2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Benefits/disadvantages Of Sleep
DeepRoots
Nov 16 2007, 07:58 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey guys,

i'm quite into my hypnosis cds and happened to stumble across Dick Sutphen's work

Here are some of his courses...

If you scroll down to "Get By On 4 Hours Sleep"
* You sleep four hours and awaken with your body fully restored. * You totally regenerate and recharge your mental and physical body during four hours sleep. * After four hours, you awaken feeling fully awake, refreshed and full of energy. * You awaken feeling glad to be alive and inspired to begin a new day. * After four hours sleep, you feel as if you've slept all night. * You require only four hours sleep for total renewal. * You experience an inexhaustible supply of energy. * Upon lying down, you immediately drift off into relaxing sleep.

<i'd like to point out that i've tried two of his other courses that seem to be working well>

Once i saw this i quickly decided that if it worked- i would get a full time night job while im still at school- that way i can afford things like- i dunno- guitars!

Here is a discussion on famous 4 hour sleepers

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=2201

However.....

Theres alot of research that says that we should be kipping around 7 hours a day..
You can read some info on this wikilink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

So.....Has anybody tried going for this amount of sleep? I'm intrigued as to whether i could function properly off 4 hours, if i could; then i would be "wasting" less and less time each day. Maybe that psychological element of sleep deprivation can be cured/helped by hypnosis to an extent that the biological effects are also cured?

I'd love to hear your opinions on sleep guys smile.gif

<Imagine the extra cash and amount of extra guitar time....>

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 16 2007, 08:03 AM
GMC:er
Is it really that good for your health to sleep that little? I'm gonna continue my 8 hour minimum smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 16 2007, 08:08 AM
On average, I usually only get around 5 hours of sleep a night...except for weekends when I sleep in wink.gif
I would never get anything done during the week if I slept more. I wake up for work at 7am, and because of my commute, I don't usually get home until around 7:30. By the time I have dinner, see the kids off to bed, and maybe have a chat with the wife, it's already after 10; I also have my own business on the side, developing software and running 3 websites - so that is usually at least a couple of hours of more work. So now it's midnight...I guess I could get to sleep now, but I would rather:
A. Play my guitar or...
B. Watch South Park or...
C. Play video/computer games or...
D. All the above laugh.gif

Next thing I know, it's 2am; Oh s**t! I'd better get to bed!

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 16 2007, 08:08 AM
If I dont get 10 I'm absolutely dead about an hour after I wake up. I need a lot of sleep.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 16 2007, 08:13 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 16 2007, 07:08 AM) *
On average, I usually only get around 5 hours of sleep a night...except for weekends when I sleep in wink.gif

Next thing I know, it's 2am; Oh s**t! I'd better get to bed!

Do you feel you perform well during the day on 5 hours? Im usually at 8 and getting up in the morning is a nightmare, so do you feel you have to beet yourself out of bed or are you well rested?

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Nov 16 2007, 08:13 AM
hey yeah i like sleep... 8 hours every night and 9 on weekends...

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 16 2007, 08:19 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 15 2007, 11:13 PM) *
Do you feel you perform well during the day on 5 hours? Im usually at 8 and getting up in the morning is a nightmare, so do you feel you have to beet yourself out of bed or are you well rested?

To be honest, I usually feel better the days I don't get as much sleep... it's hard getting out of bed, but once I'm up I feel pretty good. Sometimes when I sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday and get 8-10 hrs of sleep, I will feel like crap all day.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 16 2007, 08:19 AM
4 hours? you're kidding me right? biggrin.gif Well, everytime i wake up to go to school, i dont feel like starting a new day, if i had to wake up later... then ill reconsider.. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 16 2007, 08:28 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 16 2007, 07:19 AM) *
To be honest, I usually feel better the days I don't get as much sleep... it's hard getting out of bed, but once I'm up I feel pretty good. Sometimes when I sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday and get 8-10 hrs of sleep, I will feel like crap all day.

Thats good to know that its physically possible! biggrin.gif

I'll order the hypnosis tape, listen 2-3 times a day and see how i go for a week before getting that night shift...

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 16 2007, 07:19 AM) *
4 hours? you're kidding me right? biggrin.gif Well, everytime i wake up to go to school, i dont feel like starting a new day, if i had to wake up later... then ill reconsider.. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Yeh school can suck most days laugh.gif

I'm running out of options to stop being lazy, hypnosis seems the best/only thing left!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 16 2007, 08:29 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Its also a documented fact that teenagers need waaaay more sleep than adults and younger children - so this is probably affected by age to some extent as well.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 16 2007, 08:32 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 16 2007, 07:29 AM) *
Its also a documented fact that teenagers need waaaay more sleep than adults and younger children - so this is probably affected by age to some extent as well.

Dammit, i'm only 17 still.

Maybe i can get a hynosis tape for "you are 40 years old..."

Just repeats over and over
you are 40 years old..
you are 40 years old..
you are 40 years old..
you are 40 years old..
....... dry.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 16 2007, 08:37 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 16 2007, 08:29 AM) *

That is very true! biggrin.gif

I used to sleep for aaages. Dinner for breakfast pretty much everyday. I think I'm past that stage now tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 16 2007, 08:38 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Isn't it supposed to be more to do with how much deep sleep and REM dream time you get rather then total time shut eye? What I find is I really suffer if I get woken from heavy deep sleep much more then light sleep.

For the last 20 or so years I've averaged between 4-7 hours per night - less as I get older. When I was much younger it was more like 10-12. Last two years I sleep about 4 hours per night partly due to health, partly as I tend to be a night time person but also a light sleeper. I go to bed late but my daughter (and our cats) wake me early rolleyes.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 16 2007, 08:42 AM
Read the article I submitted on the neurological processes associated with learning music.

I will summarize.

1) Sleep is the cement that solidifies this type of learning. This is why you reach a point where further practice in a day is marginally, you need sleep to again make substantial progress.

2) The learning process that goes on in sleep is most significant at the end of your sleep cycle, stage 2 non-rem sleep. Typically the last 2 hours. It is best to have unbroken sleep to maximize this.

These kinds of things to me are pretty suspicious, just somebody selling something, making money. And I am pretty skeptical. Put it this way, the human race has had thousands of years for someone to come up with a method for people to need only half the sleep, does it really seem reasonable to you that this guy has somehow magically come up with this secret that has eluded mankind since the beginning of civilization?

edit: took out quote from Andrew, my comments were not specific to that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 16 2007, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 16 2007, 08:46 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 15 2007, 11:29 PM) *

That makes sense...I used to sleep around 10 or 12 hours every night when I was younger...also I don't drink nearly as much as I used to; that makes it much easier to get up in the morning laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ActiveX: Nov 16 2007, 08:47 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 16 2007, 08:57 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 16 2007, 01:46 AM) *
That makes sense...I used to sleep around 10 or 12 hours every night when I was younger...also I don't drink nearly as much as I used to; that makes it much easier to get up in the morning laugh.gif

not me, I still go 8 to 10. But I do get rigorous exercise, over the long term I have at least 5 days a week on average. Earlier this year I went 40 days in a row. And I always go for brisk walks with my dog. Basically I try to do the rigorous exercises most days, and the rule I try to follow is never ever more than 2 days break. And preferably not more than 1. And you feel a lot better. And I just about assure you, you will sleep better. Sleep is healthy in my view, good solid sleep cycles.

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 16 2007, 09:11 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 15 2007, 11:57 PM) *
Basically I try to do the rigorous exercises most days, and the rule I try to follow is never ever more than 2 days break. And preferably not more than 1. And you feel a lot better. And I just about assure you, you will sleep better. Sleep is healthy in my view, good solid sleep cycles.

I usually work out 3 or 4 days a week (weight-training), and I know that I feel much better when I do. Thankfully, the building I work in has a small fitness club for employees so I can work out during my lunch break...or else that is something else I'd have to try to fit into my crazy schedule. And again, it's not that I only want 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night...but that's literally all I have time for.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 16 2007, 09:23 AM
Well i have wierd sleep patterns. I just rescently recovered from Mono ( i wonder how i got that 1 wink.gif ) and i was tired ALL the time, no matter how long i slept i would awake and go back to sleep. I had to call all my proffs and explain why i would not be too class. I would spend almost literally weeks sleeping. Now that im better and have morning classes again sleeping my regular 10-6 is making me feel draggy!. I wish i had a 4 hour sleep solution. Instead i find myself heading for bed at 9:30 or 10 sleeping for 8 hours and then waking up exhausted. By the middle of the day im fine again but its a continous cycle of tired.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 16 2007, 05:19 PM
Lets go fishing!
I need a good 9 hours or im very very grumpy ! mad.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 16 2007, 05:44 PM
I probably have the worst sleeping habit here. During my break, I usually sleep around 7 a.m. and sleep for 9-10 hrs and wake up around 3-4 in the afternoon. It sucks when I have a class in Tuesday and Thursday because I go to school w/o sleeping at all so when I get home I sleep for 6 hrs from 3:30 till like 7 or 8 at night.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:38 AM