Vista & 64 Bit, My Impressions
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 15 2008, 10:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well on the back of creating my monster, I have everything setup as I like it and since there were so many differing opinions on Vista & 64 bit, I will now confuse the issue further by telling you what I think having been through it!

So, my initial impressions of Vista are good - I'm a sucker for flashy graphics and love the new Aero theme. Since I am working on a way more powerful machine I don't notice any performance impact - in fact, this is the best way to move to Vista IMO - buy a new more powerful machine, and don't bother upgrading your older machines.

The install was fairly routine - I'm glad to see Vista is a bit cleverer than XP was about getting SATA drivers of an actual CD instead of forcing you to make floppy image (especially as I have no floppy drive!)

So, on to the software, this was the make or break. I had previously verified that my 2 most important devices not only had vista drivers but also 64 bit versions of those drivers - my EMU1212m soundcard and my PodXT Live. Both installed without a hitch and work perfectly. This is a key factpr in upgrading though - make sure all of your devices have support or you willneed to throw them away.

I spent some time installing my many VSTs and various pieces of software, and I am gratified to report that with one single exception, everything worked! That exception is Bournemark Broomstick Bass which actually installs and runs ok but crashes whenever you try and open the interface. Sadly, Bournemark have no plans to produce a Vista copy. In all other cases, I found updated Vista compatible versions of my programs, and in one solitary case I needed to pay an upgrade fee of $10. I managed to install a couple of non Vista aware programs ok by running the install and registration as administrator - necessary for some registry writing rights that would otherwise fail.

So, in terms of software coverage, I have all I had before with that single exception - a lot better than I thought!

Now, I have to say that 64 bit version of programs are still few and far between. Although I can get a 64 bit reaper, it won;t work with 32 bit VSTs as previously reported on this forum, so I have to use the 32 bit version of Reaper. 64 bit support is still very spotty elsewhere as well - I have just a handful of 64 bit apps installed, including surprisingly iTunes - make sense I suppose since OSX is 64 bit by now I guess. However the good news is that 32 bit programs run just fine on 64 bit Vista so going to 64 bit hasn't actually hurt me, I am just not necessarily using the full 64 bit potential of my machine, which for now is fine. I think it will be another couple of years at least before the move to 64 bit gains headway.

Also, there were various opinions on having 8 cores instead of 4 or 2. People were right in that software mostly doesn't make use of all cores, but some of my key software does, particularly reaper. Sony Vegas does for rendering but dissapointingly doesn't seem to for previewing projects with effects on. This will get better over time as well though, and I think somewhat quicker than the 64 bit situation so we will see.

All in all, I am very pleased with my decisions and now have a much faster machine than I did before!

Final Conclusion:

Vista - Yes! The time is Now!
8 Cores - sure why not
64 bit - still a couple of years away but won't do any harm to start now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Andrew Cockburn   Vista & 64 Bit   Oct 15 2008, 10:55 PM
- - Emir Hot   Nice to hear that you're happy with your new s...   Oct 15 2008, 11:06 PM
- - MickeM   Great to see things are working out for you I fo...   Oct 15 2008, 11:07 PM
- - opeth.db   I have been testing Vista 64 for a while and has b...   Oct 15 2008, 11:32 PM
- - jer   How is iTunes 8 working for you? It SUCKED for me...   Oct 16 2008, 12:46 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (jer @ Oct 15 2008, 07:46 PM) How i...   Oct 16 2008, 01:53 AM
nnn
- - Ajmurrell   I bought a AR series VAIO laptop last year, and it...   Oct 16 2008, 01:36 AM
- - jer   I'll post anything unfortunate here as well. ...   Oct 16 2008, 02:00 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Good news Andrew, I'm glad everything is worki...   Oct 16 2008, 02:08 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Absolutely - in fact trilogy is why i'm not so...   Oct 17 2008, 12:13 AM
nnn
- - Velvet Roger   QUOTE (jer @ Oct 16 2008, 01:46 AM) How i...   Oct 16 2008, 02:12 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   Glad to hear you're happy with new PC   Oct 16 2008, 02:13 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   These are great news (that everything works!)....   Oct 16 2008, 02:45 PM
- - ChrisVdS   All this talk about new computers makes me want to...   Oct 16 2008, 09:06 PM
- - jer   Wow. Thats almost exactly what I just replaced. At...   Oct 16 2008, 09:15 PM
- - THE BUZZARD   hi andrew, i,m glad you like your vista, i have be...   Oct 17 2008, 12:42 AM
- - blindwillie   Thanks for sharing your experienses Andrew. QUOTE...   Oct 17 2008, 07:48 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Trying it now - thanks!   Oct 17 2008, 11:43 AM
nnn
- - blindwillie   I could have been polite enough to add a link to i...   Oct 17 2008, 12:12 PM
- - kaznie_NL   I also have vista (the 32-bits) and no problems at...   Oct 17 2008, 03:49 PM
- - Duncan   Glad to hear you're happy with Vista 64-bit as...   Oct 17 2008, 09:42 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:26 AM