5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Announcement: Gmc Rec Program Is Live!
djohnneay
Mar 19 2009, 02:17 PM
GMC:er
This is so awesome !

Now there is nothing stopping me from trying as hard as ever possible !
I really like the idea and hope I'm in the comfort of submitting a video soon.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Mar 19 2009, 02:29 PM
Instructor
This is really shaping up to be a big part of GMC, i really am enjoying the takes everyone has put up so far.

I think i speak for most of the instructors that this is something that has been needed, sometimes we wish we could go the extra mile to get you guys over a difficult part in your learning, when we can see you, and hear you, we are better equipped to answer questions about something you are having problems with.

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 19 2009, 03:07 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I think it is a great initiative already. The grades I got show me what I need to focus on ( well everything biggrin.gif ). Getting good grades will surely be very rewarding, and getting not so great ones will force us to practice more. As always more elaborate comments are more helpful than the shorter ones, but even these few numbers show much, especially considering that most of the time they will be more less relevant to the numbers provided by other judges.

Even more, now when recording I will demand even more from myself, in order to get grades good enough to pass with the video:) All in all - win win situation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 19 2009, 03:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Andrew, just quicky question. Is it fine if I just record with camera, no real deal with downloading BT's, recording syncing etc? Just in a way you can hear what I play just fine, but it's just not high quality.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2009, 04:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 18 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Is it possible to post another version of the same lesson if you have improved, to get a better rating?

Kind of - this is a pass/fail assessment. If you fail it has no effect on your grade, if you pass it counts regardless of your score. If you fail you can resubmit whenever you need to.

Regards,

Andrew

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 19 2009, 10:29 AM) *
Hey Andrew, just quicky question. Is it fine if I just record with camera, no real deal with downloading BT's, recording syncing etc? Just in a way you can hear what I play just fine, but it's just not high quality.

You need to play along with the backing track or we can't rate it - but if you want to record both on the webcam at the same time, that is ok as long as the quality is decent!

Also, everyone note - the guidelines state that you need to include a link to the original lesson in your grading post - please make it easy for the instructors to grade you!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 19 2009, 04:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Wao, not following the forum for a few days and there are REC topics all over the place, awesome !!
You guys have put some thinking into this, great job. I'm excited to see the REC program live now.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 19 2009, 05:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I love seeing everybody's takes on these lessons. I had no idea that all these takes were hiding out in cyberspace. laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 19 2009, 05:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
This sounds great. I'm going to try and get something up tonight. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 19 2009, 05:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 19 2009, 05:17 PM) *
I love seeing everybody's takes on these lessons. I had no idea that all these takes were hiding out in cyberspace. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Indeed - it's like an explosion of youtube videos! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 19 2009, 05:49 PM
This is awesome news!! Now, my new PC is here late next week, then I have to wait until the end of the month to get a Vid Cam!! Then it'll take me about 3 years to learn how to use all my new Toys properly so I reckon I can submit something by 2012?????
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Mar 19 2009, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
There should be a rating for how clean your room is, too.

Room Cleanliness:

1. Pig Sty - How can you live there? Don't the flies bother you when you practice?
2. Pretty Bad - Your room is pretty messy. Would it kill you to pick up those empty Mountain Dew bottles?
3. Getting there - Your bed still isn't made, dirty socks on the floor.
4. Pretty nice - The bed is made, but there are still clean clothes that need to be folded and put away.
5. Excellent - Your mom must be very proud.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Mar 19 2009, 06:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Mar 19 2009, 05:24 PM) *
There should be a rating for how clean your room is, too.

Room Cleanliness:

1. Pig Sty - How can you live there? Don't the flies bother you when you practice?
2. Pretty Bad - Your room is pretty messy. Would it kill you to pick up those empty Mountain Dew bottles?
3. Getting there - Your bed still isn't made, dirty socks on the floor.
4. Pretty nice - The bed is made, but there are still clean clothes that need to be folded and put away.
5. Excellent - Your mom must be very proud.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 19 2009, 06:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I have a quick question. A while ago I recorded a take on Joe's Strink Skipping Workout. I just recorded over a drum beat though, not the original backing. Can I post this or should I record it again with the backing?

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 19 2009, 06:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Andrew - how many instructor ratings do we need for a score to "count"? I see some uploads only have one instructor rating...and some have no ratings at all. I am afraid that these people's videos are going to get lost in the mix and never get rated. Videos with one rating...is that the final score for the video?

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2009, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 19 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Andrew - how many instructor ratings do we need for a score to "count"? I see some uploads only have one instructor rating...and some have no ratings at all. I am afraid that these people's videos are going to get lost in the mix and never get rated. Videos with one rating...is that the final score for the video?

We need mimimum 5 ratings, but don't worry, Skennington is looking after that angle - no-one will get forgotten!

QUOTE (Matt23 @ Mar 19 2009, 01:29 PM) *
I have a quick question. A while ago I recorded a take on Joe's Strink Skipping Workout. I just recorded over a drum beat though, not the original backing. Can I post this or should I record it again with the backing?

We'd like it recorded to the backing track so we can judge the overall performance and feel - just a drumbeat won;t give us as clear a picture, sorry!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Mar 19 2009, 07:14 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 19 2009, 12:52 PM) *
We need mimimum 5 ratings, but don't worry, Skennington is looking after that angle - no-one will get forgotten!

We'd like it recorded to the backing track so we can judge the overall performance and feel - just a drumbeat won;t give us as clear a picture, sorry!

Would I get extra point playing with my my big fat cat Scampy draped over my neck while I play?

I don't understand your logic in thinking playing with a backing gives a better indication. To me it is the opposite, a person's ability, the acid test, is their ability to play alone. I cannot understand how it is possible, that what i am say, is not correct. I am pretty certain that most traditional classical musicians would agree. Generally what has stood the test of time, in the long run, has more legs, that current popular perspectives.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by fkalich: Mar 19 2009, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 19 2009, 07:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (fkalich @ Mar 19 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Would I get extra point playing with my my big fat cat Scampy draped over my neck while I play?

I don't understand your logic in thinking playing with a backing gives a better indication. To me it is the opposite, a person's ability, the acid test, is their ability to play alone. I cannot understand how it is possible, that what i am say, is not correct. I am pretty certain that most traditional classical musicians would agree. Generally what has stood the test of time, in the long run, has more legs, that current popular perspectives.

edit: spelling

I do think that some sort of beat or metronome is required to judge person's timing and rhythm placement, but I can't see the reason either for the original backing to be needed. I would like to hear the reason's for the backing though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 19 2009, 07:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I see your point Fkalich, but I guess playing along with the backing makes it easier to evaluate the correct timing & overall feel and cohesion of the piece, given the fact that GMC lessons are meant to be played along with the backing, with a "band" feel to them.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2009, 07:28 PM
If you can play extreme neoclassic with a cat across your shoulders that should earn you an extra point for feeling as long as you look comfortable and relaxed about it!

Regarding backing, I would agree if we were just looking at technique, but we are also judging context - the sound of the guitar, the interplay with the backing, the timing etc. Without the backing track there is no context which makes the comparison less meaningful, and harder to judge.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
skennington
Mar 19 2009, 07:35 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 19 2009, 01:52 PM) *

Yes, no worries guys, some of you already have enough grades from Instructor's to get a final grade average for the given lesson. I will be working on these soon so stay tuned. Btw, nice to see how all of you have kicked this program off, some great material being posted. Now I have some work to do... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:07 PM