Creepy Sounding Track, New Experimental Type Track
steve25
Nov 2 2010, 08:24 PM
GMC:er
Hi Guys,

Me and a friend of mine have been messing about the past couple of days with a track which I can only describe as creepy. Our idea for this was to create some music that would be best suited for a horror movie or a survival horror game or something like that. Not your typical music to listen to but I think we've kind of achieved that vision. It's nowhere near finished but I thought I would share with you what we've got so far and see what you guys think.

Not much guitar to hear here, yet. But it'd be good to get an opinion on what you think of it and if it conjures any sort of images in your head as you listen to it. Be sure to hear it through some decent headphones/speakers and up loud to get the full effect wink.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Output.mp3 ( 2.29MB ) Number of downloads: 537

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OzRob
Nov 3 2010, 04:12 AM
It's a very nice start, just build out the feeling with atmospheric textures, keep it going and let it climax. As an example here's a piece I'm working on (not finished yet) for an upcoming album:

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3017187

What program are you using? Sounds like Heavyocity stuff to my ears.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 3 2010, 11:36 AM
Good sounding track. We've expanded on it a little bit perhaps not in a direction we thought but I think it works. I've included it in this post. The ending part isn't finished though still some things to do and need to re-record the piano part.

For recording I'm using REAPER, My friend is using Logic Pro 8 I think. Some of the piano sounds are built into Logic and in fact it has a library of sounds so I can't really say exactly what he is using. For my piano sounds I'm using True Pianos. Some of the strings were done using GPO and any other sounds I made were created with NI Evolve Mutations 1 and 2

This post has been edited by steve25: Nov 3 2010, 11:43 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Output_2.mp3 ( 3.04MB ) Number of downloads: 170

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 3 2010, 03:32 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow, that sounds creepy-great!, really smile.gif

Definitely feels like something for a movie or TV series, I can think of vampires, serial killers, and heros lost in the dark.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 3 2010, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 3 2010, 04:32 PM) *
Wow, that sounds creepy-great!, really smile.gif

Definitely feels like something for a movie or TV series, I can think of vampires, serial killers, and heros lost in the dark.

Thanks Fran, I'm glad what we had in mind is coming across that way. Will definitely upload it when it's completed. Might be a little while yet not sure. I'm also working on a metal track at the same time.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Nov 4 2010, 01:30 AM
I recognize the Evolve sounds. It's sounding good. Some suggestions that might help...

1) Know where the track is going. At 0:51 there's a hit, followed by a softer hit and then the choral fade then the piano build. That point would be a scene transition, so you need to know where the piano part is going. It sounds more like a rebuild into a new section rather than an outro. I realise it's a WIP, so that's something to think about as you keep developing. The music carries the story and sometimes tells it without any characters speaking.

2) At 1:04 try playing the left-hand chord an octave or two lower to give it a real menacing edge. I'm not saying it would be better, only to try it and see how it sounds and fits your vision.

3) Don't take this negatively. smile.gif You've got good ideas.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 4 2010, 02:07 AM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Nov 4 2010, 02:30 AM) *
I recognize the Evolve sounds. It's sounding good. Some suggestions that might help...

1) Know where the track is going. At 0:51 there's a hit, followed by a softer hit and then the choral fade then the piano build. That point would be a scene transition, so you need to know where the piano part is going. It sounds more like a rebuild into a new section rather than an outro. I realise it's a WIP, so that's something to think about as you keep developing. The music carries the story and sometimes tells it without any characters speaking.

2) At 1:04 try playing the left-hand chord an octave or two lower to give it a real menacing edge. I'm not saying it would be better, only to try it and see how it sounds and fits your vision.

3) Don't take this negatively. smile.gif You've got good ideas.

Thanks for your tips. As for number 1, don't worry I have some nice plans for where this is going and yes you are right it is taking it into a different direction like a transition which is kind of what I imagined. I wanted to do something that was a bit unpredictable it would be easy enough to keep building up and building up until the end of the track but I wanted to challenge myself and do something that perhaps the listener wouldn't expect. And you're right it isn't an outro the track is too short to think about an ending yet I think smile.gif.

As for 2, I'm not actually sure if I can reach that range haha I'll have a double check but I think my piano instrument can't go an octave lower but I could always try another instrument to go lower?

3, you could call this crap and I wouldn't be offended as long as you gave me a good reason smile.gif I appreciate all feedback and suggestions

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 4 2010, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 3 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Thanks for your tips. As for number 1, don't worry I have some nice plans for where this is going and yes you are right it is taking it into a different direction like a transition which is kind of what I imagined. I wanted to do something that was a bit unpredictable it would be easy enough to keep building up and building up until the end of the track but I wanted to challenge myself and do something that perhaps the listener wouldn't expect. And you're right it isn't an outro the track is too short to think about an ending yet I think smile.gif.

As for 2, I'm not actually sure if I can reach that range haha I'll have a double check but I think my piano instrument can't go an octave lower but I could always try another instrument to go lower?

3, you could call this crap and I wouldn't be offended as long as you gave me a good reason smile.gif I appreciate all feedback and suggestions

It does sound a bit creep smile.gif Kind of Cinematic too. Nicely done! Keep goin!
Todd

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 4 2010, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 4 2010, 05:42 AM) *
It does sound a bit creep smile.gif Kind of Cinematic too. Nicely done! Keep goin!
Todd

Thanks Todd smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:18 AM