about 20 times, because of me being stupiod, for not entering memory card, and my mother being funny ;X And now, its not picking up my signal.. holy mother of god, is this ever going to work!:D

This is really annoying...... reaper wont reckognize the signal from my pod anymore.

A major is spelled A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

major triad is 1-3-5 So

A-C#-E But for the B you could go B-D-F# And C#-E-G# and so on, right?

and for minor,
A-C-E, same as the majors, but the 3ths are Half step lower, b.

Awesome Jesse!! Sounds like you have alot of the theory down already. Now you just need the scale shapes and triads and you will be in excellent shape!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

So tell me, specifically in A major which major and minor triads are found. HINT: There are 3 major and 3 minor, the 7th one is a diminished. Answer me back. If you don't know I will enlighten you. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 10 2009, 07:06 PM
My take is up in the edit of the last post, check it!

The major scale consists of 7 notes.

So you have A triad for

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

Now to figure wich are major, and which aren't.

Major ones are A-D-E Not sure about the rest.

Enlighten me!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 10 2009, 07:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 10 2009, 07:38 PM
*BUMP*

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 10 2009, 09:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 10 2009, 07:06 PM) *
My take is up in the edit of the last post, check it!

The major scale consists of 7 notes.

So you have A triad for

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

Now to figure wich are major, and which aren't.

Major ones are A-D-E Not sure about the rest.

Enlighten me!

Good job with the theory so far. You are right on the Major triads!! So if you number the notes of the A major scale it would look like this:

I=A

ii=B

iii=C#

IV=D

V=E

vi=F#

vii=G#

In the major scale the I, IV and V TRIADS are ALWAYS major. The ii, iii and vi TRIADS are ALWAYS minor. Notice how I "capitalized" the 1, 4 and 5 and used lower case for the 2,3 and 6. Now when you see someone saying that they are playing a ii-IV-V progression in the key of A major you will know that the progression is Bmin-D-E.

So to answer my question, the minor triads are the ii,iii and vi or in the case of A major: Bmin, C#min and F#min. The seventh in a major scale is always a diminished triad. All your extended chords are just that, extensions of these basic triads. We will get into that later. Good job on the theory.

Just so you understand what I am saying I want you to answer me this. If I want to play a I-iii-IV-V progression in the key of A major, what is the progression?

I will take a look at your video now. Good job.

Monte

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jan 10 2009, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 10 2009, 09:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good job on the video Jesse. One little note technique wise that I want you to correct early on though. I noticed when you played the Diatonic shapes you started out with your thumb anchored on the back of the neck when you were on the low E string and then gradually started to wrap it around the neck when you got up to the treble strings. Keep your thumb anchored on the back of your neck the whole time. Don't wrap your thumb around for these excercises. This will be an important issue when you start playing those diatonic shapes at "Muris" speed. laugh.gif laugh.gif If you wrap your thumb around you won't have the reach you will need and it will make it harder to shift positions when we do long runs where we are connecting the various shapes. Trust me on this. For now KEEP YOUR THUMB ANCHORED ON THE BACK OF THE NECK. Good job with the triads as well. I noticed you struggled a little bit with changing the different shapes. Don't worry abou that. By the end of the week you will change effortlessly. Don't for get to play the triads ACROSS the neck as well. I didn't see you play the three shapes found on strings 1-3. Make sure you learn them this way. There are a lot of cool licks you can do by stringing these triads together acros the neck so make sure you learn them on the 4 different string sets. For this week you just need to worry about strings 1-3.

So with the exception of few details I mentioned above I would say you have accomplished this week what I wanted you to accomplish. Here are a couple of things that I want you to do every day between now and next Friday:

-5 min playing your diatonic/pentatonic shapes for the week as written in the tab.

-5 min playing your diatonic/pentatonic shapes all starting from A (5th fret on low E).

-5 minutes playing your major/minor triads in the box shapes.

-5 minutes playing your major/minor triads across the string sets. Strings 1-3 for this week.

Remember, I want you to make one day your Diatonic and Major triad day and the other day your Pentatonic and Minor triad day. So these excercises will only take you about 20-30 minutes. So for the other half an hour we will start working on technique. I will get you another GP file tomorrow and I am going to have "cycling" licks for four different techniques. One for tapping, one for sweeping, one for picking and one for legato. "Cycling" means I am desinging them so you can play them over and over without stopping. This is a great way to build your muscle memory. Your job for next week will be to learn the licks to the point that you have them memorized in your fingers muscle memory. Don't worry about using a metronome this coming week. Just memorize the licks. Starting in the second week I am going to show you how to methodically take those licks and start building speed and accuracy with them. So tomorrow you will be receiving 2 GP files. One with the technique licks and one with the sliding scale shapes I want you to start working on. Once we get these implemented you will basically have a one hour practice session that will cover all your scales, triads and technique to get you going. Then it will just be a matter of consistant practicing and adding licks in the style that you want to play to get your playing where you want it to go.

GOOD JOB ON LEARNING THE SCALE SHAPES AND TRIADS. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I promise you that at the end of the month you will not regret knowing this stuff. It will open up all sorts of doors in your playing.

Don't forget. DO NOT WRAP YOUR THUMB AROUND THE NECK WHEN PLAYING THE DIATONIC SHAPES!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Let me know if you have any questions. Keep working hard Jesse!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 10 2009, 10:17 PM
I made me a practice schedule for this week. Every thing on the list im going to practice daily for next friday. I will be adding the technique lessons.

Gonna hang this up in my room and start practicing it!

The jazz, and the songs are for my band , and for real life lessons.

What do you think?biggrin.gif Most structured form of practicing I've ever had.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 10 2009, 10:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 10 2009, 10:17 PM) *
I made me a practice schedule for this week. Every thing on the list im going to practice daily for next friday. I will be adding the technique lessons.

Gonna hang this up in my room and start practicing it!

The jazz, and the songs are for my band , and for real life lessons.

What do you think?biggrin.gif Most structured form of practicing I've ever had.

I'm digging it Jesse. When I say 5 min I really would like you to get a timer and set it for 5 minutes. When the timer goes off look at your schedule and move on to the next thing. This will help you really manage your time. You are a teenager right now so you have a lot of free time. I promise you that this will not always be the case. By using a timer you will be able to regiment and manage your time really well. When you are 38 and married with 3 kids your free time is at a minimum so you will need to get maximum efficiency with your practice. Using the timer will accomplish this. Right now you are kind of new to these shapes but once you have them down playing them for 5 minutes will seem like an eternity. That is when we will start throwing in some wrinkles rather than just playing them up and down the scale. I actually have my practice schedule posted on my wall as well. Get the timer my friend as it will be important for next weekend when we start to take the technique licks that I am going to have you learn this next week and work them up to "Muris" speed!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You are doing awesome Jesse!! You will be twice the guitarist you are now at the end of the month just by knowing all these shapes and how they work together.

KEEP WORKING HARD, DON'T WRAP THE THUMB, AND GET THE TIMER. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jan 11 2009, 04:07 AM

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 11 2009, 08:02 AM
Timer... Like an egg cooker timer thingy? Oh well, I'll just look at the clock! Can't wait for the new technique lesson/excercise! My fingers are itching!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 11 2009, 02:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 11 2009, 04:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 11 2009, 08:02 AM) *
Timer... Like an egg cooker timer thingy? Oh well, I'll just look at the clock! Can't wait for the new technique lesson/excercise! My fingers are itching!

Timer would be best but you can use the clock if you want. I like to set the timer and when it beeps I know it is time to move on. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

OK, I have 3 guitar pro files for you and this is what they consist of.

-SLIDING DIATONIC SCALES:
These are all played starting from A. That way you can hear the difference between A Ionian and A Phrygian etc. Notice I tabbed them with all legato and that you use slides to do the position changes, hence the name sliding diatonics. biggrin.gif Also when playing say the Ionian mode I want you to compare it to your Diatonic boxes and notice that the shape played on the Low E and A are the same as your Diatonic Ionian box shape. So when you play the A Phrygian sliding shape notice that the Low E and A have the same fingering form as the Low E and A in the C# Phrygian box shape. This is true off all the Sliding shapes when comparing them to the box shapes I gave you. Remember I said you would already know these shapes. For this week you are responsible to know the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian and Lydian boxes and Sliding Shapes.

-SLIDING PENTATONIC SCALES:
These have the Same relationship to the box shapes as the diatonics. I labeled them modally and I want you to learn them that way. I will go into why I labeled them that way later. For now just learn the shapes and see if you can figure out which sliding shapes and box shape go together. These are all played starting from A as well. You are responsible for the first two pentatonic box shapes and the Aeolian and Ionian sliding shapes this week.

TECHNIQUE TAB:
I have given you one lick to memorize in each of the follow techniques:
-TAPPING:
This is a pretty basic shape and I want you to note two things here. For the Ascending portion of this lick you are doing left hand hammer on's when changing strings. This will take some time to get used to but work at it and you will get it. I want you to tap with your middle finger, even if you normally do it with your index finger now. I also want you to ALWAYS HOLD THE PICK when you are practicing tapping, even if you are not going to use it. Later on we are going to learn how to do what I call "fretboard sweeping" while tapping and you will need your pick handy when doing this so I want you to hold your pick when practicing this shape even though you are not using it at this point. Trust me on this please.

-ALTERNATE/ECONOMY PICKING:
I picked this shape for your picking because it lends itself to economy picking as well as alternate picking. I have tabbed out the pick stroke directions for the economy picking part. The alternate picking is self explanatory. I would practice this shape alternate picking one day and economy picking the other day. If you don't know what economy picking is let me know and I will explain it to you.

-LEGATO:
This is pretty self explanatory. Let me know if you have any questions on this lick.

-SWEEP PICKING:
This is a simple repeating 3 string sweep shape using a suspended triad and a major triad. Pay close attention to the fingering and the pick stroke directions.

I want a video from you by sunday of next weekend demonstrating that you know all these shapes. For the technique all I want you to do is be able to play them and pay attentions to the note groupings. Next week we will start working with a metronome on these licks to start building your speed and accuracy.

Work hard and let me know if you have any questions.

Monte

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jesse_MTP_Technique.gp5 ( 3.27K ) Number of downloads: 118
Attached File  Sliding_Diatonics__Modal_.gp5 ( 4.67K ) Number of downloads: 119
Attached File  Sliding_pentatonics__modal_.gp5 ( 3.5K ) Number of downloads: 122

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 11 2009, 04:46 PM
Ok! By next sunday, ill be blazing out teh sweep, tapping and legato!!! WOW! THe sliding pentatonics have a bit countryish feel due to the slides, coolD: Sliding pentatonics lydian is missing, it goes phrygian--->mixolydian

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 11 2009, 04:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 11 2009, 05:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 11 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Ok! By next sunday, ill be blazing out teh sweep, tapping and legato!!! WOW! THe sliding pentatonics have a bit countryish feel due to the slides, coolD: Sliding pentatonics lydian is missing, it goes phrygian--->mixolydian

I was hoping you would notice the lydian was missing. biggrin.gif This is because when we compare a pentatonic scale to a diatonic scale there are only 5 notes in a pentatonic scale and 7 in a diatonic. The pentatonic has two less notes so when comparing the pentatonic to the diatonic the 4th and 7th are missing. Hence no lydian pentatonic shape AND no locrian shape. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Good job. I only discovered the sliding shapes a few months ago so I am working on them myself. biggrin.gif These are going to come in really handy so make sure you learn them!! Work hard Jesse!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 11 2009, 05:49 PM
Oh that's cool:D Gonna be tricky, tapping with middle finger WHILE holding pick. I normaly just keep te pick between my teeth:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 11 2009, 06:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Jesse,
I want to give you a couple more things to think about this next week and I also want to give you a little excercise to do.

When you think of the diatonic scale and its corresponding modes I want you to use the following thought process.

Diatonic scale>>7 notes>>7 Triads built off of each note=3 major (I-IV-V), 3 minor (ii-iii-vi), 1 diminished (vii)

Diatonic scale>>7 notes>>7 modes derived from each note=3 major sounding (I-IV-V), 3 minor sounding (ii-iii-vi), 1 diminished sounding (vii)

From now on I want you to think of the diatonic scale as 3 major, 3 minor and 1 diminished with respect to modes and triads found within each diatonic scale. I want you to think of the modes as either sounding major, minor or diminished.

IONIAN, LYDIAN AND MIXOLYDIAN= MAJOR SOUNDING

DORIAN, PHRYGIAN AND AEOLIAN= MINOR SOUNDING

LOCRIAN= DIMINISHED SOUNDING

Now I want you to do the following:

Open up a new guitar pro file and pull up the fretboard tool. Then click on the scales button and I want you to open the following scales and write down the names of the notes that each of them contain:

A major

B minor pentatonic

C# minor pentatonic

F# minor pentatonic

I want you to post back and copy and paste the names of the scales that I wrote above and underneath the names I want you to write the names of the notes found in the scale. After you do that I want you to look at them and tell me what the relationship is between the pentatonic scales and the diatonic/major scale.

Get to work biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 11 2009, 05:49 PM) *
Oh that's cool:D Gonna be tricky, tapping with middle finger WHILE holding pick. I normaly just keep te pick between my teeth:P

Make sure you hold the pick while practicing your tapping. If you want to see why go check out this lesson by Muris and notice how he "sweeps" the fretboard with his pick after tapping on the high E string. Can't do this with the pick between your teeth. laugh.gif laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...g-with-tapping/

Monte

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jan 11 2009, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 11 2009, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 11 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Jesse,
I want to give you a couple more things to think about this next week and I also want to give you a little excercise to do.

When you think of the diatonic scale and its corresponding modes I want you to use the following thought process.

Diatonic scale>>7 notes>>7 Triads built off of each note=3 major (I-IV-V), 3 minor (ii-iii-vi), 1 diminished (vii)

Diatonic scale>>7 notes>>7 modes derived from each note=3 major sounding (I-IV-V), 3 minor sounding (ii-iii-vi), 1 diminished sounding (vii)

From now on I want you to think of the diatonic scale as 3 major, 3 minor and 1 diminished with respect to modes and triads found within each diatonic scale. I want you to think of the modes as either sounding major, minor or diminished.

IONIAN, LYDIAN AND MIXOLYDIAN= MAJOR SOUNDING

DORIAN, PHRYGIAN AND AEOLIAN= MINOR SOUNDING

LOCRIAN= DIMINISHED SOUNDING

Now I want you to do the following:

Open up a new guitar pro file and pull up the fretboard tool. Then click on the scales button and I want you to open the following scales and write down the names of the notes that each of them contain:

A major

B minor pentatonic

C# minor pentatonic

F# minor pentatonic

I want you to post back and copy and paste the names of the scales that I wrote above and underneath the names I want you to write the names of the notes found in the scale. After you do that I want you to look at them and tell me what the relationship is between the pentatonic scales and the diatonic/major scale.

Get to work biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

Make sure you hold the pick while practicing your tapping. If you want to see why go check out this lesson by Muris and notice how he "sweeps" the fretboard with his pick after tapping on the high E string. Can't do this with the pick between your teeth. laugh.gif laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...g-with-tapping/

Monte

WOW! Muris is violating the guitar right there. That is some wack stuff man:D

A major
A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#
B minor pentatonic
B-D-E-F#-A
C# minor pentatonic
C#-E-F#-G#-B
F# minor pentatonic
F#-A-B-C#-E

That's it for those.

Got it biggrin.gif Major consists of 7 notes
Pentatonic consists of 5 notes

So, A Minor pentatonic would have A-C-D-E-G

Major ads a 2th, and a 6th, What you have then, the added sixth, and the normal third and 7th are raised a half set, sharp, #. Correct?

edited for language-skennington

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 11 2009, 06:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 11 2009, 06:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 11 2009, 06:12 PM) *

Muris "violates" the guitar EVERY TIME HE TOUCHES IT. laugh.gif laugh.gif If you still want to hold the pick between your teeth when tapping send me a video of you playing those licks while doing it and I'll let it slide. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Monte

QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 11 2009, 06:18 PM) *

A major
A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#
B minor pentatonic
B-D-E-F#-A
C# minor pentatonic
C#-E-F#-G#-B
F# minor pentatonic
F#-A-B-C#-E

That's it for those.

Got it biggrin.gif Major consists of 7 notes
Pentatonic consists of 5 notes

So, A Minor pentatonic would have A-C-D-E-G

Major ads a 2th, and a 6th, What you have then, the added sixth, and the normal third and 7th are raised a half set, sharp, #. Correct?

Good Job Jesse!! biggrin.gif Here is what I wanted you to notice by comparing the the pentatonic shapes with the diatonic shapes.

First of all notice that the MINOR pentatonic scales I had you look up just happen to be built off of the same notes as the MINOR SOUNDING MODES found in the A diatonic/major scale.

Also I want you to notice this:

-Every note found in C# minor pentatonic can also be found in A major/C# phrygian.

-Every note found in B minor pentatonic can also be found in A major/B dorian.

-Every note found in F# minor pentatonic can also be found in A major/F# aeolian.

So not only does the diatonic scale contain seven different modes but it also contains 3 different pentatonic scales all built of the minor degrees (ii-iii-vi) of the diatonic scales. Pretty cool eh!! biggrin.gif

So notice that B can be found in all four of those scales. So if you are soloing over a B power chord with no third to dictate if it is major of minor you now have 7 diatonic box shapes 15 different pentatonic box shapes and all of the corresponding sliding shapes to choose from when soloing.

For next Sunday I want a video of you playing every diatonic box shape and pentatonic box shape and slidinng diatonic and pentatonic shape found in A major!! JUST KIDDING laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good job Jesse!! Hope all of this stuff is starting to make sense and you are seeing why I am not going to be teaching you a bunch of licks this month but rather we are going to be adding to your toolbox!! Keep working.

Monte

Edited for language-skennington

Jesse,
Just so I know you are understanding what we have been going over I want you to answer me the follow questions:

1)Name the Major triads found in C major?

2)Name the Minor triads found in C major?

3)Name the diminished triad found in C major?

4)Name the Major sounding modes and their corresponding roots found in C major?

5)Name the Minor sounding modes and their corresponding roots found in C major?

6)Name the Diminished sound mode and its root found in C major?

7)Which pentatonic minor scales can be found in C major?

Post back by copying and pasting with your answers underneath. I want to make sure you understand this before we progress anymore. biggrin.gif

Monte

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 11 2009, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 12 2009, 08:21 AM
C-F-G
Dmin -Emin-Amin
Bdim
Ionian -Lydian, Myxolidian C-F-G
Dorian - Phrygian, aeolian Dmin -Emin- Amin
Locrian Bdim
The c minor pentatonic isC-Eb-F-G-Bb and A minor pentatonic which has the same tones as C maj but with a root on A. So, A-C-D-E-G

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 12 2009, 08:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 12 2009, 11:53 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 12 2009, 08:21 AM) *
C-F-G
Dmin -Emin-Amin
Bdim
Ionian -Lydian, Myxolidian C-F-G
Dorian - Phrygian, aeolian Dmin -Emin- Amin
Locrian Bdim
The c minor pentatonic isC-Eb-F-G-Bb and A minor pentatonic which has the same tones as C maj but with a root on A. So, A-C-D-E-G

Good job Jesse!! You got them all right except the last one, all though you got it partially right. Remember every diatonice scale has 3 Minor sounding modes and 3 major sounding modes. So every diatonic scale also contains 3 minor pentatonic scales and 3 Major pentatonic scales. So think of it this way in the case of C major:

C Major contains the followin scales:

C Ionian and C major pentatonic.

D Dorian and D minor pentatonic

E Phrygian and E minor pentatonic

F Lydian and F major pentatonic

G Mixolydian and G major pentatonic

A Aeolian and A minor pentatonic

B Locrian

That is enough theory for awhile but you are doing really well. biggrin.gif Your assignment for the rest of the week is going to be to keep practicing the scale shapes that you are responsible for and keep practicing your triads. Also, which week 2 lesson from the syllabus do you want to tackle and I'll start taking a look at it? Remember that as far as the licks for technique go you don't need to worry about a metronome right now. Just memorize them and count the different groupings in your head so you know how the groupings go. Next week we will start with the metronome on these licks. If I could get a video from you sometime between Wed and Fri of you quickly running through the scale shapes, both the boxes and the sliding shapes, and also the triads and just play through the technique licks slowly that would be great. Let me know if you have and questions. Good Job Jesse and keep working hard!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:20 AM