Open Letter To Gmc, and status report from Spiderusalem
Spiderusalem
May 10 2008, 06:22 AM
GMC:er
Dear GMC

It’s been nearly 9 months since I joined this wonderful site for the first time, and its been 4 months since my dramatic decline of activity here (which some of you may have noticed). I’ve been trying to come back ever since but my journey has taken me well out of the realm of online lessons and into the real world.

9 months ago also marks the moment I decided to devote my life to the professional, intellectual, and spiritual pursuit of music. Its been rough, and they have been some of the most difficult, most embarrassing, and ultimately most rewarding 9 months of my life. I’ve hit dead end after dead end in my learning process, I’ve struggled to learn musical notation, I’ve spent many late nights at home or at coffee shops tirelessly mapping out fretboard patterns that I would only throw away the next morning, I’ve had my guitar stolen, I’ve straight up hated playing guitar sometimes. But I kept at it. A year ago I didn’t know what an octave was, or what “diatonic” meant. Today I’m sight reading bebop, improvising flamenco, and modulating in my head. I sought a life which meant perpetual rigorous practice and study, but rewarded me with love (in many senses of the word), and though my journey has taken me away from this place, its clear to me that I would not have made it where I am today if I didn’t have GMC to guide me through the darkness in my first crucial months of learning.

Without GMC to help me, I wouldn’t have ventured into the realm of classical guitar and jazz.

Hell, I wouldn’t have even been able to understand jazz.

I wouldn’t have been able to play late night blues with the unappreciated virtuoso guitarists that live hard lives on the mean streets of San Francisco.

I wouldn’t have been able to play in shelters for the sick folks, homeless folks, and battered women and children.

I wouldn’t have been able to play actual gigs, and work with other musicians.

I wouldn’t have been able to contribute to a new and developing style of guitar (hip hop classical).

I wouldn’t have been able to take on guitar students of my own.

I wouldn’t have been able to stand out of the crowd, and win over the woman I love.

I wouldn’t have been able to feel closer to a higher spiritual power through the pursuit of music.

But most importantly, I wouldn’t have been able to feel like the man, or the musician I always wanted to be without that crucial first push by the GMC community 9 months ago. For that I thank you, all of my friends and teachers who help foster the next generation of guitarists (myself included). Hopefully one day, I can come back and be an active member again (but that would mean I’m not out working. Blah) I'm sorry if you felt this letter was poorly constructed. I usually spend a lot of time on my posts but not on this one, because right now I'm leaving to go play/study. I just wanted those of you who care to know how I was.

Yours Truly, Spiderusalem

P.S. How are all of you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Vinod Saranga
May 10 2008, 06:31 AM
Acoustic Instructor
Hi Spiderusalem,
Your story is very interesting smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ActiveX
May 10 2008, 06:49 AM
It's good to hear from you again man, it sounds like you've been (and are still on) quite a musical journey.
Sincerely, all the best bro smile.gif

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 10 2008, 06:58 AM
Instructor
GMC are changing our life !!! that's the true, and it's fantastic !!!!! biggrin.gif I love this site guys, it's a dream became in a reality smile.gif

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
May 10 2008, 08:21 AM
Oh Spidey - I'm so happy for you and you totally rock for taking such a courageous journey.
Thankyou for playing to sick folks, homeless folks, and battered women and children.
Thankyou for sharing your new kind of music with the streets of San Francisco and the world.
Have fun with your loves - both of them!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
AudunESP
May 10 2008, 08:50 AM
Spidey, what a great story.I Think you nearly forced a tear out of me happy.gif
Its really great how you managed to have THAT progress in such a few months, you must really be a musical prodigy!
And...the woman you loved, did you really win her? wub.gif

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 10 2008, 09:17 AM
Instructor
nice story spiderusalem and interesting .i think now you put your legs on the right step.
thats very important .i am sure you will be a good musician & player in a short time smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
May 10 2008, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Good luck Spider

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 10 2008, 09:48 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Great to hear from you again Spider- you have come a long way it seems! Congrats!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 10 2008, 10:46 AM
Instructor
Glad to hear GMC have done so much for you!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 10 2008, 10:49 AM
Ahh.. I missed you'r posts man, no matter how long they are I'm always glued to the end! I think you went through a great sounding journey.. and the good news is, you'r journey only begun smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 10 2008, 10:50 AM
Congratulations man and a really moving story. I hope you feel your life is going in the right direction and you are motivating others I think in going to any lengths to get to where you want to be in life. You can force your own destiny but it takes a lot of work.

I wish you the best and whenever you do post on here we'll still remember who you are smile.gif

Good luck in the future man

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 10 2008, 11:25 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
All the best for your journey smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 10 2008, 12:21 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Spidey!

Well for sure, things have been quieter around here and you have been missed, but man, your story is inspiring - you were away from GMC for the ONLY good reason that there is to be away from GMC - to practice and play hard and become a better player!

It sounds like you have made some amazing progress (damn, sightreading bebop is hard!) I am truly happy that you are on this path - drop by occasionally and update us, please!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 10 2008, 12:35 PM
Singing Instructor
Great for you man,even I start to practice guitar with GMC smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Canis
May 10 2008, 12:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great story, Spider biggrin.gif Glad to see that GMC helped you in the right direction ^^
GMC really is a place of miracles and dreams biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 10 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Good luck Spider

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
skennington
May 10 2008, 03:04 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Moving story man! I wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors. I joined GMC a month or so befor you left and really enjoyed reading your posts. Hope to see back soon!

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 10 2008, 03:56 PM
Spider your back!thats a great story, and i was one of the people who missed your hilarious polls.Welcome back man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Hey man, your story is great, and I'm glad you found your goals and love fro music. Keep rockin man, don't ever stop! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:17 AM