Reading Notes
resilientguitari...
Oct 5 2008, 06:49 AM
GMC:er
is it important to learn how to read notes as a guitarist? i know tabs but i am very poor when it comes to notes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Vinod Saranga
Oct 5 2008, 07:01 AM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (resilientguitarist @ Oct 5 2008, 11:19 AM) *
is it important to learn how to read notes as a guitarist? i know tabs but i am very poor when it comes to notes.

yes it's important to develop your sightreading skills along with your technical skills.

Here you can find more advatages of sightreading

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=7246

And here is a basic course I develop to help you to facilitate sightreading.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=15522

Hope this helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vinod Saranga: Oct 5 2008, 07:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 5 2008, 10:00 AM
Instructor
It is important to read indeed especially if you ever plan to learn Piano, Saxophone, Trumpet and other instrument parts on guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 5 2008, 12:49 PM
Instructor
It is definitely a good thing if you can read notes. Many don't read notes and are still good players but I suggest to learn it. Notes are important to tell you note durations, key signatures, easy interval recognition etc... Definitely a plus if you know it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 5 2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor
It depends what you wanna do. With session musicians, where you don't know the part until you come to the studio and you get a sheet, it is very important, since you can't really do those kind of jobs. But when you do regular rock gigs, and similar stuff, this is not an obligation. You can learn from tabs at home, practice everything well, and play the stuff on stage. But it is always a big plus to know your sight reading. Bare in mind that ~50% of sight reading is all about note durations (other 50% are notes and signs). Also if you stop doing it, you get worse, if you do it all the time, you will get better and better.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 5 2008, 11:10 PM
Jazz Instructor
Of course it's useful, but aks your self, do I really need it?
If you lay classical guitar, then it's mandatory, but if you play metal and rock, it isn't essential.
Start with really really easy compositions, with steady rhythm like all half notes...As you progress things will get easier.
Also, keep practicing in the first position until you "nail" it!

Good Luck!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 6 2008, 07:03 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also consider it to be useful, but not mandatory. As Ivan already pointed out, if you want to work as a session/studio musician then you will for sure have to be able to read music, cause in this case you won't know what you will have to play before you enter the studio and somebody gives you a sheet with the written down song. But if you play in your own band, write your own songs, nobody forces you to write them down like that. When I learned to play guitar I had classical lessons, and back then I also learned how to read and write music, but since we don't use this in BG I have to admit I forgot a lot. I can still read and write music, but I am much slower today, I can't just take some notes and play them. But as I said, it is not really an obligation in my opinion. I am used to use my ears, I hear music wink.gif When I write a song I record it, so when I forget something I listen to my recording and immediately know what I have to play again, I just prefer this way.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 12:58 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
In short its very very good to learn to read music notation but its not that mandatory..Especially if you don't encounter real need for it in your playing carrier.Really depends what you want to do/achieve.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 10 2008, 12:59 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 10 2008, 01:15 AM
Instructor
I think is something you've got to learn if you want to understand music. Proportional notation it's a system that defines very carefully the rhythm and pitch. If you learn how to read you'll never depend on the MIDI, record, or anything to listen and hear the result of the written piece. At least you could learn with a good method of eartraining to understand some things that happends in music, like the harmonic functions.
The best advice that I can give you is to learn those things because they will make you a better musician, not only a better guitar player. Because if you fully understand what's happening with all the elements that are in a composition you can get the best interpretation of that piece.
Learn to sightread allow you to write all your compositions too.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:32 PM