2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Did You Discover Any Artists/bands Through Gmc?
Robin
Nov 16 2007, 08:00 AM
GMC:er
Topic title says it all.

I have discovered tons of great artists and bands on GMC(thanks!), I'm gonna try to see if I remember all of them.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jefferson Airplane
Paul Gilbert
Leahy
The Masterless Men
The Tragically Hip
John Butler
Andy Mckee
Budgie(I think?)
Bob Brozman
Yes
Tenacious D(not the best music, but very funny)

and tooooooooons of guitarists.

I know rokchik, Gen, Hemlok etc. have showed me alot more, but I still havent managed to dive into all of these bands smile.gif
SRV, Leahy, Jefferson Airplane, The Masterless Men and Budgie are definitely my favorites of the bands I've discovered through GMC, atleast of those I can think of atm.

So, what about everyone else?

Just thought I could add a Bjørn Berge link since we're at this subject smile.gif
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1pXtWCSAiFg

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Nov 16 2007, 09:03 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM
Bjorn Berge, thanks to Robin. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM) *

laugh.gif

Everyone got to hear him, he's too good smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 16 2007, 08:06 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 16 2007, 02:05 AM) *
laugh.gif

Everyone got to hear him, he's too good smile.gif

I must admit, you are right.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 16 2007, 08:12 AM
I got obsessed with Rhapsody thanks to Pavel and Uncreator tongue.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 16 2007, 08:21 AM
Oh and today I also started listening to some U2 because of Mattacuk. Never really listened to them much before that.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 16 2007, 08:22 AM
Get to da Chopper!
hmm lets see..
Before GMC i had never heard of:
Steve Lukather
Steve Vai ohmy.gif
Joe Satriani ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Mark Knopfler

but now love them wink.gif

Its somehow skyrocketted my interest in John Petrucci also, even though i loved his work before i signed up.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 16 2007, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 16 2007, 08:12 AM) *
I got obsessed with Rhapsody thanks to Pavel and Uncreator tongue.gif

Hahah that's the way to go! wink.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 16 2007, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 16 2007, 08:22 AM) *
hmm lets see..
Before GMC i had never heard of:
Steve Lukather
Steve Vai ohmy.gif
Joe Satriani ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Mark Knopfler

but now love them wink.gif

Its somehow skyrocketted my interest in John Petrucci also, even though i loved his work before i signed up.

Nice one wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Gen
Nov 16 2007, 09:01 AM
First of all, good thread mate smile.gif
I have to say i ve discovered some really good artists/bands(and songs of artists i already knew) through gmc.
I cant remember of all right now but i ll try to make a little list, as Robin did:

Bjorn Berge
Oystein Sunde
Opeth
Andy McKee
Riverdance
Leahy
Eric Clapton (just knew some famous songs but never really listened to him before slammer showed it to me, thanks biggrin.gif)
The Traveling Willburys
The Tragically Hip
Darkthrone
Budgie
Explosion In The Sky
and many others...

I would like to thank : Robin, Rokchik, Slammer and Fsdjv (sorry if i spelled it wrong tongue.gif), i probably wouldnt have heard of all the artists i ve mentionned without them, and thanks to all the GMC community for making that possible. Best Website ever smile.gif

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
Understudy
Nov 16 2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Robin, I hope you are feeling better and able to play soon smile.gif. One of my favorite bands is the Meat Puppets, really cool stuff from these guys I really love them. Too High To Die is a great album to check out. Also try Animal Bag. They had 2 albums, the first is self titled , the second was just cover tunes. The first is worth checking out. I have not really discovered anything new from the site that I have not listened to already and some of you younger guys and gals listen to stuff that I can't say I really enjoy smile.gif. Some of you guys dig up some really cool clips from Youtube, several of the artiasts I hope to check out an album or two.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 16 2007, 09:44 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
That brings back memories Understudy - saw Meat Puppets years ago headline with Henry Rollins.

On that vein maybe a mention for Fugazi and Big Black seems called for smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 16 2007, 03:37 PM
hmm Andy Timmons is the only one I could come up with and its from Instrumental Case which I don't see much in the boards anymore.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 16 2007, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Gen @ Nov 16 2007, 09:01 AM) *
Fsdjv (sorry if i spelled it wrong tongue.gif)

OMG! You forgot the g! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Anyways, yeah, I've discovered Björn Berge, Buckethead, Akira Yamakoa (wich is so awesome I can't believe it) and I'm sure some more things that I can't think of right now. Oh, yeah, I've discovered great guitarists such as Muris and Gabriel through GMC aswell!

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Nov 16 2007, 06:07 PM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 16 2007, 08:05 AM) *

+1, best find so far I think.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 16 2007, 07:36 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Not so much discovered but re-discovered, the main one to note is probably Paul Gilbert, I loved Mr big etc when it was all out but kinda got lost in the past till Muris`s PG lesson & Matts links to youtube, its made me dig out old albums, and its all come up fresh again smile.gif

(BTW excellent topic m8)

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 16 2007, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 16 2007, 09:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 16 2007, 06:36 PM) *
Not so much discovered but re-discovered, the main one to note is probably Paul Gilbert, I loved Mr big etc when it was all out but kinda got lost in the past till Muris`s PG lesson & Matts links to youtube, its made me dig out old albums, and its all come up fresh again smile.gif

(BTW excellent topic m8)

That is pretty awsome! biggrin.gif My local mate showed me Paul Gilbert just before I started GMC and i was hooked instantly - the magical video was scarified! cool.gif

But on topic, I have learned of a list a mile long of awsome players since joining GMC! I pretty much only listened to U2 before I joined up. I still like them alot, but i now have alot more to enjoy!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Nov 17 2007, 02:57 AM
Sanctity - Road to bloodshed

Read Uncreator's review and bought the CD the next day. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post
Slammer
Nov 17 2007, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (Gen @ Nov 16 2007, 03:01 AM) *
.....Eric Clapton (just knew some famous songs but never really listened to him before slammer showed it to me, thanks biggrin.gif )

laugh.gif I remember when I showed you the Youtube video of "Old Love- Live in Hyde Park" you talked about it for days after that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 17 2007, 04:33 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Bjorn Berge (thanks to Robin)
Textures (Thanks to Owen)
David Walliman (Thanks to David Walliman smile.gif )
Muris Varajic (Thanks to Muris Varajic biggrin.gif )

Those are the main ones i can think of right now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:04 PM