Steve Vai Talks About Playing With A Light Touch
Todd Simpson
May 21 2021, 08:38 AM
GMC:er
Wisdom of the ages smile.gif About 10 minutes in

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 21 2021, 10:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's something I really need to address, thanks for sharing cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 21 2021, 11:51 AM
Steve always seems to tell it exactly how it needs to be said!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 21 2021, 12:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
I certainly always tell people to try with as little pressure as possible. Sometimes people and new players seem to think a lot of strength is needed. Of course, if you have really high action it might be more needed than with low action. But I usually think that the more strength you use, the more risk you have of pushing notes out of tune. I guess it's a combination of the right pressure and a good ear to hear when things sound "bad". Now, I don't have much sort of pitch, in all honesty. I can hear when a chord sounds bad or out of tune, can recognize minor/major, 7th chords and perhaps some 9s. That has come through years of playing, but I can't tell you just by hearing some notes if it's a Gmajor7 or a C#maj7, unless you give me a guitar or piano to try and figure it out. Anyway, I'm rambling and took off on a tangent smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 22 2021, 07:22 AM
Some licks/bits may call for increased hand pressure on picking or fretting, but I'm with you, and Mr Vai. I always suggest using the minimum amount of hand pressure instead of the max.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 21 2021, 07:48 AM) *
I certainly always tell people to try with as little pressure as possible. Sometimes people and new players seem to think a lot of strength is needed. Of course, if you have really high action it might be more needed than with low action. But I usually think that the more strength you use, the more risk you have of pushing notes out of tune. I guess it's a combination of the right pressure and a good ear to hear when things sound "bad". Now, I don't have much sort of pitch, in all honesty. I can hear when a chord sounds bad or out of tune, can recognize minor/major, 7th chords and perhaps some 9s. That has come through years of playing, but I can't tell you just by hearing some notes if it's a Gmajor7 or a C#maj7, unless you give me a guitar or piano to try and figure it out. Anyway, I'm rambling and took off on a tangent smile.gif

Steve is the man!! Every video I watch from him contains pearls of wisdom.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 21 2021, 06:51 AM) *
Steve always seems to tell it exactly how it needs to be said!!

Mr vai nails it per usual!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 21 2021, 05:04 AM) *
That's something I really need to address, thanks for sharing cool.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 22 2021, 09:14 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
At 07:50 that's exactly the reason I pay classical position wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:25 PM