Misleading Number Of People Practising
Headbanger
Mar 9 2013, 05:06 PM
GMC:er
Every time I go to a lesson...just to listen to it....I find myself listed amongst the ranks of other people apparently 'practising this lesson'....
even if I'm not practising it.....
Does everyone get listed just for listening to it? It seems a bit misleading to me. I wonder if anyone else thinks the same..Does my name disappear after a while I am wondering...but obviously I can't go back and check or I'll join the list again...EVEN if I'm not practising it.
Can someone throw some light on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2013, 05:30 PM
Learning Roadie
I thought it showed if you'd added it to your bookmarks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 9 2013, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 9 2013, 05:30 PM) *
I thought it showed if you'd added it to your bookmarks

That may be the case for other people that I see...but it always shows me (probably any member) at the top of the list ...even when I haven't added the lesson to my bookmarks...Maybe I should log out to see If My name disappears..

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Mar 9 2013, 05:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
I agree that it is misleading.

As far as I understand, you get your name there as soon as you view the lesson while logged in and it goes away after some time of not viewing it while logged in.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 9 2013, 05:52 PM
I just logged out and my username remains on stuff I'm not practising..Hungry...maybe what you said is correct. I think I personally would only like my name to be showing on lessons that I AM actually practising on....I would also Like to know who is REALLY also practising the same lessons...especially if you want to discuss something with other members practising the same thing...the last thing you would want is to ask someone who isn't practising the same.

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Mar 9 2013, 06:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
I agree with you again, Hb. The information as it is now is pretty useless, to be honest. It would be cool if we somehow could mark ourselves as practicing the lesson, in order to get "sub-communities". Maybe be able to start threads which are easily accessible from the lesson page, or somehow communicate with other members about a particular lesson in direct connection to the lesson page.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 9 2013, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Mar 9 2013, 06:34 PM) *
I agree with you again, Hb. The information as it is now is pretty useless, to be honest. It would be cool if we somehow could mark ourselves as practicing the lesson, in order to get "sub-communities". Maybe be able to start threads which are easily accessible from the lesson page, or somehow communicate with other members about a particular lesson in direct connection to the lesson page.

I like your idea of maybe a button to press to say your actually practising it...or at least if it was because its on your bookmark list like posterboy thought it was.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 9 2013, 09:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have noticed this phenomena as well, aparently I am practicing many lessons, blink.gif It must be misleading to the instructors as well.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 9 2013, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 9 2013, 10:07 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks for the feedback -

It is correct that the "members practicing this lesson" feature just displays the last lesson you visited.

Let's say you have just checked out the most recent lesson on the frontpage to see what it's about. You decide it's not your cup of tea, you leave the computer, and then you don't return to GMC for a couple of days.

During this period anyone scanning the "members practicing this lesson" might think you are practicing this specific lesson - whereas you are in fact doing something completely different. I agree that this could be seen as negative.

However I also see advantages with the current system. Although ideally there would be a more sophisticated back end system defining when a lesson is being practiced by a member.

I'd be interested in hearing what more people think about this though. We have had this system for a long time - and although I have never seen it as perfect I have always considered it useful.

On a sidenote I want to give you a status update regarding GMC development: we are rebuilding the back end of the entire website to allow for faster development (and improvement of these kind of features). The current estimation is to have this work finished this summer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wollace03
Mar 10 2013, 10:34 AM
It would definitely be a great idea to have some reference to who is really practicing what lesson (the bookmark idea seems good) cause I really would like to see, that I am no the only one who tries to learn a certain lesson...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:56 PM