27 Inch Scale
jstcrsn
Apr 8 2010, 11:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
i'm looking at a seven string , is their any difference or what is it between 27 and 25.5
and don't tell me it is a inch and a half dry.gif
thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
ZakkWylde
Apr 9 2010, 02:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
The fret spacing of the first 12 frets added together is a 27 instead of 25.5 inches; this results in slightly bigger individual frets and a longer neck overall.

The string tensiion is increased due to the longer scale (so for examples 9s will feel like 10s....) This is especially good for low tunigs as it keeps clarity for the notes. The longer scale makes it a bit more difficult to play though (longers stretches, etc...)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 9 2010, 02:44 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Zakks right, The tension will be increased which is what you want for a 7 string I think, since its natural tuning is B Standard you dont want the strings flopping around or sounding too muddy, which happens on a lot of 6 strings that are tuned that low and dont have proper prep work done to them.

My 7 string has the same scale length, You will notice that the frets can be a bit more difficult to reach, But its nothing that can really affect your overall playing. After a few days, maybe 15 hours of playing with it I hardly noticed it after that, Its more natural to me now than any 6 string is.

Bonus too, is when you switch to a smaller scale, its a lot easier to play, feels smoother. I think it also increases your endurance as well, the slightly wider neck can make you do a bit more work, especially when your string skipping, or play high notes on the low strings, But once again, after awhile you wont notice it.

Thats just how it went for me, I have been playing a 7 string for 2 years and I played a 6 string for almost 5 before that, And the switch was kind of smooth actually.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 9 2010, 03:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
thanks
but so would you just put 10's on your shorter scale for the same feel
i'm not the tallest , so i don't have the best stretch

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 9 2010, 04:06 AM
GMC:er
The problem comes when you want to play on an 8 string guitar. Trust me, it can be painful. Hahaha

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:47 PM