8 Finger Tapping
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 02:40 AM
GMC:er
Ive been looking into it, seems like quite a difficult technique blink.gif

It feels so awkward using my right hand to almost play "Piano" on the neck.

Any tips on hand angle or hand placement for 8 finger tapping ?

Example

Thanks -John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: May 7 2008, 02:43 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 02:46 AM
Woah..... ive seen that before, but you just reminded me 2 things:

1. How cool that technique is, and how I MUST Learn it, maybe I need to kidnap Muris for a few years to teach me how to do it!! tongue.gif

2. How insane Chris Broderick is, he is a great fit for Megadeth.....best guitarist they ever had IMO!! Did a great job in Nevermore and seems to be doing great with Megadeth!

Thanks for bringing that vid back to my attention Eat-Sleep-andJam!! One thing I should add, I remember an article about this a while back, and as for hand placement the article mentioned 2 things, the first that for the "tapping" hand you should keep your hand away from the fretboard for the E, A and D strings and then for the G, B and E you should rest your thumb on the top of the neck for support. It also mentioned that its best to stay relaxed and build the speed up gradually, with a metronome(guess we knew that one already lol)

Best of luck with learning it,
Iain!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iainsteward: May 7 2008, 02:47 AM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 02:51 AM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ May 6 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Woah..... ive seen that before, but you just reminded me 2 things:

1. How cool that technique is, and how I MUST Learn it, maybe I need to kidnap Muris for a few years to teach me how to do it!! tongue.gif

2. How insane Chris Broderick is, he is a great fit for Megadeth.....best guitarist they ever had IMO!! Did a great job in Nevermore and seems to be doing great with Megadeth!

Thanks for bringing that vid back to my attention Eat-Sleep-andJam!! One thing I should add, I remember an article about this a while back, and as for hand placement the article mentioned 2 things, the first that for the "tapping" hand you should keep your hand away from the fretboard for the E, A and D strings and then for the G, B and E you should rest your thumb on the top of the neck for support. It also mentioned that its best to stay relaxed and build the speed up gradually, with a metronome(guess we knew that one already lol)

Best of luck with learning it,
Iain!!

Hey smile.gif Thanks for the help biggrin.gif Yeah I to forgot about Broderick, really a nice player. I stumbled across his Betcha cant play this video and it was like love struck me again wub.gif .

Yeah I really like this technique and I feel like its learnable and the price is well payed off if you get it down biggrin.gif

Oh and If you kidnap Muris, BRING LOTS OF FOOD! All the shredding he does makes him have quite the hunger for everything ! ( Even human flesh ! blink.gif )

laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 02:54 AM
That all sounded reasonable.....paying Muris in food for lessons!! But then you scared me with human flesh!! I will have to make a containment chamber in the basement of my house and get lessons through a glass wall ala Silence Of The Lambs!!

Only one problem with that (slightly weird and twisted) idea!!

I don't know If I can get glass thick enough to withstand the power of Muris' Licks........ tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 03:02 AM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ May 6 2008, 05:54 PM) *
That all sounded reasonable.....paying Muris in food for lessons!! But then you scared me with human flesh!! I will have to make a containment chamber in the basement of my house and get lessons through a glass wall ala Silence Of The Lambs!!

Only one problem with that (slightly weird and twisted) idea!!

I don't know If I can get glass thick enough to withstand the power of Muris' Licks........ tongue.gif

Two Words:

Home Depot

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 03:04 AM
Home Depot will not benefit me, I live in England....... maybe Ikea or Netto can provide me with something!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 03:05 AM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ May 6 2008, 06:04 PM) *
Home Depot will not benefit me, I live in England....... maybe Ikea or Netto can provide me with something!! smile.gif

See the only way my clever little response wouldnt have worked is if you werent from the U.S.A

I blame it on the lack of information of where your from in your Profile !

dry.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 03:10 AM
I take full responsibility for you falling flat on your face with that joke......as punishment I am now going to lock myself in the attic and listen to Avenged Sevenfold until my ears bleed!!

- Surely, nothing deserves that..... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 03:13 AM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ May 6 2008, 06:10 PM) *
I take full responsibility for you falling flat on your face with that joke......as punishment I am now going to lock myself in the attic and listen to Avenged Sevenfold until my ears bleed!!

- Surely, nothing deserves that..... tongue.gif

What If by some godly power, by some terrible reason that In the future Avenged Sevenfold puts out a "Greatest Hits" album.

Then and only then will your ears bleed sufficiently while you sit and cry in the attic biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 03:15 AM
but a Greatest Hits implies that at least one or two songs are "great" so they couldnt call it a Greatest Hits, it would just have to be "Hits"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 03:17 AM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ May 6 2008, 06:15 PM) *
but a Greatest Hits implies that at least one or two songs are "great" so they couldnt call it a Greatest Hits, it would just have to be "Hits"

Maybe by some divine power Syn. learns how to do 8 finger tapping on one hand, Yeah then you will melt in the attic.

Making Ikea or Netto a must for cleanup time ! laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
May 7 2008, 08:11 AM
I like the band, their doing something different and are bringing the rockstar image and shred guitar of the 80s back to the mainstream. Id rather listen to Avenged Sevenfold then 3 Days Grace or Finger 11 or some other radio friendly garbage. I guarentee if you put all the guitarsists that have songs out on the radio and put them in a room Syn could shred them all in half. Hes not as good as alot of other guitarist and they are mainstream so that knocks off a couple cool points, but I give em props for ignoring the "simple sells" philosophy while still appealing to the masses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2008, 08:46 AM
QUOTE (Jeff0803 @ May 7 2008, 08:11 AM) *
I like the band, their doing something different and are bringing the rockstar image and shred guitar of the 80s back to the mainstream. Id rather listen to Avenged Sevenfold then 3 Days Grace or Finger 11 or some other radio friendly garbage. I guarentee if you put all the guitarsists that have songs out on the radio and put them in a room Syn could shred them all in half. Hes not as good as alot of other guitarist and they are mainstream so that knocks off a couple cool points, but I give em props for ignoring the "simple sells" philosophy while still appealing to the masses.

I'd rather listen to a pneumatic drill biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 7 2008, 10:37 AM
Instructor
nice tapping with 8 fingers

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 12:46 PM
QUOTE (Jeff0803 @ May 6 2008, 11:11 PM) *

Yeah Ill agree with you there.
But I feel that A7x went from writing great songs like Unholy Confessions, Into a band that writes "boring" stuff.

Just my take. The band was great, but after their recent album, their going downhill.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 7 2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Scary stuff,off to practicing biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
May 7 2008, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 7 2008, 12:46 PM) *
Yeah Ill agree with you there.
But I feel that A7x went from writing great songs like Unholy Confessions, Into a band that writes "boring" stuff.

Just my take. The band was great, but after their recent album, their going downhill.

Dont get me wrong, Im not a huge fanboy of the band. I have a couple songs and none of their music has ever been my favorite thing to listen to, but I think they get bashed quite a bit because they are trying to do something different. They are the Good Charolette of metal, but I think reintroducing guitar solos into the public eye can only be a good thing for the instrument and the people who play it. Thats why it bothers me when I see people bashing bands like Bullet for My Valentine, Atreyu, Trivium, etc. They arnt the best bands by far but they are far more talented then the majority of radio friendly bands and they are getting people interested in music that actually takes some skill and effort to play. It gets kids inspired to go out and learn how to be better musicians and eventually if they keep wanting to learn theyll get into the really talented underground bands. Mainstream music will always suck, the songs that are on the radio are meant to be commercials for the albums they come off of. The majority of people just want a song they can sing along to and that has a hook, but with more of these "pop metal" bands slowly becoming mainstream maybe we can finally get away from the bands like Nirvana and Green Day and get back to mainstream music with talented guitar players. Keep in mind I live in the US so alot of the people on the forum from other countries probably dont have radio as bad as ours haha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 7 2008, 08:11 PM
Instructor
hehe, love this technique !!!!! I need to practice this exercice wink.gif For sure

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 7 2008, 03:48 AM) *
Scary stuff,off to practicing biggrin.gif

Yeah. Wanna come over to NewYork and help me out? You can be my new metronome, sit on the white bed next to me and go *Bleep* Bleep* laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jeff0803 @ May 7 2008, 09:41 AM) *
Dont get me wrong, Im not a huge fanboy of the band. I have a couple songs and none of their music has ever been my favorite thing to listen to, but I think they get bashed quite a bit because they are trying to do something different. They are the Good Charolette of metal, but I think reintroducing guitar solos into the public eye can only be a good thing for the instrument and the people who play it. Thats why it bothers me when I see people bashing bands like Bullet for My Valentine, Atreyu, Trivium, etc. They arnt the best bands by far but they are far more talented then the majority of radio friendly bands and they are getting people interested in music that actually takes some skill and effort to play. It gets kids inspired to go out and learn how to be better musicians and eventually if they keep wanting to learn theyll get into the really talented underground bands. Mainstream music will always suck, the songs that are on the radio are meant to be commercials for the albums they come off of. The majority of people just want a song they can sing along to and that has a hook, but with more of these "pop metal" bands slowly becoming mainstream maybe we can finally get away from the bands like Nirvana and Green Day and get back to mainstream music with talented guitar players. Keep in mind I live in the US so alot of the people on the forum from other countries probably dont have radio as bad as ours haha.

+1 , I agree with you now. The reintroducing guitar solos part was one thing I kind of forgot about, I just dont love the where the bands image has gone, thats all.

QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ May 7 2008, 11:11 AM) *
hehe, love this technique !!!!! I need to practice this exercice wink.gif For sure

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:17 AM