Hey Guys! (introduction)
cycopl
Aug 18 2012, 03:47 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

My name is Joe. I just signed up today. I learned about this site by watching Kristofer Dahl's videos on Youtube. I've been subscribed to him for half a decade now. Amazing guitarist and a hilarious guy to boot. I figured that if I were to take online guitar lessons on any site, it would be this one.

I am 29 years old and have been "playing" guitar since I was 13. I never took any lessons; I started out by learning Metallica songs, but I didn't really start actually playing for real until three years later when I joined a (death) metal band. I was still awful at guitar, but that experience really pushed me to learn more techniques and start writing music of my own. After I quit the band at 19, my guitar playing was limited to writing random guitar riffs and recording them onto my computer. I pushed myself a bit and got better over the next couple years, but I feel like my progress has been extremely slow and has stagnated over the past few years.

My passion is in writing music, but I feel that it's been a double-edged sword for me over the past decade. I tend to write stuff that I can play, and I really only play stuff that I write. There is nothing pushing me forward to the next level.

My goal is to kind of start fresh, get a new perspective on my guitar playing, build a stronger base, and become better at playing leads. Ultimately, I would like to be able to shred.

I plan on buying a webcam so I can participate in the REC forum and get some advice from people much better than myself. If you're interested in hearing my current skill level, here are a few clips I've recorded over the past few years (I apologize in advance for bad eq, sloppy playing, fake sounding drums and hard cuts in the production, lol)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/riff13hq2.mp3 - maiden/inflames-y (2006)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/riff29song.mp3 - mix of influences, reminds me of Black Dahlia Murder or Vehemence (2008)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/Acid_03.mp3 - reminds me of Darkest Hour (2009)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/TIC_02.mp3 - mix of influences, but also reminds me of Darkest Hour (2011)

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. I look forward to learning with you guys! Keep on rockin'.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 18 2012, 10:45 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Hey Joe, welcome to GMC, good to have you here smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 18 2012, 02:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC - great to see you in the forum!

Its a very good idea to start participating in REC - recording yourself will give you a completely new perspective on your playing + recording experience will be valuable to you down the line when recording your own songs.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the site.

See you around!

/Bogdan

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome to the site! As Bogdan said, recording a take for the REC would be VERY useful! You will also use the camera for other cool features here like the mentoring programs and the collaborations.

Enjoy the site and let us know how we can help you! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 18 2012, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Nice intro Joe,welcome to the site wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2012, 01:24 AM
GMC:er
You could not have come to a better place smile.gif This is the BEST guitar community on the web. I"m Todd Simpson, a staff instructor and I"ve seen progress from students that you would not believe. Jump in to the LIVE VIDEO CHATS and REC program and get ready to SOAR!

Todd

QUOTE (cycopl @ Aug 17 2012, 10:47 PM) *
Hey guys!

My name is Joe. I just signed up today. I learned about this site by watching Kristofer Dahl's videos on Youtube. I've been subscribed to him for half a decade now. Amazing guitarist and a hilarious guy to boot. I figured that if I were to take online guitar lessons on any site, it would be this one.

I am 29 years old and have been "playing" guitar since I was 13. I never took any lessons; I started out by learning Metallica songs, but I didn't really start actually playing for real until three years later when I joined a (death) metal band. I was still awful at guitar, but that experience really pushed me to learn more techniques and start writing music of my own. After I quit the band at 19, my guitar playing was limited to writing random guitar riffs and recording them onto my computer. I pushed myself a bit and got better over the next couple years, but I feel like my progress has been extremely slow and has stagnated over the past few years.

My passion is in writing music, but I feel that it's been a double-edged sword for me over the past decade. I tend to write stuff that I can play, and I really only play stuff that I write. There is nothing pushing me forward to the next level.

My goal is to kind of start fresh, get a new perspective on my guitar playing, build a stronger base, and become better at playing leads. Ultimately, I would like to be able to shred.

I plan on buying a webcam so I can participate in the REC forum and get some advice from people much better than myself. If you're interested in hearing my current skill level, here are a few clips I've recorded over the past few years (I apologize in advance for bad eq, sloppy playing, fake sounding drums and hard cuts in the production, lol)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/riff13hq2.mp3 - maiden/inflames-y (2006)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/riff29song.mp3 - mix of influences, reminds me of Black Dahlia Murder or Vehemence (2008)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/Acid_03.mp3 - reminds me of Darkest Hour (2009)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48070/TIC_02.mp3 - mix of influences, but also reminds me of Darkest Hour (2011)

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. I look forward to learning with you guys! Keep on rockin'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:43 AM