3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Scalloped Frets, how are they?
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 11:52 AM
GMC:er
ive never placed my hands on a guitar with scalloped frets and i was just wonder of others people's personal experiences with them. how do they feel? do they make playing easier? notes sound more clear? better for shredding? whats their purpose?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Random Person : "got a myspace page?"

Me : "hahaha who doesn't? the url is

http://www.myspace.com/maidenmayhem

hahah"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 18 2007, 12:58 PM
Instructor
Hey Khaos Keith,

I use scalloped fretboard on most of my guitars smile.gif

The purpose is to get a better grip of the strings, which is good for vibrato because there will be no resistance from the neck/wood (since you won't touch it much).

It hasn't directly got anything to do with playing fast. However, you'll have to learn how to press down the string very gently (if you press it too hard it will just go out of tune). So you will basically learn how to be more relaxed - which will make it easier to play fast.

... but it's definitely not easier to play, until you're very comfortable with it! smile.gif

-Marcus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 18 2007, 01:02 PM
GMC Founder
Marcus - let's say I am more comfortable with playing legato fast than picking. Wouldn't the scalloped fretboard give the legato runs more tone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 01:10 PM
that would make sense to me too... the idea behind scalloped frets really seem like once you got used to them they would be extreamly better in the long run. ive read tho that scalloped frets lower on the fretboard makes it extremely hard to play cords. im assuming this means full cords not power cords. so i was thinking or scalloping out one of my lower end guitars (that im ok with messing up haha) but from what frets should i do it? i was thinking maybe like from fret 12-24 maybe. like start the new octave with scalloped frets. this way i still have the lower octave for cords, i dont think i ever play cords higher then the 12 fret haha.

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 18 2007, 01:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 18 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Marcus - let's say I am more comfortable with playing legato fast than picking. Wouldn't the scalloped fretboard give the legato runs more tone?

Kris,
In my experience: -Yes, absolutely! smile.gif

Since there's so little resistance, you will get much "stronger" or "powerful" (can't find the right word, sorry smile.gif ) pull-offs, which will create a better tone in my opinion. But of course, the tone is a matter of taste. Some people may like it, and some don't.

Speaking about the tone... again, since you won't touch the fretboard, you'll lose some of the tone from the wood. Meaning you'll get a bit "bottomless" or "thinner" sound. But I've found that much of that loss can be compensated in the amp. smile.gif

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 18 2007, 01:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Khaos Keith @ Dec 18 2007, 01:10 PM) *
the idea behind scalloped frets really seem like once you got used to them they would be extreamly better in the long run.

I couldn't agree more!! biggrin.gif

ive read tho that scalloped frets lower on the fretboard makes it extremely hard to play cords. im assuming this means full cords not power cords.

I also assume they're talking about full chords. But I don't agree with them. Again, this has to do with how hard you press down the strings. Those guys who said that apparently didn't know how to play a scalloped fingerboard - and simply pressed the strings to hard. This is a pure matter of practice! smile.gif

so i was thinking or scalloping out one of my lower end guitars (that im ok with messing up haha) but from what frets should i do it? i was thinking maybe like from fret 12-24 maybe.

To scallop fret 12-24 sound like a great idea! smile.gif Then if you like it, you can just do the other 12 frets as well biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 18 2007, 01:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lavendell @ Dec 18 2007, 01:21 PM) *
Kris,
In my experience: -Yes, absolutely! smile.gif

Since there's so little resistance, you will get much "stronger" or "powerful" (can't find the right word, sorry smile.gif ) pull-offs, which will create a better tone in my opinion. But of course, the tone is a matter of taste. Some people may like it, and some don't.

Speaking about the tone... again, since you won't touch the fretboard, you'll lose some of the tone from the wood. Meaning you'll get a bit "bottomless" or "thinner" sound. But I've found that much of that loss can be compensated in the amp. smile.gif

-Marcus

Aha I suspected this - also I think this is the reason why people believe scalloping improves speed. And I guess that in a way it does improve the sound of the speed runs, if you have decent legato technique (but of course not the actual speed).

Thanks a lot for the insight advice Marcus - I know you have lots of experience in building these guitars! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 18 2007, 01:40 PM
Learning Roadie
is it hard to scallop a fretboard or does it need to be done proffessionally?

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 01:41 PM
well i think tomorrow or the next day i will scallop one of my guitar... ill post before and after pics of my work smile.gif

tho this will be my first time doing so, we will see how it tunes out haha.

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 18 2007, 01:51 PM
Interesting. I personally would never dare to attempt to scallop a fretboard myself, because I know I'd probably make a pig's ear of it!

I noticed that some Ibanez Jem's come with the highest frets scalloped (around 20-24?), what would be the advantage of just scalloping these frets?

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 01:55 PM
well i think its because of the fret size.... people like the shred all over the neck but the higher you get the more differently you haver to press then say the wider lower frets... i think its harder to press them down to get the tone you want on higher frets... thus scalloping will make it easier to press down to get the desired note. but im a n00b what do i know haha

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 18 2007, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Dec 18 2007, 01:40 PM) *
is it hard to scallop a fretboard or does it need to be done proffessionally?

muntahunta,

It is not hard, but it does take some effort and very long time (several days) smile.gif of course you'll propably get a better scallop if it's done by a professional. But it's often quite expensive sad.gif

Here's a very good tutorial if you want to do it yourself: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 02:21 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Dec 18 2007, 05:15 AM) *
Here's a very good tutorial if you want to do it yourself: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

smile.gif

thats the tutorial im using as well smile.gif

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 18 2007, 02:23 PM
Learning Roadie

ive looked at that and i dont have the tools sad.gif which frets could i do with just the 1/4" round file?
and how would i go about finishing it?
i really want to do this and since one of my strings have just broke i have more reason to take the strings off to do it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Dec 18 2007, 05:23 AM) *
ive looked at that and i dont have the tools sad.gif which frets could i do with just the 1/4" round file?
and how would i go about finishing it?
i really want to do this and since one of my strings have just broke i have more reason to take the strings off to do it biggrin.gif

well im figuring you can probably do down to the 16-24 with a round 1/4 file...then if you wanted to go down further then that id look for a flatter more oval shape 1/2 file or something.... thats what im plannin on doing. off to home depot! haha

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 18 2007, 02:39 PM
Learning Roadie
nah, i think its either the full neck or none. if i just get the high part of the neck done i think it would be too hard to get used to. changing between scalloped and non scalloped.

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 18 2007, 03:08 PM
well if you wanna do them all then id get the 1/4" file and like a 5/8" file. and id do it all by hand, slowly, and just shape it by eye. then go over it all with sand paper down to some fine grain paper, and then polish it up smile.gif

--------------------

hahah"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 18 2007, 03:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 18 2007, 07:51 AM) *
Interesting. I personally would never dare to attempt to scallop a fretboard myself, because I know I'd probably make a pig's ear of it!

I noticed that some Ibanez Jem's come with the highest frets scalloped (around 20-24?), what would be the advantage of just scalloping these frets?

I agree on the home scalloping front!

I guess the l;ast 4 scalloped frets are the ones you need the most help with - kind of a compromise if you don't want to scallop the whole neck.

Another answer might be "Because Steve Vai said so!" - it may just be his personal preference and have no logic behind it at all ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 18 2007, 03:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 18 2007, 03:25 PM) *
Another answer might be "Because Steve Vai said so!"

laugh.gif laugh.gif well, that's a perfectly good reason to scallop the last 4 frets! I'm sure Steve knows what he's doing smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 18 2007, 04:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (lavendell @ Dec 18 2007, 09:45 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif well, that's a perfectly good reason to scallop the last 4 frets! I'm sure Steve knows what he's doing smile.gif

Very true biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:26 PM