Black Magic Woman Cover, Cover of an old classic
IbanezMartin
Aug 3 2008, 10:08 PM
GMC:er
Hi!

I've recorded a version of Santana's Black Magic Woman. The quality is quite bad, but I think it's good enough. I would really like some feedback on my playing, been playing for a little more than 1.5 years.
The rhythm part is not like the original, I just did a quite poor improvisation over the chords. tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjlUJ85xw0

What do you think? rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by IbanezMartin: Aug 3 2008, 11:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vintageplaya666
Aug 3 2008, 10:42 PM
I would of watched it, But it says the video is no longer available...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "

+Quote Post
IbanezMartin
Aug 3 2008, 11:26 PM
That's strange, works fine here!

+Quote Post
vintageplaya666
Aug 3 2008, 11:42 PM
Hmm, It still says the video is no longer available..shame really.

However, I checked out you're cover of Metallica's Orion, and its pretty good, But on the intro riff I noticed you're using Alternate Picking. I'd recommend using down picking for that as you will get a better and fatter tone out of it smile.gif

And for the next part after that, Instead of letting the power chords stop dead, let them ring as thats how Metallica do it. (The part that starts from 1:14)

On you're solo part, sometimes you get the pitch of the bends correctly but sometimes they go out, and the run you do up the fretboard doesn't sound right too me..cant pinpoint why though lol.

Anyway's thats my evaluation for Orion! Apart from those things that i've picked out, you did a good job smile.gif

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "

+Quote Post
IbanezMartin
Aug 3 2008, 11:58 PM
That's weird!

Thanks for comment on Orion! It's been out a while now and I've gotten some critics pointed to the palmmuting at the beginning. Thanks for tip on down-strokes on first riff though smile.gif

The solo is probably not quite correct, I remember I struggled to get it right and just recorded it with some flaws. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 4 2008, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I could watch it and it sounded good man

great work

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 4 2008, 04:15 PM
Watched it and liked it
Good job, mate smile.gif

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 4 2008, 04:16 PM

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 5 2008, 11:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very good cover man ! Maybe you should work a little on those bends and vibrato..Just make them a little tighter and more precise..Good job overall!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 6 2008, 08:29 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (IbanezMartin @ Aug 3 2008, 11:08 PM) *
Hi!

I've recorded a version of Santana's Black Magic Woman. The quality is quite bad, but I think it's good enough. I would really like some feedback on my playing, been playing for a little more than 1.5 years.
The rhythm part is not like the original, I just did a quite poor improvisation over the chords. tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjlUJ85xw0

What do you think? rolleyes.gif

It's a cool song, good playing man.

You should listen to Peter Green and Fleetwood mac's original, it's so incredibly much better than the cover Santana did.
Santanas version does nothing to me, Peter Greens original makes me shiver - and that's how good it is.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 07:26 PM
Instructor
It sounds cool, the tone is nice. A better vibrato would make the soling even better, I would suggest more work on that.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
IbanezMartin
Aug 12 2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks for all the replies! smile.gif
I'll will look into the issues you are pointing out, try to improve the bending and vibrato etc!

I'll also take a look at the original, thanks for the tip MickeM. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:24 PM