Just Got My New Pocket Pod!, Edge of Time and Gilmour Collab
exorcyze
Dec 2 2007, 12:07 AM
GMC:er
Just got my new Pocket Pod from the t-shirt competition up and running! Many many thanks to Andrew, Kris, and everyone who voted and participated.

I'm still not very used to it, but I plugged it in, figured out a couple things and had to record a couple quickies to throw up. I definately have a lot more tonal possibilities now, not restricted to just "hrm. how much gain for this track?" heh.

Anyway, here's my take on the Gilmour collaboration re-recorded using the pocket pod - my original with just an uber metal pedal is in the collab thread:
Attached File  david_gilmour_collab_exorcyze_using_pod.mp3 ( 852.24K ) Number of downloads: 692

And here is a new one, titled "edge of time":
Attached File  edge_of_time.mp3 ( 621.22K ) Number of downloads: 645

My playing isn't the cleanest on these, so I know there's some technical deficiencies. Also, we're getting blanketed with snow, so I'll blame it on that too - my fingers are cold!!! Excuses aside, you're still free to critique me if you'd like! =D

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 2 2007, 12:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Merry christmas! Good sound that that small box it seems smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 2 2007, 12:26 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Wow, sounds cool - glad you are enjoying it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2007, 12:29 AM
GMC Founder
laugh.gif laugh.gif Sounds great Exorcyze!! I am glad the minipod arrived safely - it sure sounds great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 2 2007, 12:40 AM
Sadly Owen has to wait another week or two blink.gif

Owen, I have the minipod here, and I'll mail it to you shortly I promise!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 2 2007, 01:00 AM
smile.gif

It's cool, I understand the problem of getting it across the atlantic cool.gif wink.gif

Glad your enjoying it exorcyze smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Dec 2 2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks all. On the "Edge of Time" one - any feedback on it? I didn't do any mastering or serious EQ work at all ( just shelving high/low and a mids scoop on bass to have it sit back some ). I was trying to get a good starting sound that mixes and sits well together, and I think it turned out much better than my previous attempts before this.

Aside from the drums, there's the bass ( going through the pod too, heh ), a rhythm guitar that I doubled to pan full each way and a slight spatial chorus delay on one of the channels to give it some breathing, and then the lead in the middle. Aside from the EQ on bass and those items, I only adjusted levels.

Any ideas on things that don't sound quite right or that I could do better for the mixing? =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
lefty01
Dec 2 2007, 01:22 AM
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Dec 1 2007, 07:09 PM) *
Thanks all. On the "Edge of Time" one - any feedback on it? I didn't do any mastering or serious EQ work at all ( just shelving high/low and a mids scoop on bass to have it sit back some ). I was trying to get a good starting sound that mixes and sits well together, and I think it turned out much better than my previous attempts before this.

Aside from the drums, there's the bass ( going through the pod too, heh ), a rhythm guitar that I doubled to pan full each way and a slight spatial chorus delay on one of the channels to give it some breathing, and then the lead in the middle. Aside from the EQ on bass and those items, I only adjusted levels.

Any ideas on things that don't sound quite right or that I could do better for the mixing? =)

Sounds good to me. Congrats on your new POD.
What are you using for your drum tracks?

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Dec 2 2007, 01:57 AM
Addictive drums demo, heh. I was using Acoustica Beatcraft, but this sounds better to me. Can't afford it right now though, so I have the demo and a stripped down kit! =D

--------------------

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Dec 2 2007, 09:49 AM
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Dec 2 2007, 01:57 AM) *
Addictive drums demo, heh. I was using Acoustica Beatcraft, but this sounds better to me. Can't afford it right now though, so I have the demo and a stripped down kit! =D

Sounds great, Exorcyze! smile.gif
And congratulations on your new toy!!!
Have loads of fun!
Cheers, Eddie

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 2 2007, 03:14 PM
Like your track by the way - some great ideas.

In mixing terms I think it needs a little work - heres some things I would pay attention to:

The track doesn't drive because the drums and bass are mixed a little low, it is all rhythm and lead. Try mixing first just bass and drums until you get something that really pushes along.

Next, add in the rhythm low enough to complement the drums and bass but not drown it.

When you are happy with that, add the lead so that it sits above the backing slightly louder.
Because the rhythm was as loud as the lead, I thought they got in each others way and I couldn't really tell which was which. If you keep the rhythm down a little I think that would help it.

BTW, that Pod has really improved your tone!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Dec 2 2007, 08:18 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback Andrew! I think the Pod has given my tone a much needed makeover - I had never focused much on trying to get a good recording sound before and this improves things a lot.

I'll try those changes in levels you suggested and post it up! =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 11 2007, 08:34 PM
Instructor
Nice playing exorcyze, the Pocket Pod is great for recording like this! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 15 2007, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Nice takes,congrats on Pod once more,it surely sounds great!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Dec 15 2007, 10:17 AM
Acoustic Instructor
Congrats man. smile.gif
Very clean sound.It's very good for recording.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:11 AM