fingers or a pick?
2 px
Jul 12 2006, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
hello, i have been playing for three years.. and havent used the pick.. just my fingers, is that a bad thing?I feel comfy with it, but when i see how fast you play the pentatonics i wounder if I should start to use a pick.. there is a limit for how fast athumb can move

MARK KNOPHLER DOESNT USE A PICK >:<

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 12 2006, 10:44 PM
GMC Founder
Yes if you want extreme speed you definately should go for the pick! smile.gif

Welcome to GMC by the way! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
2 px
Jul 12 2006, 10:48 PM
thank you :sun

neighbour.. live in norway

so when you get big shot you will come and tour in scandinavia i guess!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 13 2006, 07:17 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (2 px)
thank you  :sun  

neighbour.. live in norway

so when you get big shot you will come and tour in scandinavia i guess!

Of course - and visit my fellow Norwegians! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Jul 14 2006, 01:03 PM
Being good with your fingers is still very useful so don't regret not having used a pick, if you play with a pick from day one you tend to become too dependent on it. Picking two or more strings simultaneously kind of requires your other fingers so that's always good to know.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 14 2006, 03:12 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (KRmachine)
Being good with your fingers is still very useful so don't regret not having used a pick, if you play with a pick from day one you tend to become too dependent on it. Picking two or more strings simultaneously kind of requires your other fingers so that's always good to know.

Absolutely

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Jul 14 2006, 04:24 PM
I started with only my fingers, mainly cause my friend never used a plec and he makes his les paul scream!!!

Took me a while to get used to a plec and still am in some areas, artificial harmonics im crap at! can do them when i dont want to though!! lol

Now only use my fingers for fingerpicking. Cant do what Kris does and uses both. Iv seen him pick with his little & ring finger on E & B strings and use his plec on his G string. I end up throwing the plec accross the room if i try and replicate that!

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 14 2006, 08:41 PM
GMC Founder
smile.gif

To be honest I don't like the pick very much - I believe playing with fingers is much easier because you have a direct connection with strings - and this really improves the control.

However, there are so many things which you impossibly could do without the pick (Artificial harmonics, speedpicking, heavy palm muting etc.). This make it worth the effort.

Has anybody heard Brett Garsed? He almost doesn't use his pick att all and does some wicked soloing...

/K

+Quote Post
MFC
Jul 16 2006, 01:55 AM
I am doing some scales with a pick, actually I am a beginner so I prefer using the pick at the moment to "get to know" the pick but if I dont use the pick how yould I play the strings to get speed and to maximize the use of the fingers.

I guess it comes down to the thumb and the three "middle" fingers (my tinky is kind of useless actually).

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Jul 16 2006, 09:01 AM
Mark Knopfler also plays exclusively with his fingers, and that seems to work rather well.

+Quote Post
2 px
Jul 16 2006, 02:46 PM
:> im not going to start use a pick.. hehe..

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 17 2006, 09:53 AM
GMC Founder
If your goal is to sound like Mark Knopfler and not use any of the techniques which require a pick - the choice is quite simple! :wink:

+Quote Post
Aim sniff
Jul 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Saying your too dependent on a pick is like saying your too dependent on using an amp. It's made to make guitar and you should be able to use it without being judged. I don't see why you'd use your fingers it's much easier with a pick, but if your talking about finger picking then you can get alot more dynamic sounds and of course it's used mostly in classical so it's you taste in music too.

+Quote Post
2 px
Jul 17 2006, 11:20 PM
i dont play much "classical" except for classical gas.. clapont version :think

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:57 AM