Play And Rest Collaboration, In class type collaboration #5
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Hi GMC!

Today we are continuing with another in class type collaboration. This time we are focusing on one very important thing when soloing - resting. Just like when we speak, we need to take brakes and pauses so our ideas can get across better and so that listener can absorb all the information we say. The same concept applies to music except Guitar players unlike brass or woodwind players tend to always overplay things smile.gif The reason for this is simply because we don't blow into an instrument but rather play with our hands which means we can breath 24/7 at our own pace and shred while they need to stop playing in order to catch some air !
Play rest collaboration will teach you how to create logical phrases, learn where to start and stop your soloing and finally get your ideas more across to the audience.

Backing track is at 135bpm. I choose G minor as main key center (G natural minor or Aeolian mode if you will).

Chord progression is following :

// G min add9/ G min add9/ Eb maj add9/Eb maj add9/
/G min add9/ G min add9/ Eb maj add9/Eb maj add9/
/ C min / C min / F / F D /
/ G min add9/ G min add9/ Eb maj add9/Eb maj add9/
/ G min add9/ G min add9/ Eb maj add9/D //

Wherever you see D chord, you should use G harmonic minor scale 5th mode - D phrygian dominant. I also encourage you to use arpeggios or play chord tones. Most important thing is to make music with this concept so it might be very challenging and new to some of you. I hope we will be able to go trough this one very well, as it will set up very strong foundation for improvising and all the concepts you later want to apply.

What do I look for ?

I want you to have very specific play rest approach and pattern in this one.
That means that you can do any of the following ways :

1) Play ONE, Rest ONE. This means play first bar something melodic then rest one and don't play anything. Ideally when you get to next bar that you need to play, you should connect your ideas, make it sound like it was meant to be played that way!
2) Play TWO , Rest TWO. This means play first two bars, rest 3rd and 4th, play 5th and 6th , rest 7th and 8th etc. This gives you a lot more time to develop your melody, but it also makes you think for two bars what you will play next!

These two play rest approaches are most common. I would like to see you use in your solo one or the other. When you submit your take and you can do that, I encourage you to mix them up and create variation of both!
There is couple of other more advanced approaches where you :

- Play ONE Rest TWO bars.
- Play TWO Rest One bar.

You can practice these on your own and we can talk later what this actually does to your playing.

This collaboration will have limit of 15 participants !

I have decided to limit all future collaborations so that people who apply and record their take (on time) don't have to wait extra 10 days or so of extensions for other guys to submit theirs. This will also allows us to follow progress more closely and work together like in the real class environment.

Deadline for this collaboration is 15 days from today which is 24th of July.

Upload your take HERE

Scroll down to download backing track and my take.

Participants :

1) Velvet Roger (auto sign up) - Recorded
2) Caelumamittendum - Recorded
3) enforcer (auto sign up) - Recorded
4) skennington - Recorded
5) Outlaw2112 (auto sign up) - Recorded
6) Jesse (auto sign up)
7) berko (auto sign up) - Recorded
8) Oxac - Recorded
9) JamesT (auto sign up) - Recorded
10) coffeeman (auto sign up)
11) sted
12) superize - Recorded
13) FilipofCroatia
14) Canis
15) Pedja Simovic - Recorded

Additional sign ups:
1) Dexxter - Recorded
2) Matt23 - Recorded
3) TheKeplerConjecture - Recorded
4) Paiva

My solo on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wdYMRCanLE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Jul 25 2009, 09:24 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 285
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration_Pedjas_take.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 190
Attached File  Play_rest_collaboration_solo.gp5 ( 5.48K ) Number of downloads: 136

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
sted
Jul 9 2009, 09:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
what the hell!I'm in!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 09:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Jul 9 2009, 10:24 PM) *
what the hell!I'm in!

In ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 9 2009, 09:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'll see what I can do wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 09:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 9 2009, 10:33 PM) *
I'll see what I can do wink.gif

smile.gif
If you won't be able to make it let me know, I will take you off from auto sign up. That way somebody else can use your spot. This goes for everybody on auto sign up list smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 9 2009, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have thought it through and i am in

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 09:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 9 2009, 10:37 PM) *
I have thought it through and i am in

Awesome Isac. Look forward to your take man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jul 9 2009, 09:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great idea Pedja !! Will be an interesting collab and i like the chord progression as well smile.gif

Just a detail question. Do you mean with rest not even a long note which rings out? I mean, i play something for one bar and arrive on a long note on the 2nd bar .. is this allowed or do you want complete silence ? .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 09:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Jul 9 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Great idea Pedja !! Will be an interesting collab and i like the chord progression as well smile.gif

Just a detail question. Do you mean with rest not even a long note which rings out? I mean, i play something for one bar and arrive on a long note on the 2nd bar .. is this allowed or do you want complete silence ? .. smile.gif

Awesome Andy, glad you like the chord progression.

As far as playing into 2nd or 3rd bar goes - please don't do it ! smile.gif
Seriously, if you choose play one rest one it will limit you a lot and you have to phrase things differently. I can encourage some Displacement here and there, like starting on up beat of 4 on bar 2 leading into bar 3 (if you do play one rest one that is). Hope that makes sense smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FilipofCroatia
Jul 9 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Go on then - im in

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 9 2009, 10:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FilipofCroatia @ Jul 9 2009, 11:20 PM) *
Go on then - im in

Nice to have you in this one Filip smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 9 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm in!

Hope I made it in time ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jul 9 2009, 10:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 9 2009, 10:56 PM) *
Awesome Andy, glad you like the chord progression.

As far as playing into 2nd or 3rd bar goes - please don't do it ! smile.gif
Seriously, if you choose play one rest one it will limit you a lot and you have to phrase things differently. I can encourage some Displacement here and there, like starting on up beat of 4 on bar 2 leading into bar 3 (if you do play one rest one that is). Hope that makes sense smile.gif

Makes sense ... thanks smile.gif
Will be fun .. one bar seems to be short to play something, but really long for a break and still keep it overall connected smile.gif. Great concept !!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 9 2009, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
I'll make sure to record something smile.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2009, 11:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Remember to sign me up smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 10 2009, 01:19 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
What the heck Pedja, I'll have a go at it. smile.gif Never tried to look at it from this point so should be good for me.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 10 2009, 01:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 9 2009, 08:19 PM) *
What the heck Pedja, I'll have a go at it. smile.gif Never tried to look at it from this point so should be good for me.

Cheers Steve. I'm glad you hoped in this. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jul 10 2009, 01:55 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I'm in! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 10 2009, 02:35 AM
Instructor
Canis, Oxac, Ben and Steve - you are all in guys smile.gif
I am hoping everybody will record something from this whole group and then we can later talk in depth if you have any questions !

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 10 2009, 02:37 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Pedja, are you going to open an upload thread? Or should we upload here?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:08 AM