Lookin For A New Guitar
stratman33
Dec 26 2007, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
hey guys im lookin for a new guitar.i'd probably classify myself as an early intermediate player.i play all kinds of rock, and since im only 13, it cant be real expensive, so $400 is probably my limit, my parents dont want me spending any more than that. dry.gif so pretty much do you guys know of a guitar that would suit me for that price?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by stratman33: Dec 26 2007, 04:45 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 26 2007, 04:50 PM
Here's a lower end RG...if you could I'd recommend saving for a higher end one like the 2550 or 1570,because they're basically JEMs without the monkey handle and Evolution pickups. This guitar is still very good though; Very versatile. wink.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=518871

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 26 2007, 09:10 PM
+1 to the save for a really good guitar if you can.

But I always say that you should try before you buy, go to a local store and try as many guitars as you can, and if one doesn't completely blow you away, I would suuggest waiting till they get other guitars in stock, or waiting till you get more money. Never be scared to try out as many things as you can, the staff should understand, and if they don't let you try anything out, don't buy from there.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 26 2007, 09:24 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Guys, his parents said $400 tops so if he saves more the only thing that means is that he gets more in his pocket after spending $400 on the guitar. cool.gif

What are you looking for in regards to
Number of frets?
Pickups H-H, S-S-S, H-S-H etc?
What kind of tremolo - string through, floud rose, fender style trem etc?

Something from the ESP LTD series with a string through body would be cool?

+Quote Post
stratman33
Dec 26 2007, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 26 2007, 03:24 PM) *
Guys, his parents said $400 tops so if he saves more the only thing that means is that he gets more in his pocket after spending $400 on the guitar. cool.gif

What are you looking for in regards to
Number of frets?
Pickups H-H, S-S-S, H-S-H etc?
What kind of tremolo - string through, floud rose, fender style trem etc?

ehh number of frets isnt that big of a deal to me, but i was lookin for something like H-S-S or H-H, and either a floyd or string through bridge.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 26 2007, 03:24 PM) *

ya i've been lookin at some of those, pretty sweet cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Dec 26 2007, 10:22 PM
id check ebay... i got a js 100 for 300 dollars once.. and it was perfect the only thing wrong was the trem arm screw was stripped(5 dollar fix) and for some reason it had sperzel lockin tuners haha.. and down to road i put the dimarzios paf joe and the mojo in it..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Tele-ho
Dec 27 2007, 04:03 AM
Hey Stratman,
dont overlook a Schecter, they are a bit more than what you can spend, but shop around, I got my C-1 for $400 on sale, was originaly $650.
This is one nice guitar!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 27 2007, 04:05 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
That RG350MDX that is 400 is hardly a Low End guitar, id pick that over any $1,000 ESP, Jackson, or even a Dean, it may only be $400, but its an incredible guitar, extremely versatile instrument!

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 27 2007, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 26 2007, 07:05 PM) *
That RG350MDX that is 400 is hardly a Low End guitar, id pick that over any $1,000 ESP, Jackson, or even a Dean, it may only be $400, but its an incredible guitar, extremely versatile instrument!

Nah - the Edge III is hardly better than what you'll get on even an LTD, stock pickups are also off by a mile.

Heavy whammy usage will knock the tremolo in a few months for that guitar, but find one with a good neck and add a OFR and some EMG's and you'll have a beast.

I'd have to say an Ibanez S series would be a better choice - you'd have to push the budget by about 60$ though, and this all depends on how lax your parents are - but look at the S320.

This post has been edited by Owen: Dec 27 2007, 02:33 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 27 2007, 02:23 PM
The Pro Trem is definitely better. Exactly what you would find on a JEM. I'm on an Ibanez kick so here's two more...they're slightly over your price range though sad.gif ....Maybe you could convince your parents? smile.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=512556

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=XPT700

Edit: forgot to put links

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Dec 27 2007, 02:27 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 27 2007, 02:46 PM
I'd take a $1000 jackson or dean over that mid range IBZ every day of the week, and I've owned several mid range IBZs tongue.gif (iceman, IC220DX, S470).

Best thing you can do is just go wear out a sales associate at a music shop and play everything they'll put in front of you.

I hadn't really tried to wear out a sales associate until I bought my DV8-R. I'd never really tried a King V, and it blew me away. Now I know that my tastes include the balance/size of a king V body, coupled with my taste I already had in necks and active pick ups and it has become a lot easier to buy guitars for me. Now my RG just feels like it's horribly misbalanced.

But seriously, an Ibanez or a Jackson are probably in your wheelhouse right now. Schecters are decent, but for $400 you aren't going to get to the really good ones. I have a $400 schecter Gryphon and I'll probably sell it soon because it's just gathering dust now. The pick ups are lack luster and get blown away by my other guitars (sporting IBZs, DiMarzio Evos, and SD Live Wires DM signature), the neck is a little fatter than I typically care for, and the Grovers go out of tune way more than the Sperzels or the double locking on my other other guitars.

Since this is going to be your "main" guitar, I'd recommend not getting an OFR, since they're not really versatile in that it takes an hour to change tunings, IF you know what you're doing. If you're only going to play in one tuning, then go for it, but since this will likely have to hold you over for a while until you come across another quality guitar, I'd get a fixed bridge were I you.

I'd concentrate on finding a set neck w/ a good neck profile you enjoy and a body that sounds nice and is comfortable to play. Then you can upgrade the tuners next time you come into money (I'd recommend Sperzel Locking, they're fantastic), then maybe upgrade the pickups when you finally get an amp that is a touch more professional since through a low end amp it's not going to make a difference.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:45 AM