Musical Things To Do Without Your Guitar, e.g. injured or don't have access to a guitar, etc
dark dude
Feb 4 2011, 04:50 PM
GMC:er
So what do you do if you want to work on your musical abilities but can't (for whatever reason)?

Possible ideas:

* Ear training - using a program or website to practice interval or perhaps chord recognition. If you can hear it in your head, you can play it!

* Reading up on theory - want to know how to break out of your minor pentatonic boxes? Why do these notes sound 'off' when played over this backing track?

* Composition - why is this chord progression used so often? Why's it so effective? The player keeps avoiding landing on the root note, why?

* Shredneck - maybe you don't have room to have a guitar with you. This'll allow you to warm-up before you arrive at the gig.

* Searching for inspiration - listening to your favourite band, listening to a genre you're not familiar with, listening to instruments you're not familiar with.

What do you guys do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 4 2011, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Good question double D !

What do I do ? I get really annoyed !! mad.gif

Joking aside, probably several of the things you mentioned... probably mostly reading up about certain things that I can apply when I get to play again.. or listening to music for inspiration. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Feb 4 2011, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm at work all day so I know this feeling intimately - an all day long feeling of "man, I wish I practice". About the only thing I can do other than watch you tube videos is tap my fingers on the desk with alternating patterns trying to increase speed. Sounds wacky, but at least I'm working on some of my reflexes which is better than sitting here staring at a monitor all day smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 5 2011, 02:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I play guitar daily, and when I don't it's either because I'm too bussy, or too tired. In both cases I won't be doing any other music/guitar activity for obvious reasons.

But there's also another cause that might avoid me playing guitar, and that's when I'm travelling and can't take the guitar with me. Then I listen to loads of music (just as I do daily anyway...), and bring my shredneck with me just to keep my fingertips "hard".

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Rusty Chops
Mar 16 2011, 09:01 AM
This is a good subject, I understand that part of Musician Institutes method is about using visualization to get things into your head. Meaning they promote the idea of using some of your practice time not touching an instrument. There is a guy online named Andrew Wasson who is a graduate of MI that talks about this on his online lessons. He puts lessons on youtube with the name creativeguitarstudios, and has a book that is supposed to touch on this subject for sale on his website though i havent got to buy it yet.

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 16 2011, 05:05 PM
Cheers for the info., Rusty!

My pinky feels injured today, so this is great timing.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 16 2011, 05:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
I usually read some theory and listen new bands/genres for inspiration smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:22 PM